never knew that woodworking shows were so dangerous

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from the woodworking show in Chantilly and I've got to say, I never realized how dangerous woodworking shows could be -- to your wallet. I walked in expecting to spend some money but man . . . :roll:

The Lie Nielsen booth was one of the smaller ones there but it had a consistently large crowd. I tried out a couple of their joinery saws and smaller planes -- #1, #2 & #3. Deneb was working the booth and gave a nice, informative demonstration on cutting houndstooth dovetails. I got to check out their bench chisels and all I can say is -- niiice. My wife was checking out the tite mark gauge and other layout tools, making mental notes on the dovetails and letting me know when she saw Deneb do something that I should incorporate into my techniques. We ended up spending over an hour at the booth hanging out, talking with Deneb and making our order. By the time we left, we'd ended up spending about nine hundred bucks.

I wanted the five piece chisel set but my wife said "why don't you get the nine piece set?" Who am I to argue? :) She wanted a #1, a #102 and a mini tite-mark. I picked up the nine piece chisel set, a #100.5 and some other small items. We have to wait for the chisels, #100.5 and #1 to be delivered.

Next to the Lie Nielsen booth was a power carving demo with a guy using an air-powered tool that looked a lot like a dentist's drill. My wife is quite the artist and has wanted to try something new for a while -- she mentioned lathes before the show. When she tried the power carver, she loved it. So, we dropped almost four hundred at that booth.

The only other thing that I needed from the show were some fittings for my dust collector. Having just ordered a mortising machine last week, I really didn't have any more cash to let go.

All in all, it was a really fun day. A neighbor was watching the girls for us so my wife and I got to spend a lot of time together, spend a lot of money together and plan out a bunch of future projects. :D

Dave
You ARE a lucky Man! Having the Wife lust over L-N stuff AND encourage you to buy is too good to believe.
You sure you're not making this up :lol:
Congrats,
Philly :D
P.s. What did you think of the smaller bench planes after seeing them in the flesh?

Yes, or Konrad Sauer's booth. What was all this about being responsible...? 8)
Those chisels are very nice. You did well to get them.

Dave

Sounds like one of those special days to remember.

Normally, I'm completely immune to impulse buying but I confess that woodworking shows can crack open my wallet like nothing else can. Over here, the biggest show is, or rather was, sponsored by a firm called Axminster and at their last show, I found myself drawn irresistibly to the LN stand. There was just something about that dazzling array of bronze, brass, cherry wood and ductile iron that made my credit card pop into my hand. It had a will of its own! A short while later, I found myself clutching one of those brown paper carrier bags with an innocent-looking brown cardboard box in it. Luckily, I had a long drive home so that I could work out some sort of justification...

Regards.

devonwoody":33p2uzgb said:
Dave, with your lady in such a good mood I would have stopped by the local motorcar sales room. :)

lol We did see a nice Porsche outside the show that she kidded me for eyeing. :lol:

Frank D.":2r7ramjb said:
Yes, or Konrad Sauer's booth. What was all this about being responsible...? 8)
Those chisels are very nice. You did well to get them.

I can't wait to get them. They feel very nice in the hand. I saw the Ashley Iles chisels at the show after I ordered the Lie Nielsens. The weight of the LN's seem a little more balanced than the AI's but the AI's are very nice in the hand too.

The salesperson asked if I wanted the set w/ the toolrool. At the time I said 'no' but I'm having second thoughts and want to contact LN about it. I've heard that the leather can encourage rust in certain environments but I picked up a bottle of camellia oil from the booth too so that would help. :)

Philly":27xbvn5v said:
Dave
You ARE a lucky Man! Having the Wife lust over L-N stuff AND encourage you to buy is too good to believe.
You sure you're not making this up :lol:
Congrats,
Philly :D
P.s. What did you think of the smaller bench planes after seeing them in the flesh?

Making it up? Nah. :wink: My wife's a keeper. We enjoyed reading the comments together from everyone this morning.

The smaller bench planes are nice. About what I expected. I use my Stanley #3 a lot for smoothing smaller pieces. I'd like to have a #2 and the LN is easier to swallow when the Stanley #2's go for just as much on eBay. The #1 is tiny. She really likes it -- she has very small hands -- and I'll use it at times where I might have used a block plane as a smoother. It's an extravagance and a novelty at the same time -- definitely not one of the first planes to purchase.

Have you gotten your saw yet? We're waiting for pics. I haven't posted pics of mine yet as I've been too busy this weekend. I've also been working on a webpage (http://ydb1md.googlepages.com/home) and need to build some more content for it.
Too many projects and not enough time. . . :-({|=

:lol:

Mdotflorida":1lugznww said:
Dave

What a great lady. Has she got a sister ? :mrgreen:

Jeff

She does and she's single but she's two time zones away from us so that puts her . . . seven(?) time zones away from you. :wink:

Latest posts

Back