Need to buy a new drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slemishwoodcrafts

Established Member
Reaction score
As he title suggests, I'm looking to buy a new drill as my current one is getting a bit past it.

I've always fancied a dewalt and screwfix have one on offer just now, a combi dril with two batteries and 30min charge time. It's £99.99
a9bccb9c1d26e2b997afcce6d186b5d1.png

But I have also spied this one from erbauer a twin pack of combo drill and drill driver with an offer on just now of an extra battery for free. It's £119.99.
490c23c62603ff7e88bbea19af48e298.png

Has anyone any experience of the erbauer brand? Or should I stick to my guns and buy the dewalt?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience of the erbauer, but I have had (an earlier version of) the deWalt for about 15 years, with quite a lot of (amateur not pro) use, and it has performed very well. One battery (out of two, which I alternate) stopped holding its charge, but that was easily replaced. I'd buy the same again.

Keith

I have used some erbauer tools (not cordless though) and they were good value for money.

My dad exchanged an erbaurer set more than once, before returning; he reverted to his trusty Makita 9.6v, but latterly bought a Dewalt set (all be it top of the tree, at the time).

But many people seem to use erbaurer with success; I guess it's that consistency of quality that is a part of what you pay for with the bigger names.

neither.. wait for some blackfriday deals, and spend a bit extra and get a decent bosch/makita kit , that dewalt screwdriver is the cheapest of the cheapest drills there is-built for the price.. Erbauer..wouldn't touch it, just a crude unrefinied stuff..does the job but you won't be 100% sattisfied with the quality and will always wonder what if I just spent a bit extra and bought something nicer...
Buy cheap, buy twice.

that dewalt screwdriver

It's a drill/driver not a screwdriver.

I bought a similar Dewalt Combi Drill/Driver for £129 with just the one 1.5 amp battery. I've had it for almost four years now and I've no complaints whatsoever and would happily buy the same again. I'm still on the original battery too. I toyed with the idea of getting a second battery but I don't use the tool professionally and the battery charges so quick, it's ready to go by the time I've had a cup of tea and a sandwich. I've been very pleased indeed with mine and can certainly recommend it.

JJ1":3sxhnmbg said:
that dewalt screwdriver

It's a drill/driver not a screwdriver.

I bought a similar Dewalt Combi Drill/Driver for £129 with just the one 1.5 amp battery. I've had it for almost four years now and I've no complaints whatsoever and would happily buy the same again. I'm still on the original battery too. I toyed with the idea of getting a second battery but I don't use the tool professionally and the battery charges so quick, it's ready to go by the time I've had a cup of tea and a sandwich. I've been very pleased indeed with mine and can certainly recommend it.

Sir, see you have nothing to compare it with, so you think it's superb.. Once you use something better your opinion would change.
sure it's fine for light diy, but why not get something better for more or less the same price?

And yes that thing looks like a cheap ''screwdriver'' to me..

http://www.powertools2u.co.uk/Black-Fri ... nly%29.htm
here's a nice blackfriday deal, proper tool not that cheapo dewalt junk,

£56 for that one
charger is £32
and you can buy 2ah battery for £20
more or less the same price & the guy gets proper tool not a cheapo black&decker stuff what that dewalt is..

ok I should probably stop commenting and wasting my time with this trying to talk people out of not-that-great tools it never helps anyone nor anyone even cares.

There isn't that much difference between any of the drills IMO. I tested quite a few of the 10.8 systems out and went for the Dewalt on the feel of the trigger and it's LED light. Battery life wasn't a huge issue as I just use it in my workshop. If you are doing site work different features will matter I suppose.

This review of 18v drills pretty much makes the same point, all the manufacturers do a pretty good job:

https://youtu.be/Y4BkB9Q52LU

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

1. Work out what you need (drill/driver, combo drill, impact driver..., 18v, 10.8v... 1, 2, 3 batteries)
2. Decide how much you can afford (you do get more tool for more money; metal gears, brushless motors etc, but stick to what you can afford/ justify)
3. Handle the models that fit the bill; as dodgers say, most are pretty good at a given price point. My last two sets have been Makita because I find the ergonomics better than Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi and Panasonic (the brands locally available); you might find another brand preferable.

Daft question time, what's the difference between an impact, a drill and a driver?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

not much between a drill and a driver
i prefer lighter weight for driver
impact, if you have to ask then you are missing out
I thought what would I want impact for and dismissed for yrs
it is my go to now for all duties
i use it for light duties or for ramming a six inch screw in without a pilot hole
the 18v makita impact is the one i have, and if u get stuck it will work as a drill too
Steve

The only daft question is the one you didn't ask.
Impact drivers are primarily for screwing not drilling. They have a hammering action to knock the screw round when doing the final tightening. Drill drivers are mostly drills but also have a clutch that can slip at a given torque to prevent you from over tightening the screw. Combi drivers are drill drivers with an extra percussion mode for drilling brick or blocks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Never found the need for an impact driver, my 18v DeWalt will drive a deck screw through a 100mm timber beam, bought a Hitachi drill and driver set for my OH to carry out her craft work with Bamboo and she still has to borrow my DeWalt at times.

Mike

The first two 18v DeWalt's I have are over 25years old, out of the four Nimh batteries that came with them, three are still in good condition, impressed enough to buy two more 18v DeWalts for my remote workshop, they, over the last five years have re-furbished the whole house without complaint and are still using the original batteries, so the sweeping statement that DeWalt are not as good as others, is IMO way off the mark.

Mike

An impact driver will drive decking screws in far far quicker than a drill driver. Last Saturday I was using a Ryobi and a Makita impact driver and they were as good as each other, if anything I'd say the Ryobi edged it with its lighting. £60 for a bare tool is brilliant value for money.

I do wish people would stop calling Dewalt Black and Decker. We know they are the same company but so are Jaguar and Tata trucks and so are Porche and Skoda but it doesn't mean you're buying the same thing in a different outfit.

I can also say this owning exactly 1 Dewalt tool and that's a speed square! I have however watched lost of drill comparisons etc and Dewalt always does well.

I do think you need to try different drills but the cheaper end of Makita and Dewalt etc are all a bit cheap and cheerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Makita and Bosch drill/screwdrivers and they do not compare to the DeWalt, as you say the comparison can not be made just because one company own the other.

There is only one person on this thread calling DeWalt Black and Decker and their vorciforous opinion is just that an opinion not a fact.

Mike

Just to give balance, I have that dewalt drill/driver and its fine, ignore the opinion given above, he appears to have an axe to grind. You can buy better drill/drivers, dewalt sell better ones which cost more.
The important thing is if it does what you need then why pay more.
Before the aforementioned person chastises this comment, I have more expensive tools but only the ones that warranted the extra expense.

Latest posts

Back