Need to buy a new drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using the Erbauer one recently (or something looking very similar). It seemed reasonably well made, but it's biggest advantage over my expensive Makita was weight. Very light and easy to use all day long and above head.

As has been said, there is a big difference in performance between different models of the same brand. I bought a Makita 14v and I can stop the chuck just by holding tight when on max screwdriving torque setting. I then bought a Site 18v expecting a big improvement but it is pretty much the same. Later I bought a second hand 18v Makita MX or whatever and the difference is just amazing. It is a lot heavier, better built, and I can't stop it on torque 8, and it goes up to torque 15. It really has some punch. All these are NiCd, I haven't graduated to Lithium yet.
So I think comparing a cut price deWalt to a Erbauer is a bit meaningless. I have read reviews of Erbauer being difficult to get spares for though so personally I would avoid them. I think that the Makita offer looks pretty good, but I have enough cordless drills for now - and more than enough corded drills!! ( About 11, not even sure how many).

K

ok I should probably stop commenting and wasting my time with this trying to talk people out of not-that-great tools it never helps anyone nor anyone even cares.

That sounds like a good idea :)

Even the cheapest offering of branded cordless drill, is probably better than what was available 10 years ago. We're spoilt for choice now.

Coley

i was in screw fix earlier today and the manager was telling me to hold off until they announce their black friday promos tonight as there is a good chance of big reductions on several tools. Had a play about with the Dewalt drill though and I have to say I did like it. Felt solid and well made and not too heavy.
I'll see what bargains are available come Black friday but Dewalt are out front just now.

Owsnap clearly hates dewalt and that's fine but he needs to get a grip. The drill listed by the op is a cheap dewalt but makita, bosch, erbauer etc. also do cheap options. I am a professional user with experience of most brands and my opinion stays the same. Buy the pro range of any brand and I can't see you being disappointed. There will always be brand loyal naysayers but everyone had an opinion whether it's correct or not. Look at the tool you want, the tools you might need in the future and then pick a brand. Failing that, go to axminster etc. and actually pick them up you might be surprised which you prefer!

I'm not getting into a brand battle by the way but I've bought, used and broken a lot of tools so this is just my advice based on experience.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I am amazed by the new Makita 10.8v range. I recently bought the drill and impact driver kit. They are so light and comfortable to hold and they really pack a punch. Longevity? who knows yet. But then again I am now a 63 yr old DIY merchant so they will probably last me :) Like everyone I have an old favourite, mine's a Bosch 1800LI -15 years old still going strong original battery etc. but it hasn't done a fraction of the work that my Makita corded drill, bought in the 70s when I was on the tools, would have done in less than one year, and that still works too!

Grip, weight, feel it's almost getting subjective provided (as mentioned) you stick to good brands.

So disappointed with the Black Friday deals screwfix launched today. Will keep an eye out in case other places have good ones tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slemishwoodcrafts":2nsurm4t said:
So disappointed with the Black Friday deals screwfix launched today. Will keep an eye out in case other places have good ones tomorrow

Me too, absolutely nothing wow about them!

Hopefully Axminster will have something decent

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Estoril-5":4hj2gsgs said:
slemishwoodcrafts":4hj2gsgs said:

Me too, absolutely nothing wow about them!

Hopefully Axminster will have something decent

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

They have some decent savings but not on the lathe I was hoping for! The Bosch drill looks interesting though, anybody any thoughts on it?
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gsb-18 ... 0ah-103547

Blister":2x0i5mic said:
B&Q are doing a 18volt Dewalt drill for £65

The best deal was at Axy, where a Bosch with 2 x 2.0ah batteries and wireless charging was yours for £99.96. Sadly and predictably, they have all gone. You snooze, you lose. :roll:

Edit. Just found it here for £102. Only 7 left but it's a good deal. Same one with wireless charging at Screwfix is £189.99.

https://www.cnspowertools.co.uk/bosch-g ... carry-case

skipdiver":2x92t9jo said:
Blister":2x92t9jo said:

The best deal was at Axy, where a Bosch with 2 x 2.0ah batteries and wireless charging was yours for £99.96. Sadly and predictably, they have all gone. You snooze, you lose. :roll:

Whilst I don't usually saying anything negative about Axminster this was not impressive. I looked at their Black Friday offers very soon after they were released and that item was already sold out. So either they had very limited stock or a lot of people were tipped off about the offer and bought it immediately. Neither of those reflects that well on Axminster. Not that worried as not in the market for one at the moment, but all the same.

Terry.

Wizard9999":5n00krlu said:
skipdiver":5n00krlu said:
Blister":5n00krlu said:

Whilst I don't usually saying anything negative about Axminster this was not impressive. I looked at their Black Friday offers very soon after they were released and that item was already sold out. So either they had very limited stock or a lot of people were tipped off about the offer and bought it immediately. Neither of those reflects that well on Axminster. Not that worried as not in the market for one at the moment, but all the same.

Terry.

Yeah, think you're right. I was in the market for one but as you say, they were gone before you could blink, so it does make you wonder. Have found them elsewhere in stock slightly dearer as my edit shows but i'm going to resist the temptation and buy some new batteries instead for the plethora of dead cordless drills i already own. Was nearly sucked in by the shiny new things. Must resist.

Well just to wade back in on this. I bought a Dewalt Drill and Impact this week. Both brushless and I could find no difference in performance between it and the Makita equivalent, if anything I felt the Dewalt more powerful but really nothing in it. I did however find it more comfortable and lighter than the Makita, a lot lighter even with all metal chuck and gearbox. Hopefully it will be a good buy. It was £300 for the set but I bought the two separately for £250. So £150 for a Brushless Dewalt with 2x2ah batteries was a bit of a result I thought.

Back