Need help staining pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony1987

Reaction score
Hello, im looking for some help with new pine. Trying to achieve this colour on a project looks like it has brown undertones and maybe whitewashed or maybe a cream stain and matt lacquer any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Screenshot_20230308_220847.jpg
Screenshot_20230308-220921_Gallery.jpg

Stained pine can turn out blotchy and best avoided but If you have to use shellac first and sand it with fine paper then follow up with stain of choice.

Stained pine can turn out blotchy and best avoided but If you have to use shellac first and sand it with fine paper then follow up with stain of choice.
Thanks I was thinking of trying some softwood lye first but just trying to get that creamy brown colour without the yellows is quite difficult

Your picture Tony looks very much like pine coated with Osmo Raw oil, it has white pigment in it to reduce the yellowing associated with pine & other light woods over time.

Agree with Myfordman. Any staining directly on pine will be blotchy, so sealing that with shellac first is a great help. Most industrial finishing will be tinted lacquer of some sort. I would also say that pine darkens with exposure to light, which kills most of the yellow.

Whenever I've stained pine to reduce the blotching I mix up a weak PVA and water wash, paint it on, let it dry then apply the stain of your choice I like Littlefair's water based stains. I like to do a tester board as you may need a stronger PVA mix depending on the timber itself. It doesn't stop blotching 100% but it definitely reduces it.

Matt

Looks like you want to lighten it. I followed Mark Finney's advice -
I wanted my pine floor to be finished but look unfinished, but mostly wanted to avoid the yellowing. It still looks great a few years later. Oil will give a more natural, arguably nicer finish but will require maintenance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200205_212525.jpg
    IMG_20200205_212525.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back