Need another gouge. :-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

The big one I forget the exact terminology.

Where is a good place to go?

How much should I spend? (other things being equal economy class only please)

TIA

David

I bought some of the Axminster "perform" range last year, after nearly coming a cropper using a set of cheap & nasty starter sets.
They are reasonably priced at <£20 each, and have been good enough quality to forgive all of my beginners mistakes.
I assume it is the roughing gouge you are after? Mine has been sharpened now, time without number, and it still has many years' service left in it by the look of it.

Tazmaniandevil":1qv7toi8 said:
I bought some of the Axminster "perform" range last year, after nearly coming a cropper using a set of cheap & nasty starter sets.
They are reasonably priced at <£20 each, and have been good enough quality to forgive all of my beginners mistakes.
I assume it is the roughing gouge you are after? Mine has been sharpened now, time without number, and it still has many years' service left in it by the look of it.

=D>

Sorted

All the stuff I was finding yesterday was > 50 which was abit scary....

Thanks for you link as well Nev.

Do get the impression that axminster is a not bad place for vfm generally?

I got mine from the tool post, and from the hamlet range, seem fine to me, you'll pay between £20-30 pounds for each tool, more for a bowl gouge

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Why not look on eBay for good quality second hand chisels?

This method has worked well for me as I have picked up £40+ gouges for as low as £15 and I have bought a record power oval skew (brand new) for £9

Other than that, the Axminster stuff is good quality and very good value!

Davidf":23s91j04 said:
It is yes. Also, don't overlook the Tool Post. Peter gives an exceptional personal service, and the quality of the stock is guaranteed. And pretty competitive too.

Tazmaniandevil":twu2buh7 said:
Davidf":twu2buh7 said:
It is yes. Also, don't overlook the Tool Post. Peter gives an exceptional personal service, and the quality of the stock is guaranteed. And pretty competitive too.

8) 8)

I received the gouge a few days ago.

I ve just unpacked it; it looks VERY good. Good call. :D

David

=Adam=":102ok043 said:
Why not look on eBay for good quality second hand chisels?

This method has worked well for me as I have picked up £40+ gouges for as low as £15 and I have bought a record power oval skew (brand new) for £9

Other than that, the Axminster stuff is good quality and very good value!

I did look but maybe it was just bad timing as there seemed to be little and what there was seemed dear.

Back