Native Red Squirrels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons":1k0h6mft said:
As said, it's the virus which is the real problem though the signs are that a small number are developing a resistance. Though the larger bullying and more aggressive greys are now here for good, I think without the pox problem the reds will regain numbers in many areas, thankfully from my point of view, Northumberland being one of them.
I watched one little fella last week for about 10 minutes during which time he burried at least 20 acorns - doubt he'll remember where they are :lol:

Bob

There were reports of possible red squirrel immunity in the press several years back but as far as I know it was because a few antibodies had been found in reds that had dies from the pox. The problem is that the virus kills so quickly the reds don't have enough time to develop immunity - http://www.scottishsquirrels.org.uk/squ ... pox-virus/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthn ... vival.html mentions anecdotal evidence of possible immunity in the Formby red population but no hard facts

Completely incidental, but one of the camera traps set up to monitor squirrels in Aberdeen city recorded a Pine Marten a few months back. There are also signs of them in the Gight nature reserve. So there's another bit of good news.

Great news Dick. Quite rightly great concern is shown for the plight of the Black Rhino etc but most people have little perception of the pressures our native animals face

RogerS":12bk0evo said:
I'm doing my bit !

Arm the squirrels.

squirrel+army.jpg

Revenge will be sweet.

Coincidentally - spotted a red today whilst returning from working in Harwood forest, Northumberland. First one I've seen for months.

We've got quite a healthy population here in West Cumbria - Dearham to be more precise. On a regular basis we spot them bounding across the bridge. They lift our hearts every time; we love them to bits. :D

Mark

Mentioning bridges...........
My daughter was project officer for some work on the local burn some ten years ago, and one thing they did was to install a rope bridge over the burn between a nature reserve and the adjacent conifer woodland. Not sure why, as there was already a pedestrian bridge for humans about 10 yards downstream, but someone thought it was a good idea.
Last spring, I was just going to cross the pedestrian bridge one early morning when a red squirrel came hurtling across the bridge towards me. It then decided I was a bit big and fierce, so turned round, ran back into the reserve, upstream and across the rope bridge. So it obviously knew the rope bridge was there, but being a sensible squirrel, usually took the easy route :D

dickm":1opbittc said:
Mentioning bridges...........
My daughter was project officer for some work on the local burn some ten years ago, and one thing they did was to install a rope bridge over the burn between a nature reserve and the adjacent conifer woodland. Not sure why, as there was already a pedestrian bridge for humans about 10 yards downstream, but someone thought it was a good idea.
Last spring, I was just going to cross the pedestrian bridge one early morning when a red squirrel came hurtling across the bridge towards me. It then decided I was a bit big and fierce, so turned round, ran back into the reserve, upstream and across the rope bridge. So it obviously knew the rope bridge was there, but being a sensible squirrel, usually took the easy route :D

Brilliant story !! Many thanks for sharing... =D> :D

duncanh":232rzw1o said:
Kielder is their last big stronghold in England and the greys don't really get in there as they are too heavy for the trees.

What a load of cobblers! There is no significant size difference.

In the 50's and 60's we used to kill greys with air rifles and catapults to get the one shilling per tail bounty!

Richard

We used to hand the squirrel tails in at the police station, fill in a brief form, sign a receipt and get paid in cash! It was useful pocket money.

Richard

The grey is both larger and heavier, being 23 to 30 cm long excluding tail and 400g to 600 g compared to the reds 19 to 23cm excluding tail and body weight of 250g to 340 g

Max Power":1q87u85c said:
The grey is both larger and heavier, being 23 to 30 cm long excluding tail and 400g to 600 g compared to the reds 19 to 23cm excluding tail and body weight of 250g to 340 g

+1
Having seen both at close quarters, I can vouch for that!
Not sure about the greys being too heavy for conifers. Anyway there are a lot of deciduous trees in Kielder as well.

Co-incidently there was one in our garden this morning and it was tiny :? I wouldn't have noticed but he was in the top of an alder tree and it was the sound of the blackbirds mobbing him that attracted my attention. Must have been a juvenile - won't find hazelnuts up there :lol:

Bob

:shock: Ouch that made my eyes water

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

There are some Red's in East Anglia near Holt. I personally don't like grey squirrels, If I owned a shot gun it would be game on for them. I do think we should do all we can to protect our Red's even if that means eradicating the Greys from the UK's Shores.

Spindle":23wowoyi said:
Hi

We're lucky up here in northern Scotland - the greys don't seem to have been sucessful. I don't recall ever seeing a grey here but reds are a frequent sight in the pine woods.

Mick

I think red squirrels can find enough food in pine woods to live from but tree rats can't.

When I was young back in the 50's we rarely saw a tree rat, and when we did, likely as not it would be shot. In those days most of us older children carried air rifles and were on the lookout for wood pigeons and rabbits. Of course red squirrels were sacrosanct; a special place in hell is reserve for anyone killing one of them.

A very different world and a different time.

Back