Name That Machine Returns!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, well it's Sunday and I'm bored...... Well not really, it's just I'm lazing a bit at home and I've decided to see if I can put up a couple more "mystery" machines in the hope that they'll confuse and befuddle a bit more than the last one did (about 1 hour - pretty good). See here we have 'em....

Page1891947VF-1.jpg

and

Page1911947ZI-1.jpg

What do you reckon they are?

Scrit

....and a clue. The top one isn't a mangle for woodbutchers

Pic 1 is for getting water out of wood it used to be called a mangle :D

Pic 2 Looks if it might apply glue, or perhaps it makes chips as in "Fish & chips" dunno honest. :D Great fun though.

Just put my brains back in,,, :D Pic 1 a veneer roller!*? perhaps

Well JFC is pretty near on the first one, but has anyone got any suggestions for the "tennis ball thrower"?

Scrit

Is the first one is a veneer flatener
The second for speading glue on a board before it is has the glue put on it :-k 8-[

PIC 2 is it for putting the toothpaste in tubes...... :lol:
noone mentioned it had to be woodwork related..

or is it a sawdust brickette maker????
early chipboard/MDF machine?

its definately made for despensing something ( stating the obvious.)

Was the first to make "Printed Oak" out of cheaper wood? I stripped a lot of furniture in my fathers repair/refinishing business when I was young. The Auction houses bought container loads of English furniture and would drop them off for refinishing before they were auctioned off. The pieces with printed grain couldn't be stripped without removing the faux finishes. The Ikea furniture of their time. :)

I thought the second machine was a glue spreader at first but since someone else guessed that and didn't win the shop full of tools, I now think it was another "Printer" for mouldings.

Am I the winner? Do I collect the prize of a shop full of tools if I answer the skill testing question and send you the $25,000.00 shipping and handling fee? :eek:ccasion5: =D> :ho2

Is the second one a machine for lobbing difficult "what machine is this?" questions at unsuspecting forums - after first sufficiently reducing the size of the picture that you haven't a hope of working it out...? :p :lol:

Alf":i293a9ay said:
Is the second one a machine for lobbing difficult "what machine is this?" questions at unsuspecting forums - after first sufficiently reducing the size of the picture that you haven't a hope of working it out...? :p :lol:
OK, OK - I've replaced the images with larger ones, if it helps :lol:

As it happens one of the suggestions for the first one is very close, but no banana. The sceond one, however, only lukewarm so far

Scrit

I know, machine 2 is for trapping death - tell me it isn't so. :lol:

Please, please sir, I know what it is. Please sir....
The 2nd machine automatically applies sealant to the end grain of boards?
Or perhaps something that applies sand or other non slip component to boards?
I'm right sir, aren't I?

Noel, who hasn't a baldy notion.............

I reckon picture 2 is a machine from Tesco's. They shove potato and minced beef into that shute and it churns out those awful, ready-made shepherds pies. They then go to machine 1 which wraps them in cling film :lol:

Paul

I'll give you machine #1 to encourage you as someone got so close. It is a (panel) glue coater normally used to apply a film of glue to a panel surface before applying the veneer and pressing. The "veneer coater" suggestion was very near (only the wrong side of the equation so to speak), but I reckon one of these machines would shred a sheet of veneer, not to mention melting the glue stitching......

Now the second one aqpparently could have required steam in its' original incarnation. Modern ones, however, do not.

Scrit

i wonder whether the first is a veneer making machine, i e
you put a log in and there are knives to strip off the veneer.

second one looks like a machine for making joints on end grain,
maybe one of those bead lock type fittings?????

or are they both end of southend pier machines of what the butler saw :lol: :? :twisted:

paul :wink:

engineer one":2lrtvgw2 said:
.....maybe one of those bead lock type fittings?????

or are they both end of southend pier machines of what the butler saw :lol: :? :twisted:
The machiner is from a 1947 catalogue, so too early for the first and possibly a bit late for the latter......

In any case they are both woodworking machines :wink:

Scrit

It has a big buttocks with 4 sturdy legs and a large set of gnashers. It advances on the enemy when you hit the start button. Is it a glue drooler?

I machine 2 a dovetailer, but then why would it have used to require steam?

OK, I know, it is a train engine. :idea:

Back