NAILER / STAPLER - best option

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":1j9yu9fg said:
There's a weird thing about compressors in professional cabinet workshops. Anyone under the age of about 25 just loves them. They constantly dust down their work with compressed air, blow their clothes clean at the end of the day, and assemble their jigs with an air powered brad nailer. But anyone over about 40 rarely touches them.

It's like workshop aprons, anyone under 25 wouldn't be seen dead in an apron. Over 40, and they never take them off!

I am sadly not 25 anymore or 40 (yet, but close).....So where do i fit? :D I thought the brad Nailer would help speed up some work for me, juggling this hobby around work and two young children....

I am 54 and have two compressors so I must be one of the exceptions. I have a big Italian one for using the spray guns and bought the biggest Bostitch compressor as a back up one. I have a variety of nail guns from the smallest pin gun to the biggest Bostitch which fires 90mm nails. I bought that one second hand on Ebay for making my log shacks for drying firewood for the stove. The best thing I love about my nail guns though is for making jigs in the workshop. Its quick and easy, and easier to use than screwing bits of mdf together.
I originally thought the Bostitch would be easy to stick in the van or car for doing skirting boards etc in the house. It weighs a ton but at least its on wheels and has a handle for pulling it along.
My wife also insists on me blowing all the dust of my clothes before I come home for tea which is better than hovering myself down!

Mike

i also have a clarke wiz air, which is virtually silent and i use that for airbrushing, but there is no receiver on it, so i have a hose fitted with a male connector each end and can plug the wiz into the other tank and use it that way for nailing and such if i need a quieter operation,

ScottGoddard":1frr9zya said:
I am sadly not 25 anymore or 40 (yet, but close).....So where do i fit?

You're transitioning. Within a year or two you'll be flicking through the apron section of a tool catalogue thinking, "hmm, that pocket would be just right for a 6oz warrington hammer".

:D

custard":3pwf09o8 said:
ScottGoddard":3pwf09o8 said:

You're transitioning. Within a year or two you'll be flicking through the apron section of a tool catalogue thinking, "hmm, that pocket would be just right for a 6oz warrington hammer".

then when you start trying them on and asking " does my bum look big in this"

custard":2hpq56ng said:
ScottGoddard":2hpq56ng said:

Oh God, I'm already there. I've seen a couple of woodworking videos recently where they were wearing the more modern vest versions and thought "hmm, maybe one of those would be handy"...

I have a bespoke denim apron, made by t'other half. I'm 58.

I also have a compressor but i didn't buy it myself. Only use it for a micro pinner.

I have a leather woodworkers apron I think from Axminster, I've had it years but haven't had the nerve to wear it yet, but the urge is growing.

I did have three compressors, gave one away to a member of another forum, then my pa passed away last month so back up to three and likely to stay that way....

I have a 3HP compressor and a little Bostich one that I can carry around. I use some air tools but mainly the nailers. I used to do spraying with the big compressor but not for some time. The little Bostich is adequate for a large nailer that I use for fencing etc.

I am tempted to try a HVLP gun for the large compressor as I have some painting projects coming up. I need to re-read the post given above.

Picking a compressor is difficult as the use can expand/change as they are so many tools available. Whichever one you get I doubt it will sit idle.

Well guys it seems I am nearly twice the age of anyone on this thread, and I have never had, and can't see the need for a compressor, blowing dust around my workshop is not ideal if you are going to spray in the same space, I do love to use my chip extractor to suck the dust off my apron though, give me a perverse sense of pleasure. :lol:

And welding that's something else, leather apron Hmmm. :shock:

Mike

I already had a compressor from when I used to do a lot of auto maintenance and so when I got in to woodworking I got a Makita nailer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K1AXGQY/ ... 31_TE_dp_1. Works well, although the hose attachment is non-standard.

But after a while I also got a battery powered one (which is also a stapler) because it's just easier: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 - was a bit unsure of the brand but it's surprisingly well made.

If you had a bit more to spend, the Ryobi Airstrike is currently at a good price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00GGE8MD6/

For me, having the compressor is useful for the odd thing (like inflating) tyres, but my 2p is if you're starting with nothing, then for the same price as a compressor and nailer you could get a decent battery powered one, which for the convenience I think wins.

Back