Nail punch Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argonaut

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some very old nail punches.
Instead of a flat face, they have a half round ‘dimple, to allow them to fit on the head of a nail better.

Are these still available, and if so do they have a particular name ?

Have you tried googling "nail punch"? There are plenty around.
I have probably a dozen or so a mix of old and modern#

"Nail set" in the United States; and, even today in the big boxy home improvement stores, they come with the dimple on the end.

It would be hard to replicate that if you ever have to regrind one; but you'd have to set a LOT of nails, or be setting nails made from diamond, before that became necessary.

A nail punch has the dimple, center punch has a point and the rest are just a punch. As said above they dont seem to ware out with normal use. I got my second set only as some of the first set got lost.
Regards
John

It would be hard to replicate that if you ever have to regrind one

Not too bad, especially as Dremels are widespread. Chuck the punch up in a lathe and apply a standard cut off wheel such that the two spinning axes are perpendicular. The relative motion will generate the spherical dimple.

A ball burr would do the same job. Because of the square end, it might be difficult to chuck the punch in a normal drill chuck to spin it if you didn't have a lathe.

Got a mixed pack of centre and nail punches from Axminster a while back. The nail punches all have the recess.

I have some very old nail punches.
Instead of a flat face, they have a half round ‘dimple, to allow them to fit on the head of a nail better.

Are these still available, and if so do they have a particular name ?
They are normal nail punches.

Gosh - I never knew nail punches had a dimple in the end. My dad had quite a lot of flat head punches so I used those when they were handed down. He was an engineer however, so his punches were used in metalwork with both straight sides and angled sides. I do have a lovely sprung centre punch to mark a spot which my drill can then centre on. Thanks for the knowledge!

Funilly enough I lost my last Stanley nail punch the other day, very annoying. Bought some cheapo ones from Wickes just because I needed one quick, not nail punches at all just regular flat ends, rubbish.
So, I found a replacement set of 3 stanley ones for a tenner on ebay arrived today, happy days. Should last another 10 years till I lose them all again.

Ollie

Back