Nail puller......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One plus of the parrots beak is the 'slide hammer' action which can give you a bite on the bare shank of a headless nail, even if flush or a bit below the surface

Last edited:
These Crescent ones are brilliant; especially when you've a mountain of nails to pull all at once:

71eecz7aGiL._AC_SX679_[1].jpg

Having recently ripped out 3 rooms worth of v lining and pulled all the nails through in prep for cutting it up for the fire... you can get quite a rhythm going.

+1 for the crescent type. They are brilliant as long as you can get a grip on the nail (headed or not) though the same can be said of most pullers. And as you pull harder they grip more.
Have fun.
Martin

I'd love to find a needle nosed pliers or something half way between those puller tools but a bit smaller and with cheap replaceable jaws,
as they die when one uses a vice grips, with nailbar underneath.

I find if its not coming out, then cheap metal drillbiit gets utilized and sometimes sacrificed for drilling each end of the hole, both holes on a need be basis, but likely.

By doing so, this longer hole, rather than a bomb crater going around the nail happens to be the easiest to eventually pry loose by leaning on endgrain with beater screwdriver with wings ground/filed off, compared to leaning on face grain, just like a mortise chisel
And lastly, it's easier to hide, for some reason, even a non matched colour of plug which is rectangular/slim is often less obvious than a square plug with matched properties.

Something about the eye following the grain line, you notice a cross grain sever more.

Hello,
Fencing pliers have a specially shaped curved head for removing nails as well as wire tensioning, however my preference is a pair of nail pulling pliers, makes life easy.

Regards
DBD6A9E6-1193-4A03-9721-46F0660E24B6.png

These Crescent ones are brilliant; especially when you've a mountain of nails to pull all at once:

View attachment 150012
Having recently ripped out 3 rooms worth of v lining and pulled all the nails through in prep for cutting it up for the fire... you can get quite a rhythm going.

Not seen that design before bit I can see how it would be better than my standard nippers as above.

I use mostly reclaimed timber so if I get a particulatly vexatious (word of the day) nail I'll use a small plug cutter in a guide (wood with hole in) to cut down a bit to reveal more of the nail head - as Ttrees says though make sure to follow grain with the plug, or darken it a bit with vandyke so it looks a bit like a knot....

I have knipex ones similar in style to the ones @Seascaper pictured but crucially with the bevel of the jaw only on the inside, this means the jaws meet completely flush on the outside. ( if that makes any sense) .
They are by far the best I have found as they can grip very small bits of broken off pins etc.
Other than those I like a Japanese "cats paw" nail bar, I have 3 sizes of those.

Ollie

I have a few nail pulling tools along with the usual vice grips and wrecking/crow bars.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/pliers/63397-nail-hunter?item=25K0650
A version of one of these. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/pry-bars/41814-cats-paws

A TIAMAT Extractor 1121 which works on the principle of the Crescent one above. Doesn't seem to be made anymore.

One similar to this that you use with a claw hammer. https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/I...er=JHNAILPULLR38+++++JH&VendorNumber=WILLIAMS

When I was salvaging a bunch of big softwood crates from work I drilled a hole about an inch deep in the end of a 6" long bolt. After prying the boards apart slip the bolt over the end of the nail, pry it up to straighten and then hit it to knock the nail back through the board to expose the head. It made getting the nail gun ring shanked nails out a lot easier because the force went down the nail without bending it again.

Pete

Latest posts

Back