Nail Gun Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I bought a framing nailer and compressor from Machine Mart the other day to speed up the building of studwork. The compressor was in the clearance so got abut 1/3 off the list price. I've used a brad nailer for years (powered by my little 6 litre compressor) so I'm not exactly new to the whole pneumatic nail gun malarkey, but i'm having issues with this new nailer.

While conducting tests on scrap timber I only managed to sink maybe half the nails into the timber; the rest stuck out from between 1/4in to 2". I'm not a weedy bloke by any means, yet it took two hands and an awful lot of downwards force just to stop the nailer jumping up. I've seen other people use them one-handed so i know that can't be right.

The compressor's regulator was set to the correct pressure - 80psi - and the tank was full, so that shouldn't be the cause. However, I am using the hose from my 6 litre compressor, but as far as I'm aware it's a standard bore hose.

The only other thing I can think of is the nails I'm using; they're the extortionately expensive 90mm clipped head nails from Machine Mart I bought to practice with (I intended to order some good nails online). They seem pretty easy to bend, if that helps the diagnosis.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

You shouldnt need to hold it with 2 hands or even to apply that much pressure with one. They should be sinking easy.

my guess would be pressure at the end of the hose. Increase the pressure gradually untill it sinks the nails all the way

Hi chaps,

The nail gun doesn't have a depth gauge, that is controlled by the regulator. I started at 80psi (as per the instructions) which resulted in the nails penetrating only half way and the nailer jumping violently with a flash of sparks, and then gradually increased the pressure until it reached the maximum 115psi. The nailer would set the nails flush at this pressure 75% of the time, but only when it was pointing straight down and with all my weight leaning onto it. I had a go at toe-nailing (is the phrase used this side of the Atlantic or is it another woodworking Americanism?) and every nail stuck out 1/2" or more.

Cheers
Mark

Did you check whether there is a nail jammed?
Sparks suggest there is some kind of obstruction.

This won't help with your toe nailing until you improve your aim but for straight forward nailing pull the trigger then bump the gun onto the work piece so the nose safety catch does the shooting, that way you have the weight of the gun to help you control the recoil.

Turn the pressure up till you get the depth required, some of the in built in regulators can read out by as much as 15 psi also some restrict the flow slightly.

Either the pressure reaching this gun isnt enough or its faulty.

Starting to sound more like faulty to me with sparks flying, do you have a friend who can test it for you? Then you know for sure

EssexChris":122grq66 said:
Turn the pressure up till you get the depth required, some of the in built in regulators can read out by as much as 15 psi also some restrict the flow slightly.

I initially connected the nailer to the regulated outlet and set the pressure at 80psi, before increasing the pressure incrementally up to the max pressure of the compressor - 8 bar/115psi. I also tried connecting the nailer to the other outlet which is fed directly from the tank, but saw no improvement in performance. This second outlet provides air at tank pressure so there's no way of going any higher.

I'm fed up with this now. I bought it to speed up the building of stud walls and installing noggins, yet so far all it's done is annoy me. I'm seriously considering returning it all for a refund and buying the Dewalt cordless 1st fix nailer from a local tool shop instead for about double the pice I paid for the pneumatic setup. The thing is, I recently decided to go Makita by purchasing an 18v twin set, so it will be a bit galling to buy into another manufacturer's system at this stage. Unless Makita are planning to launch their own 18v cordless nailer? I've heard their gas nailer is a bit rubbish so logically it would be the next step for them. One can only hope.

You cant beat Bostitch. I have seven, ranging from their biggest firing 3.5 inch nails to their smallest pin nailer. All excellent workhorses and only one bought new which was the pin nailer.

Mike

Air nailers should punch in nails easily. Either the gun is faulty or not well made.

I find nail guns only bounce back when the air pressure is too low or the gun has become blocked.

Although the compressor is small, nail guns dont need much air.

I dont think air pressure is a way to set nail depth, not with any certainty, that is set by the amount the plunger comes out. Obviously if there isnt enough air then there wont be enough force to send the nail in, leaving it proud. I suppose setting the correct pressure for the tool will maximize its lifespan.

I would say take it back and try a different model.

Bostitch and their dewalt replacements i would now rate as junk. Last 4 guns i used from each all failed within hours.

Ace&k are the guns that cant be beat. Had 6 for about 5 years now and not a single jam

Hi chaps,

Yesterday morning I tried to return both the nail gun and compressor to Machine Mart, but annoyingly their antiquated returns policy meant it wasn't so simple. Despite laying it on very thick the inconvenience and subsequent costs in hiring a nailer to finish the job the shop assistant would have non of it: apparently for them to refund my money they first have to send it off to be inspected, and only then if it has indeed been deemed faulty can the return be sanctioned.

In the end I agreed to try an ex-display nailer (they were out of stock of new replacements), which I did and it's no better than the original. I've saved all the timber I've been testing the nailer on so when I go back to Machine Mart again tomorrow they can see for themselves how awful the tool is, not just take my word for it.

Their customer service and policies are so backwards for a company operating in the 21st century. I expected them to offer an immediate refund, perhaps with an insincere apology for the trouble; but no, they wish to be awkward and argumentative.

I want to buy a replacement 1st fix nailer - either the 18v Dewalt or a sub-£400 gas nailgun such as the Senco, Rawl, Hitachi or Bostich - but until the refund is back in my account I can't do anything. If they insist this second Clarke nailer has to be sent away for inspection (I've looked up the relevant laws and they're within their rights to do that) I very much doubt they will condemn it. :x

Mark

Don't forgot under the consumer rights act something sold must be fit for purpose, even if not faulty from all you describe I can't see how the tools is anywhere near this requirement.

I've got a Paslode IM350+ for sale. If you're interested pm me :mrgreen: :arrow:

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

In the end I agreed to try an ex-display nailer (they were out of stock of new replacements), which I did and it's no better than the original. I've saved all the timber I've been testing the nailer on so when I go back to Machine Mart again tomorrow they can see for themselves how awful the tool is, not just take my word for it.

Take all the timber with protruding nails in - dump it on the till! They can take these away for close inspection and analysis. :D

Head office of the company is in Nottingham - you could try going higher. They are on Twitter as well, that is a very public place and a tweet about dreadful customer service normally gets a quick response.

Latest posts

Back