Air Line Hose Bore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, another compressor related question. I've just bought a Draper 50L direct drive V-Twin 2.2kw/3hp air compressor, it's air displacement is rated at 14.6cfm with a FAD rate of 8cfm and maximum pressure of 116psi. It's my first compressor, so I was wondering what bore size hose I should get. I hope to be using it for some HVLP spraying, a pneumatic brake bleeder, nail gun/stapler maybe even an air ratchet.
Being a novice in this field, any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated....
Thank you

It is probably not hugely critical, what is more important is to choose one style of quick connect and use the same on everything.
Personally I use 10mm bore rubber hose and the PCL XF Euro connectors, this stems largely from one of my machines having this as a specification, so I just did everything the same which saves a lot of hassle. You can buy a big roll of it from machine mart with some connectors and make up hoses to whatever length you want.

Ollie

It is probably not hugely critical, what is more important is to choose one style of quick connect and use the same on everything.
Personally I use 10mm bore rubber hose and the PCL XF Euro connectors, this stems largely from one of my machines having this as a specification, so I just did everything the same which saves a lot of hassle. You can buy a big roll of it from machine mart with some connectors and make up hoses to whatever length you want.

Ollie
That's great , thanks.

If making hoses then use these ear clips / O clips rather than jubilee clamps. They don't catch on things and give a secure connection.

1695138422405.png
Available from many places but here is one Double Ear O Clips

3/8 hose.
Decent hose clips on the Quick release connections.
3/8 will give you the best of both worlds, between odd use and constant use.

You may want to fit your tools with fly leads.

3/8" is just under 10mm
That sounds like a good recommendation to me.
I use 6mm 1/4" bore ultra flex hose with a small spraygun that needs 3 cfm.
Scale that up, your compressor can supply 3x the airflow and a 10mm hose will give you 3x the cross section to carry it.
👍

(You can nip up Oetiker ear clips with an old style pair of pincers, good use for one of those car boot finds / inherited tools that don't otherwise see so much use these days. They have quite a narrow range of sizing so need to be matched to the OD of the hose after you buy it.)

They have quite a narrow range of sizing so need to be matched to the OD of the hose after you buy it

To be pedantic, maybe we should say the OD of the hose when it has the barbed fitting rammed up inside it.

Perhaps another way of saying that is to err on slightly big rather than slightly small because the hose is never going to shrink when the fitting is poked into it.

Back