mystery tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavlar

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I just bought a few things in a job lot at auction...any ideas please what these two might be for?
IMG_20210922_152122137.jpg
IMG_20210922_152132076.jpg

There are no maker's marks etc. The short thing is clearly designed to go into a brace, but has no cutting flutes, it's just a sharp point. The knurled nut holds a kind of U-shaped washer which is keyed to the shaft, so would also rotate. Poor photo, sorry! I wondered if it might be a centre point for a circle-making arm?

The long tool has no cutting edges and looks like it might be for rubbing or chasing something.

thanks!

Agree with Rorschach on the scraper. The second is incomplete there should be a trammel arm that fits between the nut and the U shaped bracket on the arm is a second point that can be slid and locked to mark out large circles. I think there may also have been a cutter as well as the second point but how you would get any force into it I have no idea.

My guess would be the second one is a gasket cutter, but a very basic one and missing a piece/s.

thanks to you both

The trammel arm should be easy enough to make, should I ever feel the need now I know what it's for! Bearing scraper, not my thing (I had to look it up) so if anybody wants it, let me know.

thanks to you both

The trammel arm should be easy enough to make, should I ever feel the need now I know what it's for! Bearing scraper, not my thing (I had to look it up) so if anybody wants it, let me know.

Bearing scrapers like that are ten a penny at any car boot, I think I have 3 or 4 that just appeared in my shop. They are decent steel though so can be reused as burnishers or even reground into cutting tools if you wanted. If you want ti ruin it they make excellent mini "irons" for steaming dents out of wood.

Bearing scrapers like that are ten a penny at any car boot, I think I have 3 or 4 that just appeared in my shop. They are decent steel though so can be reused as burnishers or even reground into cutting tools if you wanted. If you want ti ruin it they make excellent mini "irons" for steaming dents out of wood.
Also make a good soldering iron.

Back