my workshop new security (stage 1)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi jim

yea ok, don't think I've done much since posting my last pics been busy with the wife and myself both been in hosi for operation she had gaul bladder removed and is still quite poorly from it, bloody hugh stone was removed thank god, and myself in to have liver cyst drained, with in three days of each other , oh bloody hell really painful under a local, that really should have been done under anaesthetic operation , i'm ok now it's just looking after pam at the mo one old crock leading the other old crock :lol: trying to snatch a few hrs in the workshop when i can , post man just arrive and I now have the second lock here waiting to be fitted hopfully by the week end, weather forcast aint good for the next few days , Off down to exeter on friday to pick up a new to me lathe an m950 plus a few extras with it, I'll do a refubishment post later on that when i have it . martin

hi woodsworth

I am so sorry to read post like that , it make me so bloody angry :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: the only way you can keep what you've earned is to take the extra security yourself the police just cannot protect us or your property any more .

The sad part is even if there lucky enough to catch the sprouts the courts do nothing , as i mentioned my mum in law breakin arrested two about two weeks later from finger prints left in her home.

The one that kept watch admitted it and was prosecuted , but the one who was inside would not admit to it although his daps were everywhere and the police would not prosecute him, beggars believe , (that to me means bang to rights) with his prints everywhere .

I took it to the local papers, the local mp, even took it to watch dog, who never bothered to reply , we got no where, and then to add insult to injury the scrote that was prosecuted was order to repay what he had stolen £70 with no fine on top of it , and to repay it in monthly installment of £15 which he defaulted for a short while, when i complained to the courts only to be told not to take it any further and be quite about it they would make sure he eventually repays it , as if he went back to court it might spoil :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (HIS) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: chances of getting into the army :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hc

head clansman":2w9rfk6v said:
hi woodsworth

I am so sorry to read post like that , it make me so bloody angry :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: the only way you can keep what you've earned is to take the extra security yourself the police just cannot protect us or your property any more .

The sad part is even if there lucky enough to catch the sprouts the courts do nothing , as i mentioned my mum in law breakin arrested two about two weeks later from finger prints left in her home.

The one that kept watch admitted it and was prosecuted , but the one who was inside would not admit to it although his daps were everywhere and the police would not prosecute him, beggars believe , (that to me means bang to rights) with his prints everywhere .

I took it to the local papers, the local mp, even took it to watch dog, who never bothered to reply , we got no where, and then to add insult to injury the scrote that was prosecuted was order to repay what he had stolen £70 with no fine on top of it , and to repay it in monthly installment of £15 which he defaulted for a short while, when i complained to the courts only to be told not to take it any further and be quite about it they would make sure he eventually repays it , as if he went back to court it might spoil :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (HIS) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: chances of getting into the army :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hc

They don't prosecute burglars on the whole - strange isn't it, I bet if a copper's house got burgled and they found the perp, he'd be getting charged!

Beg's the question - would you really want someone in the army who doesn't seem to think stealing is wrong? Dare say won't last long if he tries that on a squaddie or 2.

hi dibs

unless he was, a coppers son maybe :roll: :wink: . wouldn't even tell us who he was till we found out from the court who was supervising him. hc

HI Martin,

Sorry to hear you and your family have not been well...take it easy mate...we can wait to see the perfect outcome as I am sure it will be!

Nothing angers me more than the pathetic state this country has fallen to. I am spitting bullets myself HC..just reading your post.

I am sorry but they will have to lock me up mate...because if I found someone breaking into any of my property, let alone destroying my livelihood, they would have to physically restrain me from putting some power tools to alternative use.

I am going to power strim some scrub...ready for the tiger traps...

Jim

Just a pause for thought, though it's already been hinted at in the thread.

I used to work in a Watersports shop, lots of expensive surfing gear, clothing etc.

We had everything, bars on the windows, steel shutters over all the doors and windows, alarm system, the works.

The scrotes removed the roof tiles in order to get in.

Set the alarm off, but were long gone by the time the police arrived.

No point going overboard on the doors if there are other possible points of entry.

For example - How easy is the Shiplap cladding to the left of the door to get off?

PDR_2427.jpg

hi

For example - How easy is the Shiplap cladding to the left of the door to get off?

The scrotes removed the roof tiles in order to get in.

yours i assume was a business premises so they new they had time before the police arrive they don't know who at home in a private house when the alarm gos off .

no matter how much security you take , if a thieving scrote want in he will eventually get in, but the more difficult you make it the more possibility it's likely he will give up and do someone else , i don't have roof tile as mentioned earlier in the post the cladding to get off is as easy as anyone elses to remove but as mention again earlier in the thread it's what he will find underneath, all will take time and make a lot of noise as well very time consuming to get through. he will have to bring a complete tool kit with him. As for being over the top i don't think so it's my tools in there and i want to keep them safe . No good crying over spilt milk after the fact , saying if only I had done this or that and then find out your insurance company is absolute rubbish .

As for waiting till the police arrive, ha thats a joke, and a waste of time , nowadays they don't want to know about any sort of crime , if you cant see you have to take far more precautions nowadays to protect your property even just to get the insurance to pay out later on so at least you can start again you must at least be seen to have taken adequate precautions .

Think about what woodsworth said £10,000 christ that made me feel sick , where would you get that sort of money from, again second time around , and then hearing your insurance company says sorry not enough locks no precautions taken , you all know what there like for finding loop holes not to pay out . mind boggling . hc

In a past life, I used to evaluate alarm systems. All I can say is wireless ones tend to be weaker than their wired counterparts as a result of having to make the remote sensors offer a market acceptable battery life.

If at all possible used a wired system despite the attraction offered by ease of installation of a wireless unit

There is also a fairly well established method that some criminals use to overcome wireless alarms. I am not going to divulge this here naturally.
Save to say that if you appear to be getting an above average number of false alarms, take further precautions and no not turn off the system.

Bob

My one has a feedback for battery level low...long beeps...

I take what you say about defeating the alarm though.

For me to run a wired system with the type of building and distance would be virtually impossible so I have chosen a hybrid, wired internally in the workshop with a wireless feed to the main control. There is also an ancillary control in the shop if the wireless to the house fails which has a siren and blue strobe.

I intend to fix shutters this year which I also think will help.

Cheers

Jim

jimi43":3u78ovon said:
My one has a feedback for battery level low...long beeps...

I take what you say about defeating the alarm though.

For me to run a wired system with the type of building and distance would be virtually impossible so I have chosen a hybrid, wired internally in the workshop with a wireless feed to the main control. There is also an ancillary control in the shop if the wireless to the house fails which has a siren and blue strobe.

I intend to fix shutters this year which I also think will help.

Cheers

Jim

Provided the workshop end of the wireless link has been designed for mains power only (maybe with battery back up) then the performance may be OK. Remote wireless links designed to run from batteries may be less effective.

Bob

head clansman":1quk6q9g said:
hi jim

Internal or external shutter . hc

Hi HC.....not sure yet...probably internal...if I can clear the rubbish out of the way.

Yes Bob...that was my thinking. I have a 12VDC backup hidden (sealed lead acid). All of it seems to function as I wanted as the cat proved! :wink:

I don't rely on PIR...actually...I don't really like them. I prefer magnetic or microswitches...

I also have an IR beam system which I want to incorporate at some time or other if I can work out how to integrate it into the main system, at present it is a stand-alone system

Cheers

Jim

hi folks, you just cant do enough to keep their sticky little fingers off your gear. a couple of years ago i had my van turned over, i was due to start a nice contract the following day and had to get payed up front just to replace the tools, and of course theres just some things that can't be replaced. now my van looks like something out of the a team workshop, all stainless steel panels and security bolts! meanwhile we are forced to work in prison cells while these b*******s walk free!
i hope you have a scrote free retirement.
graeme

now my van looks like something out of the a team workshop, all stainless steel panels and security bolts! meanwhile we are forced to work in prison cells while these b*******s walk free!

Yeah that's how i feel to in my own shop on my own property!!! Unbelievable! I just bought some laminated glass to make some windows with for the shop. Apparently you can throw bricks and stuff at this glass without it breaking. Going to make a frame for it and take a hammer to it and see for myself before putting it in. It doesn't look thick enough to me. I remember taking the glass out of an armored truck once, the laminated glass on that was 1 1/4 inches thick. That would make me feel better and get some light in my dungeon of a shop.

hi woodsworth

good luck with the glass, let us all know how it goes with the hammer job on it , even if it doesn't break don't forget secondary backup, bars , a visual deterrent as well. aah i see the sun trying to break through here this morning good o , see if i cant get the second hasp & staple lock fitted to day . hc

woodsworth":31ojqkjx said:
now my van looks like something out of the a team workshop, all stainless steel panels and security bolts! meanwhile we are forced to work in prison cells while these b*******s walk free!

Yeah that's how i feel to in my own shop on my own property!!! Unbelievable! I just bought some laminated glass to make some windows with for the shop. Apparently you can throw bricks and stuff at this glass without it breaking. Going to make a frame for it and take a hammer to it and see for myself before putting it in. It doesn't look thick enough to me. I remember taking the glass out of an armored truck once, the laminated glass on that was 1 1/4 inches thick. That would make me feel better and get some light in my dungeon of a shop.

To the best of my knowledge, standard laminated glass is definately breakable although not easy to get through as it is a thin layer of rigid plastic bonded to and sandwiched between 2 layers of glass.
purpose is safety only rather than security as when broken it stays stuck to the inner core.

Security glass is similar but varies in core materials and construction. polycarbonate is the usual core and when bullet resistance required there are additional materials, often secret formula.

I used to supply polycarbonate (15 years ago so info out of date), to companies manufacturing for post office and armoured vehicles, bank counters etc. and I have a small sample of "bullet proof" glazing 40mm thick which has no less than 7 layers.

Polycarbonate is the best security glazing IMO and is virtually unbreakable in 6 or 12mm thickness if properly fixed. it's great strength is its' flexibility but weakness is that it's soft and easily marked. Also it can be cut into with cordless tools.

My garage window consists of a standard d/g unit with a sheet of obscure 6mm polycarbonate fixed to the inside of the frame so the little gits can't see in. I guarantee it would take a hell of a lot of getting through.

That's some good info Lons. I picked up the glass and realized that i didn't want to try it on the pieces i wanted to make frames from so i asked if they had some i could bash with a hammer. So they let me have a go at it. Like Lone says the glass does break but the center is a soft flexible something or other. As the windows will be 8 feet off the ground and small enough that no one can crawl through very easily i think i'm going to give it a go. But i wouldn't use it on a window where someone could have a real go with a sledge hammer or something because they would get through.

I just have to have some light and it would be nice to see the sea from the shop.

Latest posts

Back