My new tropical aquarium setup.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snails are the only things in the world that breed faster than rabbits. because they are hermaphrodites, they dont even need each other.
I always assassinated every snail I ever found in plants, even going so far as to dose all new plant shipments with snail killer. I never once sold a snail, not even to people I didnt like :roll: :roll:
The giant african snails are not so bad, they dont breed anywhere near as much and you can always find them.

I'm reading your replies guys just need a moment to take it in. Just scooped another tiny tetra off the surface- missing it's head. I'm not enjoying this at the moment

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Fairly sure this one isn't resting also !
325a9f07cc8d686778b8f07e78a5c847.jpg

I've put the carbon back in again now- only had 1 bacterial infection treatment. I did a part water change on the 29th of June.
I wonder if this new addition to my wrist came into contact with the water.
82f740ae481968dc3438b315101a78cb.jpg

Just seems odd that it's only the new ones that are dying.

phil.p":16pc0dpa said:
I daresay your water has come into contact with copper ................................................on its way to the tank through copper mains. :D
Lol ha ha, oh balls !!!!! What a wally !!!

I've another thought. When I bought the fish I floated them on the top of the tank to get the temperature the same....then I just tipped them in. The sudden change in water condition may have shocked them.

copper is no problem. head missing shows something is hungry.
List ALL your fish and see if we can find the culprit.

Its always a big deal buying new fish. With all your new found knowledge, next time you go to buy study everything in the tank. If any of the fish are falling over, walk away.
If any have rotted fins or tiny white spots on the their body, walk away.
If there are dead fish in the tank on more than one occasion, find another dealer.

when the hobby really gets to you, you start a quarantine tank for new arrivals and keep them in there for a week before introducing them into your tank. (and you thought woodworking was complicated) :roll: :roll: #-o

you are almost there with the floating bag for new fish, but did you turn the tank lights off? Or did you stress them out completely by forcing them to stay right underneath?

Open the bag while its in the tank (with the tank lights off). Roll the top of the bag over so the bag floats by itself. over 5 minutes or so, splash some of your tank water into the bag to reduce chemical shock.
Once you think the water and temps are close enough, DO NOT tip the shops water into your tank. you have no idea what they put in their water. Use a small net and lift the fish into your tank, then carefully lift out the bag and dump all that water down the bog.

Your last paragraph is the bit I didn't do Bob. I'll know next time,thankyou.The lights were off. I only turn them on in the evening when I'm in the room.

All I have now is -
5 tetras (2 tiny ones)
Clown loach
2 snails
Algae eater/bristlenose
5 or 6 guppies

It's 130litre tank.The rate it's going I'm gonna need to buy another 8 next weekend .

nothing in there that would bite a head off a guppy. I expect the catfish just sucked at it a lot.

Thats not many fish, make sure you keep an eye on the amount you feed each time.

phil.p":32l6j85n said:
If your tank is planted you'd do better to leave the lighting on for a lot longer - the easiest way is to put them on a cheap timer.
Would any kind of light work? The only reason I ask is because I changed a blue one the previous guy had fitted, to an led one that you could choose the colour. It's certainly more pleasing to look at now. The leaves on the small plants are green, but I wouldn't say they're thriving. I've 3 moss balls in there which don't look any different from the day I brought them back from the shop.

sunnybob":1hjfyeuw said:
nothing in there that would bite a head off a guppy. I expect the catfish just sucked at it a lot.

Thats not many fish, make sure you keep an eye on the amount you feed each time.
I went back to the shop today expecting to see the tank full of guppies I had previously bought a few days before. There was only 3 left compared with the 40+ from before. I looked around the tanks and decided against the tank that had a dead one in it. Instead I asked if they had any that had been there for a while.
I've got 4 more guppies now that I've been floating in the bag. I've added several small amounts of tank water over the last hour and reckon I'm about ready to transfer them into the tank with the net as per your advice. Let's see how these get on !

Cheers
Coley
For got to mention, it was the bristlenose that helped convince me I was overfeeding. The food would be eaten quick it's just the bristlenose always had long lines of pooh hanging from it. He must have foraged under every nook and cranny, where as the other fish just ate the stuff that was readily available. If it's only that one that's stuffing it face I'm guessing that won't be much of a problem?

Grolux used to be the choice for growing plants, but there may be better around now - the last few tanks I've had have been unplanted. If you wonder whether you've over fed them - yes, you probably have. They don't eat much. You'll probably end up putting something in there that eats guppies - they're not called millionfish for nothing. :D In tropical climates they put them in ditches to control mosquito larvae.

youre slowly learning. the shop lost the guppies through either bad practice or a disease. thats one strike against him if he didnt offer to replace your losses. Trade price on a guppy is a couple of pennies each, nothing compared to good will of a regular customer.

Always check the entire tank before buying anything from it. One sickly fish and you walk on. Its worth asking what his filtration is. Most now are central filters, which saves money for them, but if they get cheapskate and dont dose the water regularly, the bad stuff goes through every tank in the place. i wouldnt do that system. every tank had its own undergravel filter plate. That meant more maintenance, but I had a very high reputation of fish survival, its why I made so much money at it (never did beat my annual income in 1988).

Coley... plants.... weve done 8 pages on fish so far =D> =D>

you have to get your head around the fact you have a miniature world. the principles are the same as the real world. Plants need a days worth of strong light to flourish, and remember, these are TROPICAL plants, that get very strong light 12 hours a day filled with all those lurverly vitamins. not just 3 hours of a coloured led every evening.
Dont buy moss, its like snails. Once it takes hold you cant get rid of the damn stuff.
I used 3 full length flourescents on a planted tank.
Grolux to make them look good and encourage growth, north light to make the grolux not look like a dim cave, and warm white to round it all out. Grolux stop being useful after 6 months or so because the coating inside the tube wears out. That becomes expensive, but how much does a gardener spend on making their plants flourish?
I really cant give modern alternatives, maybe they are still available.

We used to sell plants in small plastic ventilated pots filled with rockwool. That allowed the plants to collect their own little bacteria system.
bet youre wishing you never started this relaxing hobby arent you? :D :D :D #-o #-o

The shop keeper wouldnt take any money for the 4 i picked up today and was keen to figure out why they had died. The only thing that looked odd on all the water tests was the water hardness. It was 180- the highest it could read.
6e0e3b73bcf7a7edca9a7535f299c06c.jpg

As daft as it sounds I could quite happily live with an unplanted tank. I only really put them in there cause i thought it would be better for the fish.

The thing that's so frustrating is there really isn't one way to do something. It's 101 ways with everyone having a slightly different method. I'm paranoid about the entire tank now tbh. I've just taken a few pints of water out so the filtered water makes more of a splash when it re-enters- there certainly seems to be bigger and more bubbles ! Could that have been a cause of the new 4 dying? Lack of oxygen?

Without your guys support and input I don't think I'd have got past the initial tank crack !!!

Cheers
Coley

phil.p":33z00fke said:
Grolux used to be the choice for growing plants, but there may be better around now - the last few tanks I've had have been unplanted. If you wonder whether you've over fed them - yes, you probably have. They don't eat much. You'll probably end up putting something in there that eats guppies - they're not called millionfish for nothing. :D In tropical climates they put them in ditches to control mosquito larvae.
That's my other option, just fill the tank with more guppies and hope the strong survive lol !! I'll research the lights more after this fiasco. I'm thinking my £15 Chinese jobby might look pretty but probably the 2 bright white tubes that came fitted in the tank would be a better choice during the day. Thanks Phil [WINKING FACE]

ok, remove the black mark against him.
Stupidly hard water?
have you put a concrete ornament in there? or a coral reef?

No seashells or concrete ornaments. Bob the water hardness was the maximum the test kit could measure 180.
Just came back from walking the dog and the amount of bubbles now are wildly different then before I lowered the water level.
6921d8db3325b99538c2b8b4aaa31647.jpg

The bubbles on the surface are between 10-20mm diameter, before they were perhaps 5 mm maximum. The other thing I've noticed are the bubbles are reaching as far as halfway down the tank.
9040e07704dbf12bad81dee7e4ab48db.jpg

Before I lowered the water they were 2 inches deep at most.
Here's the new tank level
c9b6cf651365cf2cf7554356391f6301.jpg

I've only ever assumed that I should fill the tank right up ...........?

Back