My new tropical aquarium setup.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its leaking where the top part joins to the bottom
dcf6330e1c2110d8667092bc9d34f031.jpg

Picture borrowed from the web-
14049cb4485b394ff427607a401ddfcc.jpg

It's got an o ring that goes around the perimeter (circled in red)

When people get fed up I think alot move over to eheim.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That sucks dude, what happened? I have to say that filter is the Tesco blue band equivalent for fluval, I've always used tetra brand for my filters, I've had an ex700 for over 10 years without an issue other than breaking a part when trying to replace a hose.

Fluval have certainly changed shape over the last 30 years.
I can be positive you crimped the O ring last time you replaced it. A bit of care with the new one and youre very unlikely to have a repeat leak.

Stigmorgan":3rlmu12g said:
That sucks dude, what happened? I have to say that filter is the Tesco blue band equivalent for fluval, I've always used tetra brand for my filters, I've had an ex700 for over 10 years without an issue other than breaking a part when trying to replace a hose.
Does that mean fluval are a budget type brand ? I'll research some tetra filters for the when the day comes to definitely replace this one.

sunnybob":2iqb3ao7 said:
Fluval have certainly changed shape over the last 30 years.
I can be positive you crimped the O ring last time you replaced it. A bit of care with the new one and youre very unlikely to have a repeat leak.
I may have done Bob. I added some more media to it a while ago because when I bought it (secondhand) half the baskets were empty. Theres also alot of discussion that the toggle clamp which pulls the top down isn't up to the task.

If you can find an engineering supplies shop, take the old gasket along to them and get another one same size but slightly thicker.
Those toggle clamps are ok, but they rely totally on the manufacturing tolerances of the O ring to work.

A half mil thicker O ring will need more force to clip down and ensure no leaks.
Fluval always was budget back in the day, sounds like they still have the same marketing strategy

ColeyS1":38pvdgvo said:
Stigmorgan":38pvdgvo said:
Does that mean fluval are a budget type brand ? I'll research some tetra filters for the when the day comes to definitely replace this one.

Not entirely, I have never had a problem with their aquariums but their equipment is usually either really good (expensive) or really bad. I am currently using the Fluval Plant 3.0 lights and think they are fantastic, build quality is great, some of their pumps and filters do seem to be very cheaply made in my opinion.

Some people have had success wrapping ptfe tape around the o ring to increase diameter.

PTFE tape is a hit or miss get you out of a bind trick.
as you wrap it there will parts that have three layers and parts that have 1 layer. Dont do it unless it leaks at tea time on a saturday and you cant get another one till monday.
Silicone grease is a much better bodge. :roll: :roll:

The new service kit arrived but I'm yet to fit it. The leak seems to have completely stopped for now. I've just added 5 new fish so I wont be watching much tv tonight lol. It's only now some new fish have been added I've noticed how much activity is going on in the tank. I added my most expensive fish to date £9. I really enjoy this hobby !

From the very early '60. All London Transport bus garages had tanks in their canteens as it was known to help the drivers relax.
I went into my first tropical fish shop in 1963. There wasnt a lot equipment available back then.

When I had the shop I maintained several dentists tanks, it was a good income. but never saw one in a doctors

I added 4 small gourami's I've seen 1 after staring at the tank for ages but wonder if the others have been sucked up in the filter or worse still eating by other fish. I've never had much success with them but I've always bought them when they were much bigger. I'm hoping having them smaller might change things, and they were cheaper to buy lol.

Is there any reason I couldn't use unscented baby wet wipes to clean the outside of the tank ? I'm paranoid about doing anything to the outside glass incase I make things worse by smearing the water marks around.

Anything that plays on my mind alot is cichlids. I know you can get the dwarf ones but how do people manage the bigger ones once they grow big. Is it just accepted that they keep as large a tank as possible until the day comes when they out grow their tank and need to be rehomed.

I need more tanks ! I quite like the idea of keeping a small turtle, but I think they need a 250 watt lamp on constantly which might send the electric meter dolally.

You can divide all fish into three categories of where they stay in the tank.
Top, middle, and bottom. you can work that out on any fish even if you havent seen one before.
Just check their mouths. E.G.; Gouramis mouths point up, barbs mouths are central, and ALMOST all cichlids and all catfish point down.
from that, you can work out what fish will live in the same tank. Overpopulate one area and you get competition and fighting.
If your filter pipe is large enough to swallow a gourami, change the fliter pipe end.

Small cichlids will cope well in most tanks. What used to called apistogramma ramirizi are very nice fish. I'm pretty sure they got reclassified but you should find them as "RAM" cichlids. There are more types of dwarf american cichlids about nowadays, but I have no experience of them. I've bred ram cichlids, as well as the much easier firemouths, and the family friends known as oscars =D> . But firemouths tend to mess the tank bottom up so plants become difficult. Oscars destroy EVERYTHING when they decide to breed

Another help is that cichlids come from 2 main places, south america, and africa. Mixing them is bad news, apart from the fact their water requirements are quite different .

"I need more tanks" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh dear, youre hooked (pun intended).
My 1 became 2 and then 5 and then 15 and then a shop full of 150. Theres no turning back.

Now then, TURTLES...... They are amusing, but actually quite dangerous. They are incredibly messy eaters, and they all carry salmonella and many other bacterial diseases. If you have small children likely to touch them when unsupervised DO NOT BUY. If you touch them at any time (including water changes) you must wash your hands well immediately.
They will eat small fish. As they get bigger, they can easily bite an unwary handler, and that should be a hospital visit.

Apistogramma (south american cichlids) did not ruin my tank flora (many years ago but I doubt that they have evolved very much). I bred A. Cactuoides, or, rather, provided conditions in which they were happy to breed. Delightful watching their parental care..... I dont remember any plant damage (apart from the clumbsy pleco that grew too big).

Back