My new folding workbench - I'm after some feedback!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coach-carpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay so take two.

I have introduced myself here before but for those of you who may not have seen then here it is. My name is Greg and i'm a cabinet maker / finishing carpenter who's been in business around 18 months now. In the beginning the plan was to be mainly workshop based and invest all my (little) money into getting myself a full workshop, however over the last 18 months i've discovered that it's very difficult to start from nothing and have a) enough work to warrant a full workshop and b) savings to afford high end workshop machinery. As a consequence i have ended more site based (residential and shop fitting)

To be honest I enjoy it, a lot. I miss being in the workshop but I find it very difficult to keep motivation all the time and find myself procrastinating making projects that don't earn me any money.

Seeing as though almost all of my money has now gone onto investing in mobile and portable equipment. The one thing I have missed more than anything else is a decent solid workbench to work from. I've tried trestles but its not even close, workmates are equally no good. So I decided that I would borrow an MFT/3 from a friend for a week to see how I got on with it and in all honesty, I liked it, but I couldn't get on with it as I needed more out of my workbench. The things that didn't work for me are as follows:

1) I use my workbench as a sort of centre of setup type of area. This means that I spend most of my time working from it, be it cutting / routing / sanding or simply planning and organising my setup. The MFT for me fell down here as its a great bench but i want more storage options, and more adaptability.

2) Working mainly finish carpentry I fit a lot of doors. A lot and I like to have a setup where I can do everything in one spot. Cut, install hardware and plane to then be taken away to hang. The MFT is perfect for cutting the doors but where it falls down for me is there is no where to securely hold the door on its end for the routing of hinges etc.

3) Hand planing puts an awful lot of lateral force on the workbench and I don't like a bench that has movement in it when i'm planing.

So there's my brief now it's time to put my experiences into practice and design something that suits my needs! Here is what I came up with.

It's a birch ply workbench, with a shelf, with side mounts for doors, with tool tote for to keep my bench dogs and other small tools off the worktop, an MDF top with 96 centred 20mm dog holes. Most importantly it fold to less that 90mm thick. it takes 20 seconds to put up and slides into my van when not in use. Most importantly this thing is strong, and i mean strong! There is no lateral movement what so ever. I've been using both the mk1 prototype and mk2 prototype for nearly 6 months now and I really don't know how i lived without it. For me, its everything I need.

I've already thought of a million accessories to go with it, and I plan on developing this further. I have started the process to putting it on the market as i truly believe that its a good idea, however I'm here for your opinion not your money. What do you think? would you have one? What would you do differently? I will record a short video of me putting it up and performing some basic operations if anyone is interested?

Hopefully this meets forum rules.

Attachments

• P9012850.jpg
    P9012850.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 652
  • P9012840.jpg
    P9012840.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 654
  • P9012863.jpg
    P9012863.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 653
  • P9012859.jpg
    P9012859.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 653
Looks interesting. I'd make one side flush with the top, so that it's easier to clamp
a door or a frame when installing hinges for example.
Another six- seven months of regular use will tell you where the shortcomings are.
I also think that claiming that a ply workbench can substitute a traditional one will give the
hand tool crowd an aneurysm. :)

dzj":1qsmjgd1 said:
Looks interesting. I'd make one side flush with the top, so that it's easier to clamp
a door or a frame when installing hinges for example.
Another six- seven months of regular use will tell you where the shortcomings are.
I also think that claiming that a ply workbench can substitute a traditional one will give the
hand tool crowd an aneurysm. :)

Its a bold claim i realise but it really is that strong haha! As for being able to clamp the door at the top i find there is no need. I will upload a video and hopefully that will show why. Im currently working on an accessorie which are two t tracks running across the bbac and front which will be held in with m8 plastic headed bolts. This should allow clamping space and also the ability for sliding style jigs

The other reason the top cannot be flush is because if the mortoce is open it would allow for the top rail and therefor tennon to bow out and therefor qould affect the structural integrity.

Thanks for the feedback this is what i need. Another forum mentioned a second shelf.

Im also working on a router insert

That looks really neat, a video of it being assembled/disassembled and in use would be great and make it easier to give feedback of improvements for it

get the design registered pronto - NOT A PATENT as they are virtually worthless and hard to enforce but a "registered design" will hold up worldwide including those thieving chinese.

looks good and I can see a market for it - especially as most of the new workmates are apparently utter carp now.

It has both copy roght and desig n rights on it. I think thats the same as design rrefistere but ill double check that now.

Thanks guys ill post a video this week

Hi C-C,
this would have been very useful to me before I retired and when I was working out of a van, and exactly what I was looking for. I'm very very impressed. If you want anyone to try it out for you, I would be delighted. One point though- I have no experience whatever in patents or manufacturing, but it is a topic I have read lots about and it seems that it is strewn with expensive failures, rip-offs, and heartbreaks. This often has nothing to do with the quality of the design but the nature of the marketplace. however these days there seems to be a market for plans sold over the internet. As it is made out of wood, and your target audience seems good at making stuff so might you be better off thinking about selling the plans? Of course, I may be talking rubbish. Not for the first time either.

denboy":28q0ei1k said:
Hi C-C,
this would have been very useful to me before I retired and when I was working out of a van, and exactly what I was looking for. I'm very very impressed. If you want anyone to try it out for you, I would be delighted. One point though- I have no experience whatever in patents or manufacturing, but it is a topic I have read lots about and it seems that it is strewn with expensive failures, rip-offs, and heartbreaks. This often has nothing to do with the quality of the design but the nature of the marketplace. however these days there seems to be a market for plans sold over the internet. As it is made out of wood, and your target audience seems good at making stuff so might you be better off thinking about selling the plans? Of course, I may be talking rubbish. Not for the first time either.

Where abouts do you live denboy? As for patenting ive read the same as you. Im going down the route of manufacture and if it doesnt work out and someone rips me off i'll sell the plans.

Only time will tell but without giving it my best shot ill never know.

Thanks for your input denboy

Also im sorry for the terrible grammar and spelling im working off my phone today and trying to get on with other jobs so im rushing replies. I hope you all understand what im teying to say but if not feel free to call me put on it.
Cheers
Coach carpenter

There's a guy on ebay selling something vaguely similar but not half as fully featured for £90 out of birch ply - I bought an mf style top from him (its very precisely done). Looks like he's got a cnc machine. There must be a market - kudos to you for what looks like a great design, best of luck.

Looks good. How tight will it be once you've assembled/dismantled it a heap of times?

mbartlett99":14afztd8 said:
There's a guy on ebay selling something vaguely similar but not half as fully featured for £90 out of birch ply - I bought an mf style top from him (its very precisely done). Looks like he's got a cnc machine. There must be a market - kudos to you for what looks like a great design, best of luck.

I know him very well and he has a superb setup... 2 industrial cnc machines. Thats why i went to him. :p

NazNomad":12no60yp said:
Looks good. How tight will it be once you've assembled/dismantled it a heap of times?

I built my first prototype over 6 months ago now and i must have assembled and dissasembled it 125- 150 times. Its no where near as accurate as the cnc cut benches and its still as solid as it was on day one. Because of the orientation of the mortices it doesnt matter too much if they wear slightl as the mortice perpendicular to it will eliminate the slack in that direction and visa versa. Im actually using my prototype today. Ill upload a pic now

Here are a couple of pics of what ive been upto today. Just some very simple exterior cedar cladding to modernise a 50s bungalow.

it is certainly an interesting design and seems to work. what is the likely price going to be?

Latest posts

Back