My new folding workbench - I'm after some feedback!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sturdy and practical. Perhaps couple it with a saw horse of similar design
and height to tackle longer stock.
You could add a router table or circ saw attachment to that mid shelf someone suggested.
It's always a fine line when making universal things that they not become bloated with attachments,
but this is ultimately your call.

Good luck.

It looks good and sturdy and useful but there is something about the design that, for me, stops it being a premium product. It looks like it has been designed to either fit the max sizes of a cnc machine or to use sheets goods as efficiently as possible. I know those things should always be considered but it should not have been one of the first things that I, as a consumer, thought of.

So - a great looking prototype but I think it needs a bit of design work to give it a bigger market (especially for the price you are asking for on e-bay).

Good luck!

Halo Jones":10osfxcf said:
It looks good and sturdy and useful but there is something about the design that, for me, stops it being a premium product. It looks like it has been designed to either fit the max sizes of a cnc machine or to use sheets goods as efficiently as possible. I know those things should always be considered but it should not have been one of the first things that I, as a consumer, thought of.

So - a great looking prototype but I think it needs a bit of design work to give it a bigger market (especially for the price you are asking for on e-bay).

Good luck!

Thats interesting feedback actually. The things i'm working on are better hinges at the moment. The whole concept has actually been designed around the MFT3 top. It is when assembled the the same dimensions as the MFT3 and when flat packed 60mm narrower. There is a lot of waste on the CNC at the moment but as time goes on and the product develops as with the accessories the waste will hopefully become smaller.

As for the price. that is good feedback it's priced at that to see what the market is. I believe its nearest compentitors are administers UJK technologies bench, the MFT3 and tritons new work system. Al of which are either the same or more expensive.

How much would you consider paying for one?

Cheers

dzj":3r2v2tlw said:
Sturdy and practical. Perhaps couple it with a saw horse of similar design
and height to tackle longer stock.
You could add a router table or circ saw attachment to that mid shelf someone suggested.
It's always a fine line when making universal things that they not become bloated with attachments,
but this is ultimately your call.

Good luck.

The saw horse Idea is a nice idea! I think the beauty in my opinion is the ability to make this fit your needs. You could put a roll of paper on the side to drag over to protect the top when finishing. you could make stands for track saws etc. boom arm for vacuum.

marcros":39c6405x said:
it is certainly an interesting design and seems to work. what is the likely price going to be?

I'm trailing it on eBay at the moment at £280. I chose this because as explained in another comment I believe its nearest competitors are axminsters UJK tech bench, the MFT, and the new Triton jobby.

Due to the birch ply and MDF they are not cheap to machine but I'm interested to know your thoughts on price.

Looks great. If I end up doing much site work again I would buy one simple as that. Messed around with trestles, workmates and saw horses and they were all unsatisfactory but this looks the dogs danglies. Being a bit traditional is there a design in the pipeline to have a detachable vice?

Looks good and certainly sturdy. I will be honest though, it doesn't look a premium product like the axminster table though I can see more practicality in yours especially for a DIY'er or someonw working from a van where size and space are key.
I don't know production costs etc but £280 is too high IMO, if you can cut that cost down you will sell a lot I am sure, especially if you can make it cheap enough that people would see it as a backup or add on item, I have several workmates for example because I got them so cheap they were just worth having just in case I need them, maybe you could do similar?

Looks good.
I assume the short YouTube vids were just for short demonstration purposes.
May I suggest you also compliment those with another vid with the holey MFT style top (shown in your previous photo) demonstrating the work holding and cross cutting capabilities.
I feel that would better showcase your product's versatility and further grab potential consumer's attention.

Rorschach":2hqcg44p said:
I don't know production costs etc but £280 is too high IMO, if you can cut that cost down you will sell a lot I am sure, especially if you can make it cheap enough that people would see it as a backup or add on item, I have several workmates for example because I got them so cheap they were just worth having just in case I need them, maybe you could do similar?
I agree, I think the price needs to drop by £100 to sell in any quantity

pcb1962":7ejz7fzn said:
Rorschach":7ejz7fzn said:
I agree, I think the price needs to drop by £100 to sell in any quantity

Probably more than that I would say but then my idea of a good price is always skewed as I love a bargain, I bought 2 workmates for £14 a few months back :lol:

Just a thought from being in the workshop this morning. It would be nice to able to easily clamp to the front of the bench at the ends. If the front and back could overlap the sides but 50mm and you had some packers the thickness that the tops overlap it would making clamping to the front much easier.

coach-carpenter":1sd2zki6 said:
dzj":1sd2zki6 said:
The other reason the top cannot be flush is because if the mortoce is open it would allow for the top rail and therefor tennon to bow out and therefor qould affect the structural integrity.

If you wanted it flat you could use a dovetail instead of tenon for the joint?

This is all excellent stuff and exactly what im looking for. Instead of quoting each person ill just reply here generally. The first and biggest concern I ith regards to price. Unfortunqtely there is absolutely no possibility of dropping the price by 100if this is to be a viable business, so maybe the 40-50 may be doable and if there are enough then I could get cheaper materials prices.

So maybe the question is how can I make this feel like a more premium product. Its made from cabinet grade birch ply which is expensive. Mrmdf for the top which is standard on the mft3

would it be worth maybe trying to source a phenolic coloured ply? Everytime I use this bench im thankful i have it and ive been woodworking for 12ish years so I feel im in an aceceptable position to make that claim.

the benefits for me are it fold flatter thanahy other orkbench on th market, its far more solid and it has inbuit storage no other portable bench has that, its also very simpl and quick. how do I get that accross?

Is maybe he problem that its too simple and thats why it doesmt feel premium? Should I go for coloured accessories so it stnds out ore?

Really thanks everypne this is all very very useful

Thats interesting feedback actually. The things i'm working on are better hinges at the moment. The whole concept has actually been designed around the MFT3 top. It is when assembled the the same dimensions as the MFT3 and when flat packed 60mm narrower. There is a lot of waste on the CNC at the moment but as time goes on and the product develops as with the accessories the waste will hopefully become smaller.

I did notice the hinges and think they looked like a weak spot. I'm not a designer so would not like to comment too much, apart from that it does look like a prototype and not a finished product. Of the top of my head I would have made sure that the company logo was cnc'd into each of the components; are each of the edges that are likely to be held rounded over? To make it last longer would it be worth machining some metal components into the mortice and tenon area? It might not give more strength but if done properly it would give the perception of extra durability? One thing I do like is that it is flat pack so it should be easy for you to ship efficiently.

As for the price. that is good feedback it's priced at that to see what the market is. I believe its nearest compentitors are administers UJK technologies bench, the MFT3 and tritons new work system. Al of which are either the same or more expensive.

How much would you consider paying for one?

As a weekend warrior it is priced out of my market - it would have to be in the £50 - £100 bracket as an impulse buy, or you would have to really convince me that it could replace my table saw in my small shed at the bottom of the garden. Seems like it might be about right for someone in the trade but I don't know the market well enough.

Seems like you are getting a lot of feedback (and none of it too negative!) so I hope you can make it fly.

Beau":16pr62rw said:
Looks great. If I end up doing much site work again I would buy one simple as that. Messed around with trestles, workmates and saw horses and they were all unsatisfactory but this looks the dogs danglies. Being a bit traditional is there a design in the pipeline to have a detachable vice?

There are two 6mm threaded inserts at 138mm apart which I have ctually videod me attqtching a vice to it. I wil upload later. I didt think anyone would be that interested in that but I was wrong haha

Is 'Chestnut' the brand or company name? There's a wood finishing products company with that name.

What is your target market with this bench? If you are targeting trade users then (my opinion of course) they will buy the Festool MFT, for various reasons including the fact that it is simply festool and matches their other gear. Hobbyists are likely going to either buy the MFT if they have the money, the UJK if they want something cheaper with service backup from axminster, or more likely they will just make their own.
DIY is probably the most likely market to buy something like this, they don't have the money and can't justify the space taken up by the UJK, the cost of the MFT and don't want the hassle of making their own. The problem though is that your price will be too high and they will end up just buying a workmate and/or a couple of saw horses and an old door as a work top.
Speaking for myself, £300 could buy a nice little table saw to compliment my track saw and chop saw, my workmates make a pretty serviceable bench with a flat top on them and on their own offer clamping solutions.
Just my thoughts anyway. It may be impossible to bring down the cost and I am sure plenty of products have failed for this very reason, it may be a great item (and I do really like the look of it), but if it's not affordable for your target market then you're stuffed really.

Re "premium" product, I think that's more to with brand image and marketing than the actual product.

JohnPW":10c17mm3 said:
Re "premium" product, I think that's more to with brand image and marketing than the actual product.

I agree it needs to become brand. This is what I want to do im in it for the long term so mybe the best bet is to spend the money on marletting it right?

It reminded me a little of the bench by Ron Paulk, but after a quick google I can that this one is very different.

I like the design, simple and quick to put together - looks very strong too.

Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back