My new chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
I just have a few questions, Ok so I've been using my new Ashley Iles chisels this week on mainly oak. I was just wondering if it's normal for the edge to crumble a bit? I don't remember my marples doing this, but to be honest that was twenty two years ago. I really love the chisel's apart from the soft edge, is it a case of using them, then grinding a bit to get to the good stuff? I'm only using them to clean up haunches, so 10mm x 1mm. But I have some dovetails to do tomorrow, so a bit of chopping to be done. Anyway thanks in advance.

mtr1":2xqiqxgt said:
I just have a few questions, Ok so I've been using my new Ashley Iles chisels this week on mainly oak. I was just wondering if it's normal for the edge to crumble a bit? I don't remember my marples doing this, but to be honest that was twenty two years ago. I really love the chisel's apart from the soft edge, is it a case of using them, then grinding a bit to get to the good stuff? I'm only using them to clean up haunches, so 10mm x 1mm. But I have some dovetails to do tomorrow, so a bit of chopping to be done. Anyway thanks in advance.

I think so - mine are noticeably better now they have had a few sharpenings and hold a fine edge

I suspect that what has happened is that the very thin metal at the end of the bevel has been over-hardened - this is not that uncommon. If you regrind onebevels to remove a mm or two and then resharpen you will probably find that it is just fine. If it is, do the same to the others, if not , send them back.

Jim

yetloh":21tom6il said:
I suspect that what has happened is that the very thin metal at the end of the bevel has been over-hardened - this is not that uncommon. If you regrind onebevels to remove a mm or two and then resharpen you will probably find that it is just fine. If it is, do the same to the others, if not , send them back.

Jim
I agree with Jim, the first mm or so is very mushy steel, after which they're fine. I had a very soft 6mm AI chisel from Matthew last year where the edge repeatedly crumbled... replaced without a problem - Rob

Fair enough, I suspected this was the case, just wanted to hear others opinions. Thank's, I will give them all(edit: I will try one first as suggested) a grind tomorrow if I get the chance(wanted to keep the flat bevel :cry: ), I've got a creusen grinder, so they shouldn't heat up too bad.

Had the same problem last year. Matthew said to send them back if I wasn't happy but after one more sharpen they've held up well since.

Hummmm, i havnt managed to use mine yet which i bought from Matthew as a christmas present myself.

I hope i dont get this "Mushy" phrase everyone is talking about.

As someone said they over hardened the tip of the chisel? Anyone know why they do this?

By accident. If you heat treat a steel tool so that the end few inches are nicely hardened and tempered, the thinner portion at the very end of the bevel can be over heated and end up too brittle.

Been chop chop chopping with most of my chisel's today, and it has been an absolute dream working(and I'm not some kid). I haven't had to sharpen them all day :shock: this is far and above what I would normally expect from a chisel. I have been chopping in Oak and ply all day, I don't(hate) want to admit it, but spending a bit extra has been special today :D . I have ground most of them today(that I have used) and it has paid back untold. BUY these chisel's.(I feel silly saying that as I'm well tight.. well that's what SWDAST say's).

Back