My first turnings on my "new" lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHc1vtr+

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello forum members, I have been pointed to this site and the hobby by my psychiatrist as possible therapy. I suffer with long term depression.....there it's out in the open.

These are the fruits of my first 2 day's with the lathe, haven't been near one since my school days, I'm 47 now.

Here are the pic's Please be gentle :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the comments, although my missus gave me a few pointers admittedly, she did wood turning as part of her first job.

Nothing to be ashamed of there, neither the turnings nor the depression. Very common, comes up on here quite a bit.

The pens look nice, No.2 is my favourite, although I've toyed with the idea of the bolt action pen. Did you find it easy?

Thanks for your comments, I found the bullet pen easier than the first 2, partly because there was only one turning to do. Also found it easier with it being hardwood.

Very enjoyable to do and must be easy as i did it with the wrong size bushings and tape on the mandril.. :twisted:

IHc1vtr+ said:
Thanks for your comments, I found the bullet pen easier than the first 2, partly because there was only one turning to do. Also found it easier with it being hardwood.

The hardwood comment is a good one. Many people are disappointed with their first turnings because it is harder to get a really good finish on softwood.

Once again, thanks for all your input, looking forward to more complicated projects........eventually

Welcome. Can't comment on the pens as I can't see them :( Not displaying on either ipad or pc?

As for the depression, I find turning very therapeutic most the time although be prepared for frustrations and disappointments as with learning any new skill it takes time and you learn by mistakes some of the time. I like the immediate feedback working with wood and the lack uncertainty - at the end of your session you either have an object to be proud of or some firewood but you usually know very quickly which way it will go.

I also suffer depression, generalised anxiety disorder and ME (which often stops me from being able to turn). In fact the depression also stops me from turning sometimes. A nice project that I cock up is enough to lower my mood such that I don't try again for months. I always eventually come back to the lathe with time but I try not to force myself back. I have also taken up blacksmithing so if I am off turning I can bash some steel although this activity is very ME relapse dependent.

BM.

I see them now, well done. I suspect the image host was blocked by my employer's firewall.

BM

bogmonster":2q9l2x1s said:
Welcome. Can't comment on the pens as I can't see them :( Not displaying on either ipad or pc?

As for the depression, I find turning very therapeutic most the time although be prepared for frustrations and disappointments as with learning any new skill it takes time and you learn by mistakes some of the time. I like the immediate feedback working with wood and the lack uncertainty - at the end of your session you either have an object to be proud of or some firewood but you usually know very quickly which way it will go.

I also suffer depression, generalised anxiety disorder and ME (which often stops me from being able to turn). In fact the depression also stops me from turning sometimes. A nice project that I cock up is enough to lower my mood such that I don't try again for months. I always eventually come back to the lathe with time but I try not to force myself back. I have also taken up blacksmithing so if I am off turning I can bash some steel although this activity is very ME relapse dependent.

BM.

Thank you for the message, means a lot.

Hi,another newbie from Derbyshire,Pens look great,fancy a try at them myself sometime,
My first project has been a flagstaff for my boat sorry no picture yet as I turned it from two pieces and it is still gluing..
I find that working with my hands ,making things very enjoyable,I hope that the new hobby has a positive effect on your illness.
I will post a picture of the flagstaff when its dry and see what you think,take care Sean

valvoltec":1gkp1noc said:
Hi,another newbie from Derbyshire,Pens look great,fancy a try at them myself sometime,
My first project has been a flagstaff for my boat sorry no picture yet as I turned it from two pieces and it is still gluing..
I find that working with my hands ,making things very enjoyable,I hope that the new hobby has a positive effect on your illness.
I will post a picture of the flagstaff when its dry and see what you think,take care Sean

Hiya, where abouts in Derbyshire are you? We are in Chesterfield.
I am surprised how relaxing I am finding it, I have never had an hobby....my thing was always cars and fixing them, I found enjoyment in stripping them and figuring how they worked.
Now that I cannot bend to work on cars I think that was just fuelling my depression, that is why I am trying to set my mind to other things hence the woodworking.

I am at South Normanton,not far away,if have worked on cars and heavy plant since leaving school.
What are you thinking of turning next,I am a bit limited as the lathe here came with no chucks or back plate.
I like the look of acrylic,I have an idea for some posh grab handles for the boat.
The glue should be set on the flagstaff today,just the truck [top] to sort out,and varnish to do.
I am also going to try to move stuff around in the workshop and tidy up too

I am at South Normanton,not far away,if have worked on cars and heavy plant since leaving school.
What are you thinking of turning next,I am a bit limited as the lathe here came with no chucks or back plate.
I like the look of acrylic,I have an idea for some posh grab handles for the boat.
The glue should be set on the flagstaff today,just the truck [top] to sort out,and varnish to do.
I am also going to try to move stuff around in the workshop and tidy up too

Only down road then fella, look forward to some pics of your project once dry. I'm thinking of diving in and trying something bowl shaped next.

IMG_00000009_edit_1278_2274.jpg
As promised,a picture of the flagstaff,Sean
This took nearly as long to upload the picture as make!

Attachments

• IMG_00000009_edit_1278_2274.jpg
    IMG_00000009_edit_1278_2274.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,008
Back