My Cyclone Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is it fitted in and clamped in place. It is stuck to the rectangular inlet at the top and bottom with a small bead of gripfill.

Viewed from above

IMG_3010.jpg

And the buisness end below. The ramp is joined to the drum with a bead of gripfill above and below all round the edge

IMG_3016.jpg

I'm now very pleased with it. Its a good fit and very smooth. I now need to build up the layers of resin on the buisness side (bottom) and resin and mat above and extend the matting up the sides of the drum.

Thats all for now

Mark

very interesting thread. i have just received a turbine fitted with a 2.2kw 3phase motor. i intend to build a cyclone from scratch, not unlike yours. so this is very interesting !

I'm having problems progressing this at the moment as I don't seem to have any time but that's not stopping me thinking about the next steps. I have always intended to add a coloured flow coat to the outside to make it a bit neater. I was going to leave the inside as it is since it will not be seen. I am now thinking of adding a coloured flow coat inside. My thinking is that if there is any wear it will be more obvious when I check it and can then make any repairs needed. Anyone see any probs with this idea?

Mark

Time to resurrect this thread. Been a busy few months and not had much workshop time.

The ramp has had a number of layers or resin built up on it, now has a thick layer of plastic and doesnt reallt flex when pressed.

IMG_3273.jpg

You can see I have also cut the excess cylinder off that protruded beyond the ply rings.

Upper drum and lower cone have had a layer of flowcoat applied, making it look a lot neater

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

Now thats the main construction done, save for any repairs or improvements I need to make once I have it running.

Now just need to fasten the 3 bits together. Oh and buy an extractor to power it and a drum to catch the chips. I am swinging back to the thought of running it off a camvac rather than a standard HVLP blower from a chip extractor, but might change my mind again.

Mark

that is increadible. Please let us know how get on once you get your engine sorted out.

thanks for sharing

This is now finished but is currently sat on a shelf.
I need to buy a drop box and some flexible 4 inch pipe and build a wall bracket.

The main reason for not having it set up yet though is the extractor to power it. I keep looking on the bay but nothing has come at a reasonable price.

I am also still pondering whether to go traditional HVLP or buy a camvac. I believe the camvac could be used to draw from power tools as well as the machines. My workshop is only about 5 x 6 metres so no big runs and is well away from all the houses so the brush motors are also no major concern. Anyone tried a camvac with a cyclone?

Mark

Hi "Bear"
I found your thread whilst searching for infor on home built cyclones.

Like you I'm a little put off about working with metals. So I found your approach very interesting. However the posts stopped without a report on performance.

Could you update us all on how you went with your novel method? How is it holding up to use? Also, is it quieter than a metal cyclone?

thanks

Gorttman

Latest posts

Back