Mummys Christmas pressie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
When i asked my mum what she wanted for Christmas she said she wanted a little stool so she could reach the top of her larder ( shes 5'4")
So with a week to go i thought id better get on with it :oops:
DSC00016.jpg

I turned the legs on the Legacy and decided to do a through mortice and put a maple wedge in the centre so i turned the round mortice to 25mm .
DSC00018.jpg

A quick sand up on the Lathe and i also needed to change a bit i wasn't happy with but it was quicker to do it on the Lathe than set up the Legacy again .( That should please some people :lol: )
DSC00017.jpg

I glued the top up a few weeks ago so drill the 25mm holes ready to take the legs .
Question : I have the mortices for the legs fitting perfectly but as i intend to wedge the middle of the tenon i.e split the tenon , would it be better to make them a loose fit or should i make the wedge so it just bites into the timber ?
DSC00019.jpg

Marking out for the cross braces , i'm not sure if i should leave these plain or do some kind of pattern in them or turn them round :? As said before it is very easy to go over the top with the Legacy and as furniture making is not what i normally do .......... What do you guys think ?
Thats as far as i've got but another day in the workshop tomorrow .

Jason

Very nice so far
As for the cross braces, you could round the tops over a little and drill some holes in the side.

Say three
15mm, 10mm and 5mm from the inside out.
I think if you do to much it might look to busy.
Cant wait to see it finished :)

Hmmmmm i was thinking of turning a rope mould for the braces , not using the flat timber in the pic .
One thing i have noticed from looking at the pics is i should have thought about the grain direction before i started turning the rope on the legs . Ive just noticed from the first and fourth pic that the starts are not in the same place #-o This is easy to sort out by turning the legs but where will the grain end up showing on the top ](*,)
Not as easy as it looks this furniture stuff is it :shock:

I agree with Colin - keep the braces simple,otherwise it will detract from those lovely twisted legs.
As for the wedges,I believe that the top of the mortice should be slightly wider than the bottom,so driving the wedge in makes the tenon like a dovetail (to stop it pulling out)
Carry on with the excellent work :D

Andrew

As Andrew said about the holes but I find that if you put in two wedges, 6mm or so from the edges of the dowel ends ( use a contrasting wood or ask someone for some :whistle: ).

Also I am not trying to teach you to suck eggs but also take the edge off the top of the square block on the legs :wink:

Looks good. Don't forget to make sure the weges are at 90 deg to the grain of the top or it may split when you drive them in.

John

Thanks for the tips guys :D
Colin , i was thinking of using maple for the wedges , do you have something better ? :whistle: I was also thinking of lipping the edge of the top in maple , good idea or to much again ?
Good point about the square top on the legs , i cant copy the round over thats on the bottom as the cutter is to big , maybe i should just knock the corners off .

Hi Jason

For you wedges I have some wenge or mahogany, cherry and I can the a look to see what else I have :) .
I would just knock the corners off

Hi Colin , i take it from the timber you have mentioned you think darker wood would be better ? I thought maple would make a nice touch but you guys are the experts here not me .
I think knocking off the corners is the way to go on the legs but i'm still not sure what to do on the top . Could be a good excuse to spend Christmas day in the workshop :lol:

Jason

As I will try to get down to you this week, I can bring some bits with me and we can see what you like the best :)

I know your game pal , while im looking at the timber your knocking out 50 newel posts on the legacy ! :lol:

JFC":3fi7ueya said:
I know your game pal , while im looking at the timber your knocking out 50 newel posts on the legacy ! :lol:

Who me, not me ( dam I have been made) 8-[ :D

jason
youre a man of many talents
love the stool {that means a different thing upnorth } :shock:
keep us posted
hope youve got time to finish it

Jason

Nice looking work so far mate

How about a tutorial on the legs ie;
size
cutters used
number of starts etc.

to help use new comers to the legacy :wink:

Andy

Hi Andy :D For the first parts i turned the stock round using the planer cutter, the feet where done with the barley twist cutter 32mm . I then indexed the bottom of the square part with the same barley twist cutter .
The rope mould was a 32mm rope mould cutter with two starts and turning both the start and finish of the twist round .
I managed to get it finished and the first coat of varnish on today so Mum will be happy for Christmas :D
DSC00023.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

This was a funny one for me as i don't normally make furniture , if a stool can be called that . But i was thinking all along the same work has gone into this as making a table or three windows . It started to annoy me as it was taking so long to make something so small .
Lots of things i would change now its made , the wedges on the top should have been bigger and the braces could do with a curve on the underside but hey ho .
An eye opener for me and if it wasn't for this forum i wouldn't have taken the time to make it .

Jason

Why do you think the braces ( rails in furniture :wink: ) need a curve on the underside as this would make them look smaller?

Its some thing you dont do all the time and you have done a good job, so learn from it what you feel you need to and put it in the next one :) .

I cant see any thing wrong with it =D>

Jason

LIke you mentioned previously, having the legacy their is a temptation to go over the top

I think the balance of the rails and the decorative legs works well.

You have probably inspired me to stop playing and make a useful project

Cheers

Andy

Latest posts

Back