Multiple Challenge Entries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
As I am sure you all noticed, somebody made two entries for the Autumn challenge.

There is nothing in the rules limiting turners to one entry but I feel it could be a double edged sword. I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of all the entrants and those of people who just like to follow the challenge.

i am not an entrant, but i think it would be good to allow. It would allow somebody to make an item within their comfort zone, and try something experimental as well, safe that they will at least have an entry to put forward.

As above, when we get too many to deal with we can start rationing participation, but I would support the more the merrier for now as after all, a crowd attracts a crowd (hopefully!)

Simon

I submitted two entries in an attempt to keep the challenge alive.

Also, it's like buying two Lottery tickets, which I think is allowed and gives you a better chance than if you just buy one?

I am not trying to have a pop at you Naznomad, as I said, there is nothing stopping it and I agree with your and others comments. It could well build the number of entries. Actually I applaud you. I have made two versions of an entry in the past and then had to decide which was best. Never occurred to me to enter both. :)

But, on the other hand..... Many people say they do not enter because the more skilled turners always win ( not a concept I agree with ) and it is POSSIBLE ( not probable ) that you could end up with the same person taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

My thinking is tending towards a rule that allows multiple entries until you have won a challenge, and then restricts you to one.

My lack of experience and skill was the reason I almost didn't enter, but I thought, ''I'll post the pics in a 'what I did today' thread, so might as well enter them''.
:-D

Grahamshed":287zxjai said:
My thinking is tending towards a rule that allows multiple entries until you have won a challenge, and then restricts you to one.

i dont like that idea- if you did one that was borderline eligible, it wouldnt be worthwhile entering it and the competition would be a poorer place. the current challenges are open to interpretation and pushing the boundaries is (or is to some) part of the fun surely?

I am a little on both sides here as most competitions that I have entered only allow one entry per person and like most I assumed it with this one this keeps every one on an even keel, But I can also see the other side in that with so few people entering that it can boost the amount to be judged as well as the entries. If you are doing a final score as well at the end of the season then to enter more than one item can be awkward to work out the scores.

Just out of interest are there people that do not enter thinking that the same people always win so don't bother to enter or is it a case of lack of confidence to enter thinking people will laugh at your efforts

I haven't entered yet as I haven't made anything worth entering yet! Now I'm pretty much set up with my lathe I'll definitely be entering, time permitting. The new one is particularly well timed as I'd have thought a lot of people will be making presents - if you're already doing it it doesn't cost anything to stick it in the competition! People entering more than one entry is fine with me - if one person gets 1st 2nd and 3rd they probably deserve it! :lol:

I have no problem with people doing that - I wish I had entered - bought a dremel thing for it but never got round to it due to many reasons....

...sorry!

:(

TFrench":2t42vywf said:
I haven't made anything worth entering yet!

Hasn't stopped me - this time, or previously!!

Actually, it has stopped me in the past. I've decided that as soon as the garage build is finished and the new workshop is up and running, I've got to at least have a go at each challenge, however beyond me - I see them as challenges, rather than true 'competitions'.

In addition, the work put in by Graham and his predecssors, as well as Paul and Richard judging, certainly deserves us to make an effort and have a go, however 'low level' it may be.

PS I've no problem with multiple entries, in fact if NazN would send me one of his, I'll happily pass it off as my own.

gregmcateer":32848hlk said:
... in fact if NazN would send me one of his, I'll happily pass it off as my own firewood.

HEY!!! :evil:

:lol:

Multiply entries should be allowed unless the challenge produces more entries than be felt with and like already mentioned, if somebody does clean sweep they must have deserved it.
Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject.
Sam

Latest posts

Back