Multico bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosander

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Multico bandsaw i bought for a quid, it is an old model and has D3 on the plate as the model number. Its three wheel, stands on its own steel base. The frame of the saw is cast aluminum and ist painted grey, from new i wold hve thought.It needs work to get it up and running but works ok if you can keep it on the ground!! The tyres on the wheels are worn so they run oval and snap blades. not too much to put right i would have thought. My question is. Does any one have any info on this machine? Age maybe? Or possible places to look for a manual of just its history? .... Thanks Pete.

No. this is not like mine. i would say the one i have is older, The top half is all cast aluminum, lots of shapes cast inside to make it sturdy. The door is aluminum too. It is really old school, solid, and no skimping on materials. I will try hard to get some picture on here of it. Not too sure i will have much luck there, but i will have a go. Thanks for your interest and suggestions...... Pete.

You say the tyres are worn oval - not sure what you mean but Bandsaw wheels are frequently crowned to keep the blade running on them (tend to run up to the high spot).

As you surmise it's apparently not too hard to replace tyres although I have never done it.

The tyres on the machine are worn to the metal in places and what i presume is full thickness in others, so the wheel is 6 to 8mm bigger in place. I know the place where this machine came from, and have seen the cause of the problem. one of the workers has a wood burner and used the poor old gal to chomp through pallets, and logs of huge diameters!! the blade was tightened to piano string level to keep it running on the wheels. With the wheels running out up to 8mm, you can see why the blades snapped for a past time. The old machine is now replaced with a huge new bandsaw and the process continues with even larger logs!! all very dodgy, but out of my hands.
I have removed the wheels and turned off the rubber tyres and skimmed the wheels true, in a engineers lathe. The bearings are surprisingly good. I am going to glue on 1/4 inch thick rubber with contact adhesive and see if this will turn down, when it has adhered. I am not too sure if this is the way it is done? But its worth a try. The casing of the machine is now hammerite green, and the inside will be White as soon as the outside is dry.

Back