Moving from ntl to Sky

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

We are thinking over the move to Sky from ntl, but I have a question about Sky broadband.

Is it broadband as we know it, ADSL, or is it also delivered via their satellite?

Does anyone use Sky Broadband and, if so, how do you rate their customer service and system performance.

Thanks
Neil

Its ADSL. My sister has it and has had no end of trouble.

Why the move from cable? I am on Virgin and find the service brilliant. I have also just taken up their 4 for £40 deal. I get the Large Tv package, Medium Broadband, Telephone and mobile phone. All for £40 a month. I think that is a bargain.

I personally have decided to stay with Virgin Media. Their new channels will have all the programs that were on Sky One, and they are sorting out their own sports packages, plus the film-flex is fantastic. I think they are a better bet than the ever greedy Murdoch monopoly.

I used to have Telewest broadband, but moved 'off net' to somewhere that only has ADSL. In my experience, ADSL is a mixed bag. When I had Telewest broadband I never bothered checking my download speeds, as they were consistently fast.

With ADSL, the rates can vary dramatically, and for a while there I was getting awful speeds. However I dont get 'Sky' broadband, and different providers do seem to differ in the service they provide.

Disclaimer: While ADSL discussion groups are packed with people wailing about their awful service, happy customers are quiet customers, and some people also complain wildly about cable broadband.

(Summary: I'd stay with cable, but... shrug)

I have Sky Broadband and sky talk and two sky TV packages

Don't bother with the sport or movie channels

I have had no problems since getting the broadband connection 2 months ago, BTW I switched from Tiscali, could not do with talking to India call centres

i've been with NTL (now Virgin)for broadband for best part of 8 years. Originally took out TV package also. I have now had to go back to sky for TV as cable signal was appalling.
However I ditched Sky for cable because their service when you have a problem is EXTREMELY BAD. Took me 8 months to get a major problem solved. If they treat you like this with your internet connection you'll be pulling your hair out. To be fair NTL were only slightly better to deal with but the internet connection has been rock solid, never a problem.
If its just internet service I'd say stick with cable.

Hi all

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated.

The internet service is very important to me as I do quite a bit of work over the internet. I must say that the ntl broadband has been excellent.

Thanks
Neil

Just because you are with virgin media does not mean you can't do better and stay with them.

They have a special department called 'retentions' which can do special deals that customer services are not allowed to offer. When you tell them you want to leave you may get referred to retentions. Or you can just phone the retentions number and say you have seen a good sky deal and ask what they can do as you want to stay with cable but....

Ex Telewest number is 0800 073 0591 and ex ntl is 0800 052 9403.

I got a deal with 4 meg BB, sky sports, a V+ box and phone calls for considerably less than the listed prices. See the Digitalspy website for details of what other people have got - some did a lot better than me.

I have moved from NTL to SKY I have saved about £25.00 a month for the same deal TV, phone and broadband. I got a deal at Xmas that allowed me to have Sky+ installed for free so couldn't turn it down. I have had to reboot the router about 8 times in 2 months but I have no more problems than I did with NTL on the whole service about the same for me but I win on the TV deal and money I'm saving

RobertMP":2szwv2l1 said:
Just because you are with virgin media does not mean you can't do better and stay with them.

They have a special department called 'retentions' which can do special deals that customer services are not allowed to offer. When you tell them you want to leave you may get referred to retentions. Or you can just phone the retentions number and say you have seen a good sky deal and ask what they can do as you want to stay with cable but....

Ex Telewest number is 0800 073 0591 and ex ntl is 0800 052 9403.

I got a deal with 4 meg BB, sky sports, a V+ box and phone calls for considerably less than the listed prices. See the Digitalspy website for details of what other people have got - some did a lot better than me.

I've just been reading through this thread on the digital spy forum. People are geting some amazing deals. Think I will ring up tomorrow and see what they can offer me.

I'm on Sky broadband after leaving Orange. Customer service on both Sky and Orange is rubbish from my experience, but that's the case with most companies. What I can say is that my Orange 8meg broadband speedtested at 1.5meg on the good days, Sky 8Meg tests at 7.2meg on good days and 5.6meg worst case. No complaints here, £26 for sky tv, broadband and free eve and weekend calls. More if you want sport and films but who needs movie channels when you have 7.2meg of broadband bandwidth... :whistle:

martlewis":2c37zi8m said:
No complaints here, £26 for sky tv, broadband and free eve and weekend calls.

We were looking at paying an extra five pounds a months and having foreign calls to ten numbers foc. AS the loml's family are in Australia we would have saved over 100 pounds in the last quarter. :cry:

Cheers
Neil

Robert MP, thank you so much for bringing the retentions number to my attention.

As I said, I had just signed up for the 4 for £40 pounds deal which I though was a bargain.

I have just rung the retentions number and said that I signed up to this a bit rashly and as I was still within my 7 day cooling off period I was thinking of cancelling. The very very nice guy on the phone said that he would just go talk to someone and see what he could offer me as an incentive to stay. 2 mins later he came back and offered me this:

TV: XL (top) package with V+ box and full sky movies and sports
Phone: XL (free calls anytime)
Broadband: L (4mbs soon to double to 8mps)
Mobile: 300 anytime anynetwork mins + 300 texts

wait for it.....

£42.50 per month! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone thinking of leaving Virgin, I urge you to ring this number and get a cracking deal.

Where is that retentions number as I think I wil have to ring them :twisted: :wink:

Thanks for the tip

Glad it worked out for you :)

You got a better deal than I did! Think it varies according to who answers the phone.

ntl used to only give you a special deal rate for 3 months. These new deals don't have time limits attached.

I think they want to hold on to customers as the game plan is to sell more stuff with the on demand service. If you are not a customer they can't sell you extra stuff.

RobertMP":2r5pww65 said:
I think they want to hold on to customers as the game plan is to sell more stuff with the on demand service. If you are not a customer they can't sell you extra stuff.

I think your right, but also I'm sure it doesn't cost them any more to give you the top tv, phone, internet package so they might aswell have £42.50 of you rather than nothing.

Back