mountable vernier guages

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilting

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Purchased. Cost £40 but it also displays fractions so i'm pretty pleased. A bit more then i wanted to pay but then everything seems to be that way.

Thanks i've bookmarked the page for future reference. I have other projects in mind and they sell some longer ones that look alright. However they don't display fractions.

I don't know anyone who works in imperial that doesn't use fractions. It puzzles me why they would think decimal fractions is even remotely useful.

:wink: That's the one i was looking at to!

I have to many demands on what little money i'm making right now so it will have to wait. Just insulated the shop, now i've got to put some heat in it and build a door. Not to mention keep up with buying the essential tools when projects require them.

The woodrat has been my first indulgence, well my third, i bought a couple of lathes as well.

I don't know anyone who works in imperial that doesn't use fractions. It puzzles me why they would think decimal fractions is even remotely useful.

You have to remember that the vast majority of these scales are made with engineering in mind where it is usual to work in decimals of an inch 0.001" or "one thou" being the usual measure. Thats if you don't work in metric. I've got them fitted to the X & Y table on my milling machine and really would not find fractions much use.

Another couple of sources
http://www.warco.co.uk/Measuring-Equipm ... 47946.aspx

http://www.chesteruk.net/

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Digi ... hines.html

Jason

You have to remember that the vast majority of these scales are made with engineering in mind where it is usual to work in decimals of an inch 0.001" or "one thou" being the usual measure.

Why is it then they sell them specifically for thicknessers then? Surely if such accuracy is needed for such a piece of equipment they would manufacture them with such tolerances in mind. If you look at all the measuring rulers on thicknessers they are definitely not accurate. Just an approximation. Even the pin that points to the ruler is often set so far away the angle you look at it with can change the setting a fair amount.

Thats why I said "the vast majority" are for engineering with some adapted for woodworking use.

The engineering tools are made with tighter tollerances with teh handwheels callibrated with 0.001" or 0.0005" divisions, the scales just make it easier

I agree that teh rules on low to mid end thicknessers are poor with parallax etc. Its not untill you start paying Felder prices that you get a 0.1mm readout and then its an extra

Jason

unfortunate situation with the guage.

They sent the wrong one and when i emailed them to exchange or refund they did not reply. So i've listed it on ebay so people can see just how good their service is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330374042725&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I'd not recommend using http://www.machine-dro.co.uk.

I've sent them an e-mail to the e-bay item for them to buy back, if they don't at least i've made a point and maybe others will find out how poor their service is.

crazylilting":r524aap3 said:
I've sent them an e-mail to the e-bay item for them to buy back, if they don't at least i've made a point and maybe others will find out how poor their service is.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. It doesn't make a jot of sense!!!

Wasn't so dumb!

Got the attention of the manager right away. Seems they finally want to do something about the issue. Now i can get the right one sent.

The intention isn't to sell it. The point is if businesses can't follow through there should be consequences. People spend hard earned money and some companies don't seem to care if they made a mistake.

The £60 is for the company to buy it back, i've sent them a link, and they have replied. If they follow through and send me the right one everything is ok if they choose to do nothing then it is just bad advertising for them which they can stop at any point by buying the item. Each week the price goes up £1 to cover the cost of the listing.

It's a simple concept. I have not disparaged them in the ad just said that they sent the wrong item and did nothing about it and that is why it is for sale. Anyone looking for that item on ebay will see that there after sales support is not good.

I see you'r point (do I :roll: )

I believe you live in cloud cuckoo land to think he will buy it back like that

well good luck

The whole thing is just bonkers. Why didn't you just ring them up? I've dealt with them in the past, in fact I think the main guy is a forum member.

I just can't fathom why anyone would list something on eBay to 'teach a company a lesson'.

It's just weird. I'm surprised he didn't tell you to go away in short jerky movements.

Latest posts

Back