Motor Speed Controller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried one of these with a Router? I just want to be able to slow my Trend T4 down a little.
I must say I’m not all that enamoured about the multi style outlet on this particular model but there are others.

IMG_9321.jpeg

I've used a module based on the same tech on an angle grinder.
They work, they are cheap, they don't give soft start or constand speed under load like a proper variable speed router but if you just want to knock the speed down 10 or 20% then yes.

I wouldn't spend more than 10-20 quid.
In practice I suspect you'll want to drop the speed to more like 50%, at which point you have halved the power of the motor just when you need it for the big cutter. A constant speed router can feed more power in to maintain that reduced speed, your dumb speed controller can't so they are much inferior in practice.

I bought one of Temu for £5.78.

I've been using it to balance input and output fans.

1pc AC 220V 4000W Thyristor Voltage Regulator Speed Temperature Light, Volt Dimmer Adjuster Controller, Easy & Safe To Use High Power
£5.78

It's working well.

Not sure I'd want to put 4000w through it.

When I get my new system up I may try it and see, since I'll have no further use for it.

I’ve just read these sort of things are only for single speed routers so not suitable for a variable speed one.
I wanted to reduce the speed on my T4 a bit but I’m not sure this will do the job?

T4 is a variable speed, so not, not suitable. I've never tried feeding the output of one of these circuits into another. It could be a non event, it could be messy, either way I don't think it will work the way you expect. There is absolutely no point and I'd expect it to mess with any constant speed under load function the T4 may have.

Why would you want to do this ? The T4 isn't very powerful in the first place and if you want to slow it down, just dial it down a notch.

I suspect you will need a bigger and better router.
Better so that the minimum speed goes lower, bigger so that you still have some sort of useful power available when you've slowed it all that way down.
You may find that 2nd hand ones aren't that expensive.

Latest posts

Back