Motor for new modellers table saw. 240v advice sort.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just collect a new toy. Bought of ebay, a small modellers table saw.
See pics below. It just the blade, mount, shaft, cover and mytre etc. The shaft has a v-belt pully on it. I bought it with the intention of putting a motor from a second hand cheapy hand held circular saw I was given. It being 240v and using simlar blade sizes. But having looked it some more, the blade mount is actually cast as one with the shaft it appears. I also gave it a test run and the motor was not very powerful.

I bought this, for helping my make small pieces of wargames scenery and other small bits. I won't be ripping timber etc. So, anyone creative folks have a good idea where I can get a suitable drive motor cheaply, one which will take a v-belt pully and of course a switch, pref non volt return type for it. But a standard one will do if I have to. It is only for my own personal use.

Images below:
saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

saw3.jpg

saw4.jpg

My initial idea is to mount it too a plate I can clamp into a work table with the motor behind and switch at the front. I need a sliding mount for the motor to act as tensioner.

That looks nice. Something in my damp squib memory s telling me these were sometimes powered with sewing machine motors?

Any of these would do you:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=29787&name=Motor&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

And if your getting the 550w or 750w ( Imagine either of these would be ok for what you need, my first table saw which had a 10" blade was 1500w brush motor so for your smaller work 750w should be ok?) which are 19mm bore you can get 19mm or 3/4 inch pulleys on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=3/4+pulley&_sacat=See-All-Categories

If you want a NVR switch to wire it to I have a spare one that you can have for £10 inc postage.

HTH!

PS Mitre is spelt mitre or miter depending on where you look. ;)

The main motor man on here is undoubtabley Bob (9fingers) who I am sure will be along in a moment. He has an uncanny knack of homing-in on anything to do with motors.

Cheers

Mike

Hmm elctic sewing machine. Hmmm that spark an idea. But not sure how practivel it will be..lol.

Any other options? I would of course, like to make it as cheap a solution as possible, as it is not a major essential for me. I just like projects like this to play with from time to time. :D

Sadly my hope there was still a sewing machine out in the garage, turned out to be unfounded.
So still in search of a motor.

Goose, they turn up regularly at our recycling centre, shall I keep my eyes open for one?

Roy.

I really like this little table saw. I don't know why, but I really fancy having one. Not that I can think of a single use for it! :lol:

I once bought a sanding machine from one of the Netto, Aldi, Lidl type places and it was absolute junk. I scrapped it, but kept the motor. So that might be an idea for you. If one of these places has something like that come up, you could just buy it for the motor.

wizer":3dlwb6f5 said:
I really like this little table saw. I don't know why, but I really fancy having one. Not that I can think of a single use for it! :lol:

I once bought a sanding machine from one of the Netto, Aldi, Lidl type places and it was absolute junk. I scrapped it, but kept the motor. So that might be an idea for you. If one of these places has something like that come up, you could just buy it for the motor.

Look exactly like the saws on the old Kity multimachines - several m\c's mounted on some sort of table with 1 motor and swapping belts over.

Digit, if you spot one, and its not too much of a hassle and cheap.

Yes, its not going to compete with any serious table saws, but for my model building and odd dabling into wood work, it should be quite adequate and for the price, it cost me a bit more than a blade would.

I just need to sort a suitable motor and make up a mountain plate so i can simply lift it onto the work bench and clamp it in and away I go. Or so the plan in my head goes so far. lol :)

Right Goose, leave it with me. There was one there yesterday so I'll call in tomorrow and see if it's still about.

Roy

If you're doing model work then you need to source a much finer blade. 60-80t at least. A good saw doctor (like Atkins and Walker) will sort you out.

Back