Morticers recommendation: Sedgwick, Multico K or Multico M series

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main problems with the grub screw attachment of an auger is two fold, first you need a few collars to suit tge auger shaft diameters. These are often lost and you need to get new ones machined up. Secondly the grub screw, they get mangled, stuck through saw dust, rust etc. and if you haven’t ground a big enough indent in your auger and it spins, your in a whole world of hurt potentially getting everything apart again.

I’d personally look out for one like this

IMG_1470.png

I would avoid Multico Morticers on the basis that a lot of them are quite heavily worn out and inaccurate. They utilised woodruff keys on the head travel which when there are a few kilos acting on the lever with such little surface area as a woodruff key to keep the gear in place on the shaft, they tended to wallow out the soft steel shaft and there would be horrendous backlash in the lever handles movement over time.

I'm amazed no one has snapped up this original single-phase Dominion, it'll last forever: Log into Facebook
That's interesting regarding Multicos, I guess though that a test drive of the machine would show it up if its a current problem at least.
When the head only moves up or down, if I stand correct the only inaccuracy can be that you mortise deeper than intended?

The dominion is a lump! Too far away for me I'm afraid and at 400kg I'd struggle getting it into place!

I’d personally look out for one like this

View attachment 164457
I'd discounted 3 phase machines as I dont have 3 phase supply, but don't so eliminates so many good machines to choose from.
Is it an expensive/complicated job converting from 3 to single phase? Perhaps it would be worth the time acquiring the knowledge to do it.

I would avoid Multico Morticers on the basis that a lot of them are quite heavily worn out and inaccurate. They utilised woodruff keys on the head travel which when there are a few kilos acting on the lever with such little surface area as a woodruff key to keep the gear in place on the shaft, they tended to wallow out the soft steel shaft and there would be horrendous backlash in the lever handles movement over time.

I'm amazed no one has snapped up this original single-phase Dominion, it'll last forever: Log into Facebook
A sloppy operating arm would not affect the accuracy of the cut. Mine was well used but had absolutely no evidence of play as you describe.
Brian

That's interesting regarding Multicos, I guess though that a test drive of the machine would show it up if its a current problem at least.
When the head only moves up or down, if I stand correct the only inaccuracy can be that you mortise deeper than intended?

The dominion is a lump! Too far away for me I'm afraid and at 400kg I'd struggle getting it into place!
The depth of cut can be controlled by the adjustable depth stop.

I've got one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33498142...mpid=5338757986&customid=bimtalk&toolid=10050Presumably far eastern.
It's excellent. Very heavy cast iron construction and solid design and details.
Not as heavy as that Dominion monster but similar quality of engineering.
They don't crop up very often but well worth considering if you happen to spot one.
I've seen your machine from another post you made, she's beaut and I actually spotted the one currently on sale on ebay. Just a little too far from where I currently am.
Why do you presume its far eastern? I thought they are a English manufactory and also wouldn't have though that era of machines would be import into the UK.

I've seen your machine from another post you made, she's beaut and I actually spotted the one currently on sale on ebay. Just a little too far from where I currently am.
Why do you presume its far eastern? I thought they are a English manufactory and also wouldn't have though that era of machines would be import into the UK.
I think Poolewood now are just dealers and not manufacturers. Could be wrong.
https://www.poolewood.co.uk/The morticer looks very traditional as though it came from a long line - they don't stock anything like it now.
I guess they imported them.

A sloppy operating arm would not affect the accuracy of the cut. Mine was well used but had absolutely no evidence of play as you describe.
Brian
Yeah I don't fully understand this either.
I can imagine play in the lever mechanism may manifest as a lag between movement of the lever to movement of the chisel. Similarly, play in the table could make it more difficult to position the piece of work under the chisel. Certainly frustrating but I'm not sure how either would affect accuracy. Perhaps @Against_The_Grain can elaborate

I have two of these Dominion beauts in my collection, three phase and a single. Amazed its still there, me too!

Brian
Yeah I don't fully understand this either.
I can imagine play in the lever mechanism may manifest as a lag between movement of the lever to movement of the chisel. Similarly, play in the table could make it more difficult to position the piece of work under the chisel. Certainly frustrating but I'm not sure how either would affect accuracy. Perhaps @Against_The_Grain can elaborate

I was referring to the “worn-out” bit when I said inaccurate rather than the sloppy handle. The slides on the Multico machines wore drastically more than other machines because the dovetails were much smaller and of inferior cast to other manufacturers, particularly the earlier K morticers that used a square slide rather than a dovetail. I have seen Multico morticers that had 1mm of inaccuracy in the table travel due to extreme wear in the centre which makes accurate morticing all but impossible.

All the slides on the Poolewood machine are adjustable in the old fashioned way and will last forever.

I was referring to the “worn-out” bit when I said inaccurate rather than the sloppy handle. The slides on the Multico machines wore drastically more than other machines because the dovetails were much smaller and of inferior cast to other manufacturers, particularly the earlier K morticers that used a square slide rather than a dovetail. I have seen Multico morticers that had 1mm of inaccuracy in the table travel due to extreme wear in the centre which makes accurate morticing all but impossible.

All the slides on the Poolewood machine are adjustable in the old fashioned way and will last forever.
I don't know much about mortisers but in my head I can imagine that if the fence on the table is not parallel/perpendicular to the directions of travel of the table that's a big problem.
Therefore am I correct that the table needs to have adjustment or if it cannot be adjusted it needs to have been built in such a way that it would never deviate from being parallel/perpendicular from the fence; hence wear on slide that cannot be adjusted=bad

Therefore am I correct that the table needs to have adjustment or if it cannot be adjusted it needs to have been built in such a way that it would never deviate from being parallel/perpendicular from the fence; hence wear on slide that cannot be adjusted=bad
The Multicos, Sedgwicks, and some others are only adjustable to take up the slop from wear in the slides, the slide the table is forced against is usually part of the main casting and cannot be adjusted. If the main casting and table have worn considerably the only way to remedy that is to re-machine both.

I have had an old Evenwood morticer for the last 20 years. I use it much less now due to the domino and router as well as the size of my work. Single wheel adjust is not an issue, you just have to be methodical as you work,
Spares would be an issue but they are not complex. The only issue I have had was the return spring which was a coil a bit like a large tape measure was broken. Repaired with 2 large trampoline springs and now works fne. I think the counterbalance weight is a better option
Make sure all slides have proper adjustment

Hi I'm just about to put my 1'' Draper bench morticer part no. BM25 on ebay if you interested will post some pics, not had a lot of use.
What part of London? may be able to deliver

OP here. Just to pop back in and thank all for the good advice which has saved me a significant amount of money and hopefully helped me acquire a very good morticer at a very good price. Its an eBay auction win, I haven't picked it up yet but once I have it safely in my workshop I'll unveil it to you all😂.

Just on the matter of eBay. Does anyone buy machinery from the dealers on there or indeed the small time dealers on facebook?
The prices they are looking for are absolutely ridiculous. I know that at least 2 forums members have recently bought the same morticers for £100 and £170 that this dealer is asking £750 ono for!
They must sell f all, or there must be some very uninformed buyers out there.

OP here. Just to pop back in and thank all for the good advice which has saved me a significant amount of money and hopefully helped me acquire a very good morticer at a very good price. Its an eBay auction win, I haven't picked it up yet but once I have it safely in my workshop I'll unveil it to you all😂.

Just on the matter of eBay. Does anyone buy machinery from the dealers on there or indeed the small time dealers on facebook?
The prices they are looking for are absolutely ridiculous. I know that at least 2 forums members have recently bought the same morticers for £100 and £170 that this dealer is asking £750 ono for!
They must sell f all, or there must be some very uninformed buyers out there.
Low price quick sale. And vice versa. Depends how long the buyer/seller is prepared to wait. If in the middle of a big job, paying £xxx extra could be worth it to get it next day.

Back