More help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Student

Established Member
Reaction score
Some 5 years ago, at my daughter's house in France, we had some ancient rotting doors replaced. The replacement doors were half glazed with double glazing and a "Georgian" look with 12 panes per door i.e. 3 across and 4 down with a fanlight above, 3 across and 2 down.. The makers wanted to put the glazing beads between the two panes of glass to give the Georgian effect but I didn't like that approach as you can tell that it's false in a certain light. Instead, I asked for the glazing beads to be fixed externally. This was done and they looked fine on installation. However, some glazing beads have now become loose and fallen off and it appears that they were fixed with some sort of double sided sticky tape with foam between the sticky sides.

The question is how to re-fix the beads. I could try cleaning the glass with acetone or whatever to get rid of the adhesive residue and then use more sticky tape. If so. what's it called and who supplies it? The alternative would seem to be to glue the ends of the beads to the stiles with PU glue such as Gorilla glue. However, I wonder if this would cause problems if the glass expands and contracts with the heat especially if some of the glue gets between the beads and the glass. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

When I worked at a joinery we used similar stuff but more like a putty than foam, quite good I seem to remember.

Adidat

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I've found what looks to be the ideal stuff online. Mind you it comes in reels of 40 metres; I need just 1! I'll have to keep the rest for future repairs and hope that the adhesive on it lasts for a few years.

Back