More beer for me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day when homebrew was popular usually the day after a few pints my bowels could eject with so much force I could hit a barnyard door from 40 feet away. It may well have been good for the bowels but not so good for the underpants' :poop:.......... I shall say no more ...........
Incomplete fermentation/poor quality yeast/wild yeast contamination, or all three.

Well made homebrew shouldn’t do this ^^^, nor should it be “quite good for homemade beer”. It should be as good or better than pub stuff.

Modern beers are usually filtered to remove yeast, but you can use finings (and good fermentation practice) to ensure the beer ‘drops bright’. I use Irish moss and gelatine.

Back in the day when homebrew was popular usually the day after a few pints my bowels could eject with so much force I could hit a barnyard door from 40 feet away. It may well have been good for the bowels but not so good for the underpants' :poop:.......... I shall say no more ...........

A good friend of mine made some Dark Mild a few years ago... Although neglected the instructions to clarify it because he'd mislaid the findings by the time it got to that point.

The beer was pretty palletable if a bit cloudy, and we imbibed a great quantity of it in a group.

About 4 hours later all holy hell was unleashed with everyone desperately scrambling for the loo, I don't think anyone soiled themselves but it was a close run thing, and whilst the bathroom eventually recovered, he never could get the smell out of the downstairs loo.

I've taken up home brewing since lockdown. My favourite kits are:

St Peters kits: St. Peters Beer Kits
Festival Premium kits: Festival Premium Ale Beer Kits

They are almost as good as the 'real' thing - they definitely don't have that yeasty taste that homebrew used to have when I was a student all those decades ago...

Paying 60p 'ish for a pint instead of about £3 for decent supermarket stuff means I've "saved" loads of cash to spend on timber/tools - win/win !! :)

Sloe gin is ever so easy, but ignore what everybody says about pricking the berries, I experimented and it works just the same without but takes 5/6 days longer.
I used to brew my own beer a lot! But that was 20 years ago, full works with an insulated mash tun and sparging. great fun and really good results, I set up a mini microbrewery – only five gals at a time but it was all there with a gravity fed system boiler water at the top and the hot water from the cooling used to wash out the equipment. so go for it, I’m another one from the Darkside ha ha. Ian

I've made sloe gin for quite a number of years and have nevr pricked. What I do do is to put the berries in the freezer and then allow them to thaw out slowly which reults in the skins breaking - as you would do if you pricked.

But then if you are real traditionalist you take home a thorn of of the sloe bush to do your pricking!!

Back in the day when homebrew was popular usually the day after a few pints my bowels could eject with so much force I could hit a barnyard door from 40 feet away. ........
Good to hear, sounds like I'm on the right track then.
Not bought any kit yet but have taken up the Lidl suggestion, but Aldi instead as it's a lot nearer.
Random selection of interesting bottles and cans. First to hit the tonsils was The Hop Foundry's "Hop Stepper - Hop Forward Pale Ale". Very nice I might have another one in a minute.

home schooling.jpg

Back