Monthly beginner focus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisnw

Established Member
Reaction score
:!: I've just noticed another thread has started about the comp - this thread is totally unrelated to anything to do with these posts and I hope that nobody interprets the timing of this post as any statement regarding the challenge 'cos it is a seperate issue. - Chris

In Blister’s thread about the monthly competition, there is a discussion point about having a tiered competition for different experience levels. In responding to this I realised that perhaps there is a gap in the market for us beginners who might benefit from a non competitive challenge or monthly theme much like you would get at a local turning club. I cannot commit to a turning club because of random working hours and standby commitments so ukworkshop is my turning club... I suspect many other beginners are in the same boat.

I guess my idea is more easily expressed as an example.

Lets say September’s theme was ‘Spinning Top’. Perhaps one of the more experienced members could be encouraged to write an example, or a link to a tutorial or vid (much as Leo did with his skew top example on youtube) could be used as a starting point and then those of us interested could have a go too and post our ideas to a common thread throughout that month.

We could describe as much detail as we wanted on wood choice, design etc and any successes/difficulties encountered. Again, perhaps some of the more experienced members might be able to provide some response to the problems encountered and provide critique where requested. Individuals could post multiple goes too hopefully progressing throughout the month.

I appreciate that actually that this suggestion is nothing new. Experienced guys provide great critique and feedback already and we are encouraged to display whatever takes our fancy. I am merely suggesting that a common theme might encourage even more activity which surely can only be good?

No prizes or anything required – hopefully the satisfaction in taking part and the quality feedback will be sufficient to encourage folks to participate. Like I say, this is probably better focussed towards beginners but there should be no limits on who participates.

It’d be rude after making this suggestion to not offer to step up to the plate and contribute so unless anyone more experienced wants to take the lead - I’d be happy to start a monthly thread and give it a try - if there is interest

So... is this a reasonable idea? Mods – am I allowed to be suggesting this sort of thing or any reason why it shouldn’t take place, after all it can be tried and if there is little interest or if interest runs out there is nothing lost.

Cheers

Chris

Sounds a very good idea. After just over a years turning, there are still many areas where my skills are severely lacking and I still feel like a 'beginner'.

I'm not sure how it could be structured to make it different to the current system but perhaps a slightly more 'formal' setting would make it better supported.

Be interested to see how the idea develops.

Chrisnw":r9zubf02 said:
.... Mods – am I allowed to be suggesting this sort of thing or any reason why it shouldn’t take place, ..

Well the thread is unlikely to be deleted, anything that gets more 'output' posted.

I think it is a good idea

Lots of us are in the same boat of trying to acquire loads of skills as rapidly as possible

However, when I started just a year ago one of the "sages" I spoke to said I should spend the first year repeating the same simple turning to get the skills set. I chose the alternative method of trying to develop many skills all at the same time.

I was reminded of a chap who sailed his yacht from Australia to the UK. Having got here he put in to take his Yacht Master exam. He failed. Although he could sail the open seas he was hopeless at the finer skills of manoeuvring etc. His knowledge was too narrow.

Long way of saying I think focusing on a varied diet of skills maintains interest and broadens horizons.

Although I don't want to appear that the competitions are the sole focus of the forum, if the "workshop" topic, where appropriate followed the preceding months challenge everyone can talk in detail about their work offering tips insights and learn more about the skills and processes used, together with WIP's from the projects.

This would then enable full and open discussions with a ready set of images to refer back to.

Back