Monitor Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a new monitor for a relatively only base unit. It's an LG M2380, a 23inch wide screen tv/monitor. The problem in that the picture is terrible on the computer. It's really blurred. I've installed the correct driver and googled for help which reckoned that I should be selecting a screen resolution of 1600x1200 true colour (32bit). The problem in that this option doesn't appear in the choices. Auto detect puts it on 1280x1024 which is the closest but I believe this to be a 4:3 ratio so everythings squashed. The cable to the base unit is a good quality one and the picture is crisp and clear on my 19inch 4:3 display. Is it a limitation of my old chipset for graphics on the mother board? Any ideas anyone???

Assuming you have done as suggested in the review ...

"The monitor's HDMI inputs can produce rather unpleasant results when it's connected to a PC. We recommend you try the VGA port if you want to use it as a computer monitor."

... then I think it can only be that the PC video card can't give the required resolution.

One disadvantage of LCD compared to CRT is that unless driven at their "native resolution" - that is their actual number of pixels, they will look blurred. Chances are you aren't being given the correct resolution as a choice because your graphics card/chipset is too old/not powerful enough. A new replacement graphics card would probably solve it, but beware, your pc may not have the appropriate slot for a modern card. More info about your pc would help us to advise further.

Si.

Yes that seems to be the case. Took it to a shop in the end and there no graphics card slot so I'm tied to the on board graphics chip set which is too out of date. It's a shame as for what I use it for, it's plenty fast enough. To compound matters it's a Dell so is built upside down and back to front internally so persumable you have to go back to Dell to upgrade and it just is't worth it. I do have a spare computer which is newer and more powerful but it's current case is too large to fit where my current case is. Next to try is a micro ATX case and rebody the other machine so that's my job for Monday. The problem I have is that all my software is legit so I'm worried it wont work when it senses its a different machine. Is there some way of unregistering all the programmes? I know there is for itunes. Thanks for the help.

p111dom":bekh3mg8 said:
I've bought a new monitor for a relatively only base unit. It's an LG M2380, a 23inch wide screen tv/monitor. The problem in that the picture is terrible on the computer. It's really blurred. I've installed the correct driver and googled for help which reckoned that I should be selecting a screen resolution of 1600x1200 true colour (32bit). The problem in that this option doesn't appear in the choices. Auto detect puts it on 1280x1024 which is the closest but I believe this to be a 4:3 ratio so everythings squashed. The cable to the base unit is a good quality one and the picture is crisp and clear on my 19inch 4:3 display. Is it a limitation of my old chipset for graphics on the mother board? Any ideas anyone???

If all you're doing is re casing and not changing major components such as motherboard, CPU, HDD etc then I don't see an issue and your current operating system can't detect any difference and will run exactly as it does now.

Bob

Thats ok. It will be a new mother board and processor. The problem is that I've been making a few youtube videos editing via Windows Movie Maker but I can't do that on my base unit as the on board graphics don't support pixel shader 2.0. I've two hard drives in the machine, memory and various other boards such as extra usb ports etc. It's just that I inherited a ATX machine which is comparatively new so I could transfer some things across such as memory and hard drives but the system will be different from my current one.

When I looked into upgrading my old desktop I thought it would be straightforward. A new motherboard and processor - no problem, but it would need different specification RAM, then the graphics card was an old AGP and the new motherboard needed a new connector format. Then it seemed all these components needed a more powerful power supply. So at the end it would work out cheaper to buy a new system with guarantee. I'm still trying to work out the specifcation of the replacement machine!

Misterfish

Things are changing all the time with the components.
I've just upgraded my PC and apart from the drives and the case nothing in the previous two machines I built about 7 yrs ago are compatible?
I've kept the HD's as back-ups to use with some external caddies I have, the rest went to a Charity for recyling.

p111dom":3l9kydls said:
The problem I have is that all my software is legit so I'm worried it wont work when it senses its a different machine. Is there some way of unregistering all the programmes? I know there is for itunes. Thanks for the help.

Swapping a motherboard & cpu for totally different ones, will result in nothing booting up in all probability.

As long as you have the install media and product keys - there shouldn't be an issue with re-installing. Although you probably will have to re-install the o\s as well.

Good Luck

Dibs

Latest posts

Back