Modifying Dremel Router Base Attachment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to modify my Dremel router base attachment so that it can be fitted with a collar to follow a guide in the same way as conventional routers which are fitted with collars. By removing the two screws which fasten the router base to the multi-tool support, I've been able to create a new base out of MDF

DremelRouterfix.jpg

MDFBase.jpg

I know, I know; the MDF needs to have its edges shaped :roll: :) .

I'm trying to work out the next step. The cutter has a diameter of 3mm so I presume I'll need some sort of metal tube which can fit around this. Would a 6mm internal diameter be adequate to allow swarf dispersal? Where could I get such tube and how can I fit it so as to ensure concentricity with the cutter?

Gill

trend guide bushes go down to shy of 8mm OD

the 6.5 ID would give sufficient chip clearance with a 3mm cutter

you could rebate your mdf to take the bush

the bushes cost about £6, a length of tube would probably cost the same and it would save the hassle fixing the tube in place

Gill if you can't locate an off the shelf guide I can turn one up for you as long as outer diameter is no more than about 48mm. (I only have steel stock up to 50mm dia.)

Would just need a sketch of your required dimensions.

Latest posts

Back