Modern Shaker kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
A recent project
Shaker doors, painted with walnut highlights and carcases

luclacey21.jpg

Curved island

luclacey4.jpg

We normally do dovetailed boxes but the client liked the steel ones, looks pretty good to be honest.

luclacey8.jpg

Very nice, a little cold and clinical for my personal taste but beautifully executed as usual. I think the contrast between the exterior and interior works really well, I like it when you open a cupboard and the interior surprises you.
Richard

woodaxed":yjqpk66t said:
why call it modern shaker it has nothing to do with that style is basically sprayed mdf

I think you will find these days that a square edge 5 panel door is referred to as shaker, I know it's not correct but forgive me for just using kitchen talk. Language changes and diversifies all the time...... gay ...... chill .... cool .... etc all have different meanings these days .... I have nothing against pedantic people I just don't see your point, It's not me calling it shaker, it's what an industry has named it and I'm just following suit

Can I ask what makes you think it's MDF.

Sorry to say I don't like it one little bit, looks like a dentist's operating room. Although I can appreciate the quality of the work, which looks top notch.

It just looks quality all round, been reading a few of your posts lately so to be honest i expect nothing less now! Not so sure about the choice of flooring to go with it but im not trying to be a smart buttocks, i'd put myself in the dumb ass class for woodworking in general :lol:

With that in mind i have to put my hand up and say yes please to construction pics from you. Even if it's one pic and a sentence about any single part it that you thought was worthwhile showing i for am always interested to see how the pro's about it. Of course i realise earning a living and pleasing the client etc are all much more important than educating me when that's my job but sometimes if you don't ask you don't get!

Dean

Great work as usual Bob. I think you would have to be a bit of a masochist to build everything in solid if it is your business. Nothing wrong with veneered board and I am sure if the old masters were around today they would also use it for it's stable and versatile use. it would be great if you could build something entirely from solid wood if you can get the commissions for it but not something to consider for a kitchen! Strange that the 'poster' didn't know about the modern Shaker style though? I do like the contrast of the wood and painted finish and like the clean look of the kitchen myself. :wink:

Those steel boxes are quite nice I see they do white ones too now. I popped over to Isaac lords in high Wycombe last week , they have a really good blum display set up over there. Shows all the gizmos you can get.

Richard S":3mmkxagb said:
...... I like it when you open a cupboard and the interior surprises you.
Richard
What you mean there's nothing in there!
Trouble with these modern kitchens is the surplus storage space - they don't make sense unless you buy your baked beans by the crate - but that doesn't make sense either. Saves a few trips to Lidl I suppose
Then there's the obsolescence. 5 years on and a few burn marks, chipped edges won't be repairable and it'll need replacing entirely. J
Surprised me when I first noticed how misused it has become, along with "Georgian style" which always seems to mean total garbage.

Jacob":3n10dzv8 said:
Trouble with these modern kitchens is the surplus storage space

To be honest, if I could afford to a) live in a house with a kitchen that size, and b) commission Dr. Bob to install new kitchen furniture for me, I would probably have no trouble filling all the cupboards! Doesn't have to be food - after you've got the obligatory six varieties of smoothie makers, the meat slicer and the portable teppanyaki grill, you start to have trouble finding space for your crate of beans!

I prefer my teppanyakis boiled (homer)

Beautiful kitchen, huge space, and the colour scheme alone would justify having a cleaner.

Well I can tell you from personal experience that even a kitchen twice that size with double the storage space will "never be enough". Storage space in kitchens is a little like Public sector borrowing....the more you have....the more you spend.

All that happens is you start keeping stuff you would have thrown away when you had less space (Raclette, fondu set, six cafetiere's that you didnt use since 1976, the inevitable George Forman low fat grill, so many blinkin glasses....and of course the classic.....the wedding dinner service). Now...you do of course use the wedding set...when the queen comes round for a spot of lunch!

doctor Bob":208j8k93 said:
She and Phil won't be there on Sunday Bob, they are having nibbles at my gaff followed by a game of twister.

He's going to struggle, with all those coloured spots!

Back