Alcove cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I'd share my recently completed project. I've never done cabinetry before and I learnt a ton throughout the process and I'd probably change a few things now looking back. The biggest one would of using a MR MDF instead of the normal stuff and using a router to grove the rails and stiles of the shaker doors this might have prevented warping (already on a door but the others seems OK for now).

IMG_20221103_130330.jpg

Frame fixed to floorboards using Redwood PSE

IMG_20221109_163652.jpg

Sanded the edges of the MDF in three stages, 120, 180 and 240 using the orbital sander sat on top of the pile. I also primed them in this position too,

IMG-20221105-WA0005.jpeg

Doors made from 12mm and 6mm MDF, stiles and rail glued and pinned.

IMG-20221204-WA0001.jpeg

Carcasses assembled, painted and secured to the frame and walls. Back of carcass had to be cut out to accommodate the socket. I tempted to remove the sockets and secure them to the back of the cabinet but quickly decided it was going to be very difficult.

IMG_20230115_165103.jpg

Doors and filer pieces attached, skirting on and top being test fitted.

IMG_20230201_113910.jpg
IMG_20230201_113944.jpg

Finished!

I used Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer and Leyland Trade Hardwearing Acrylic Eggshell on the MDF.

@hertspretendchippy
That's excellent work.
Just a thought.
I've used Polycell 'Deep fill Pollyfilla' to fill gaps between a wall and the 'packing piece ' (or whatever it is called) of a cabinet.
You would end up with a seamless join between wall and cabinet when painted.
Cheers
Fred

That does look very good. I am looking at an almost identical project at home right now even down to the power sockets, but with some shelves above. Why did you say that you would use MRMDF instead if you don't mind me asking, was it just how it would take the paint?

Thank you everyone for your feedback and kind words. These cabinets took me an absolute age to complete but was all worth it in the end. Looking forward to sharing more in the future!

@Fred48 Cheers Fred and thanks for the suggestion. That is something I've been meaning to do :).

@MikeH Thanks! Well in that case I'd highly recommend watching 10MinuteWorkshop by Peter Millard on YouTube. Lots of great advice on this very topic. So MR MDF is moisture resistant MDF - MDF tends to suck on the moisture in its environment and warps. I saw this happening as I was gluing up the carcasses. It's more expensive and slightly harder to source but the cost is marginally compared to the time and effort it takes to complete the project. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me - more than happy to help where I can!

Last edited:
what sort of carcasses did you use? They look premanufactured? will be attempting to do something very similar soon.
The carcasses are all handmade from 18mm MDF. I designed the cabinets in SketchUP. I used that software to get all my dimensions and bought the MDF from B&Q, got them to cut it with mm precision.

The shelf pins were drilled out with a normal hand drill. I made a jig and used the top corners of each side for reference. The spacings for the holes were all copied from our kitchen cabinets.

The carcases are all butt jointed using wood glue, dowels and a few MDF screws for good measure. But dowels and glue may have been enough!

Here is carcass design

1675853810463.png

Last edited:
looks very good, love the plan, shame my local B&Q doesn't do any cuts,

Just had a little go with ketchup, have no clue what I'm doing haha

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your feedback and kind words. These cabinets took me an absolute age to complete but was all worth it in the end. Looking forward to sharing more in the future!
The fact that it took you an age matters not a jot. That you had the patience and perseverance to take the necessary time to achieve the standard you aspire to is what really counts. Congratulations on such excellent work. Look forward to seeing more.

Jim

excellent job - looks great

I made a toilet cupboard , in that style - BUT I used 12mm MR MDF and added 9mm to make the shaker look

And was told i would get a much better paint finish using MR MDF
I have watched all Peter Millards Videos, and watch whenever a new one is released - excellent series

Back