How much would you charge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening everyone

I’ve done a few jobs like this now, but roughly how much would you charge/do you charge to build a cabinet around this pipework? Double shaker doors (probably 6mm panel and 18mm stiles and rails), 22mm countertop with ovolo detail, all primed and double top coat (white eggshell). Approx size 1m x 0.5m x 0.3m (h x w x d). All mrmdf.

Never sure if I’m over or under selling my work!

Cheers
Pete

Attachments

• 7c78ae98-04f8-4fba-9d1b-c2c35fe948a3.jpeg
    7c78ae98-04f8-4fba-9d1b-c2c35fe948a3.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 0
It`s going to take a couple of days all in. 2 days plus costs. Which will sound too much but isn`t.

I might be inclined to buy a kitchen unit and cut it down to fit, maybe a wall unit.

Ollie

I'm always intreaged by questions like this, surely the answer is charge as much as you need/ like, you need to cover your time, materials and overheads.
There will always be someone cheaper and a lot, more expensive than you anyway, partly down to the quality of the work done and the desire to do the work.
If someone has no work they tend to put in lower prices.

Consider material cost alone. 1 sheet 18mm, 1 sheet 6mm, 1 sheet 22mm. Paint 750mm primer 750mm top. Hinges and handles. Yes some you may have but if you don't...
People never want to pay for this utility work. I bet there's over £100 of material buying to do. And fetching materials at least 2 hours. It's something that £200 would seem expensive until you try and deliver . Even painting could be annoying especially if it's a way away. And I've found the better your personal(woodwork) skills the more ridiculous these jobs become often harking back to a place where I could knock something up on site and they could paint which is often the best financial arrangement!

Long time since I bought any paint, was in a builders merchants today and was surprised by how much the price has gone up. Same for things like sealants. Even if you already have some things like undercoat they will need to be replaced one day so maybe price it in at replacement cost not the old cost you bought it at. Nothing is free. (well, semantically nothing really is free because it's nothing, but you get the idea).

I’ve done a few jobs like this now, but roughly how much would you charge/do you charge to build a cabinet around this pipework? Double shaker doors (probably 6mm panel and 18mm stiles and rails), 22mm countertop with ovolo detail, all primed and double top coat (white eggshell). Approx size 1m x 0.5m x 0.3m (h x w x d). All mrmdf.
£250 or thereabouts.

With the doors, id forget about building actual doors and just use a flat sheet with the make rails and stiles glued on. This will same time,effort and cost.
For example if you use pine to make the rails/stiles, it gives hinge screws something better to bite into

Given that looks like under floor heating pipework then access will be reqd for repairs and maintainance so i guess it depends what ghe customer wants - so price for cheap as chips mdf or plywood boxing in with an access panel for any repairs etc and a more upmarket version as you have described . As long as the materials and sundries are covered and of course your time then its down to how long it will take for either option imo .,

I work fort a kitchen company and I have seen some of the prices for little jobs like this being charged at over a thousand pounds, we look at each other in the office and the normal comment is "You f.ing sure, how did they get away with that"? Material cost is about approx £80 if the doors are bought in, £30 if we make them, some of the clients we have are spending upwards of £75000 for a kitchen so I suppose they can afford it, I guess they will pay it if they have that sort of money, we can't even as workers afford the most basic kitchen from our place, or anything else come to that.

You will end up saying " how can I reduce the price to fit there budget"
You need to establish the potential budget from the get go so your not wasting energy offering things unnecessarily. Your multi panel job sprayed off site is at one end. A few planks screwed with slabs they paint at the other. Say £450+ for the first £250+ the 2nd.

Back