Advice on building a double and single wardrobe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
The missus has tasked me to build a double wardrobe (1100w x 600d x 2150h) and a single wardrobe (500w x 600d x 2150h) approx.

I've built workbenches and cabinets for the garage before but this will be the biggest build so for for me so just wanted to check out some stuff:

Going to use 18mm MRMDF for the project (9mm or 6mm for the backs) and will be building it using biscuits and glue. Is that a reasonable choice of material?

Should the 'top' and 'bottom' fit on top/bottom of the sides or inside the sides?

The double will have a full width shelf at the top and bottom. These shelves will be used to store general 'stuff' so don't really have an idea of the kind of weight they will need to bear but, being realistic, I'm thinking they will have to bear at least 20 or 30kg.

With this in mind, I'm thinking I'll have to reinforce the shelves but not sure of the best way to do it. Maybe use something like 63x38 CLS for the 'rails/stiles' of the shelf and clad that in 6mm mdf? Is there a better way to do it?

Same question for the top of the double ... will that need to be reinforced to not sag under weight too? If so, whats the best way?

The doors will be quite large so I'm wondering how many hinges will be need. Is three on each enough or will I need more?

Also, is there a 'standard' way to measure hinge placement?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've got basic tools - tracksaw, mft -type table, drills etc

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info.

Funnily enough, it was your Mackintosh Wardrobe series that inspired us to build our own. Great stuff!

I'm not sure I'd be able to summon the mental and physical resources necessary to to lip everything - and I don't have the tools either so I suppose that approach is out for me.

blackbulldog":2vm70nng said:
Hi,
The missus has tasked me to build a double wardrobe (1100w x 600d x 2150h) and a single wardrobe (500w x 600d x 2150h) approx.

Going to use 18mm MRMDF for the project (9mm or 6mm for the backs) and will be building it using biscuits and glue. Is that a reasonable choice of material?
Yes

Should the 'top' and 'bottom' fit on top/bottom of the sides or inside the sides?
Typically, the carcass sides extend the full height, and the top & base fit within these.

The double will have a full width shelf at the top and bottom. These shelves will be used to store general 'stuff' so don't really have an idea of the kind of weight they will need to bear but, being realistic, I'm thinking they will have to bear at least 20 or 30kg.

With this in mind, I'm thinking I'll have to reinforce the shelves but not sure of the best way to do it. Maybe use something like 63x38 CLS for the 'rails/stiles' of the shelf and clad that in 6mm mdf? Is there a better way to do it?
Fixed shelves or adjustable? If fixed then it’s only the front edge to be concerned with, really, and a simple softwood batten applied as lipping is usually enough. If they’re adjustable, then a torsion-box style shelf would work, or a regular shelf with the above lipping applied front & rear will also work.

Same question for the top of the double ... will that need to be reinforced to not sag under weight too? If so, whats the best way?
Not generally, as it’s supported on 3 sides; if it sags a little over time, then a batten concealed behind decorative cornice can work well.

The doors will be quite large so I'm wondering how many hinges will be need. Is three on each enough or will I need more?
Solid doors or panel? If solid they’ll weigh about 18Kg apiece; you might get away with 3/door, I’d be more inclined to go for 4.

Also, is there a 'standard' way to measure hinge placement?
A simple jig usually does the job. I’ve done lots of fitted wardrobes and general cabinetry, link in my profile to my YouTube channel, or try the ‘bedroom furniture’ playlist.

HTH P

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's really helpful.

Don't want to get all fanboy ... but it was your channel that inspired me to sort my garage out, get a tracksaw and build my own mft thingy. There's hardly a day goes by where I don't watch at least one of your videos, brilliant stuff. Really looking forward to your adventures in CNC.

Good point about the doors, hadn't considered how much they would weigh. I was thinking about buying a router and building a router table so I could make panel doors but I could see my self forever building things that would help to build things but never actually getting round to building the things!

Thanks again,
Keep well.

having built many wardrobes over the years, I learnt the following the easiest way:

-make a baseboard a but smaller than the wardrobe, out of 18mm chipboard, mdf whatever. screw adjustable legs to it.
when fitting robe in position, put baseboard down on floor, adjust until dead level. Build robe in front of it, lean carcase forward, then slide carcase back to wall.

-I make carcasses with confirmat screws -just screw it together, but design the wardrobe so that any exposed sides have a side cheek -which can be made say 15mm wider than carcase to allow for scribing to wall.

-Ive found face frame construction easier, for home construction it sort out the problem of edge lipping and allows for making individual carcassess for multiple runs.

Latest posts

Back