Mobile speed Camera Vans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":2xf8qibt said:
If you are in the middle of hundreds of cars doing 85mph, and you think you can be self righteous and slow everything to 70mph I hope I'm nowhere near you. And as for getting into the inside lane, how is it proposed that that is done? The lanes inside you are doing 85mph. In these circumstances there is only one safe speed - 85mph. Reality happens. Sorry.
I'm sure you'd get a round of applause after the multiple pile up.
What happens as you slow down is that the car behind slows down as well (and the one behind that etc). In fact most of us slow down not just to avoid hitting the vehicle in front but to maintain the 2 chevron gap, as a matter of course without giving it a thought. Eventually there will be a gap if you want to switch lanes.
If you find this problematic I suggest you avoid fast roads altogether you don't seem to have had much experience of this sort of thing - or have a practice in fine weather.

Call me naïve or simple minded but none of the comments so far have changed my opinion from my first thoughts, that there are drivers of various skill levels, experience and aptitude on the roads and the laws need to cut across every drivers ability. But either end of that spectrum is catered for that way too.

The exceptionally good drivers will need to be patient with the less skilled - if they choose not to then so be it, if they feel they are too good to be restricted by the law then bring on the day when they need to explain that to a Magistrate. I think we all know that whatever bluster they publish on here they will not act the same if taken to Court about their driving 'skills'.

And at the other end there is a driving test - which requires the minimum allowed driving standard to be evidenced during that test, which enables one to continue to develop driving skills without a qualified driver with them after then.

The 'P' plates are a good idea for those who have recently passed their test, perhaps there should also be a 'A' plate for the very very very good drivers, the 'A' could stand for 'Accomplished', or perhaps something else? Jinx :wink:

RogerS":2hrayhuc said:
Oh my...I hadn't quite realised that we had so many sanctimonious finger-wagging tsk-tsk'ing trilby-wearing goodie-goodies.

Presumably these are the same folk who accelerate at a glacial pace.

The same folk who will sit behind a lorry doing well under the speed limit but at such a distance that it prevents anyone from overtaking safely. Well, can't have that happening, can we. After all, to overtake that lorry safely would mean breaking the speed limit temporarily ...can't have that now, can we?

Don't forget the fog lights. They must be on AT ALL TIMES, no matter what time of year it is.

I always keep at least 2 cars distance.....one of my pet hates is being tailgated. But then, I am a "superbrilliant driver"

And what about all those Police, Ambulance and Fire service drivers who break speed limits when in the line of their duties? Are they "Unsafe" ? What is your judgement on their skills? Does the fact that they are "the law" suddenly make them OK to do the same thing I was doing? Ah, but I hear you say, they have training and are skilled drivers.........So that's OK? Surely all the same reasons why you consider it unsafe for me apply to them?

The problem with the 2 car/2 chevron gap is that it only works in theory.

If you leave a gap, some pipper will pull into the gap.
So you ease back and recreate the gap. Then someone else pulls in.
Before you know it, you're back on your driveway.
Lol

benjimano":e29kir3m said:
The 2 chevron gap...... I've never seen anyone follow that rule, even traffic cars.
Time you started doing it then. It's safer and it makes driving more relaxed as you don't have to react quite so fast if brake lights go on, or accelerate to get back to bumper to bumper (saves fuel) , which means in turn gives the driver behind some extra thinking time. No brainer really.
The only drawback is you get super brilliant uber drivers (my buttocks!) overtaking and undertaking to get into your gap so you have to stay cool, back off and just feel sorry for them.

markturner":1hr93i2c said:
I always keep at least 2 cars distance.....one of my pet hates is being tailgated. But then, I am a "superbrilliant driver"

And clearly as a "superbrilliant driver" you scale this up to the recommended 24 car lengths at 70 mph, or never exceed 20mph?

Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 188029.pdf

Attachments

• stopping distances.png
    stopping distances.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 489
markturner":30w6wni5 said:
You must be some sort of film star then, surrounded by stretched limos. The recommended gap is two seconds, which at 70MPH(assuming you ever drive that slowly) is about 200 feet. Talking of feet, I think you've just shot yourself in yours.

KevM":3fsxw2aw said:
markturner":3fsxw2aw said:

And clearly as a "superbrilliant driver" you scale this up to the recommended 24 car lengths at 70 mph, or never exceed 20mph?

Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 188029.pdf

Unless the car in front has the ability to stop dead in less than 1 second, then this graph is redundant as a 'recommended gap distance' guide, which it doesn't even say it is.

Jacob":23bcyc01 said:
benjimano":23bcyc01 said:
The 2 chevron gap...... I've never seen anyone follow that rule, even traffic cars.
Time you started doing it then. It's safer and it makes driving more relaxed as you don't have to react quite so fast if brake lights go on, or accelerate to get back to bumper to bumper (saves fuel) , which means in turn gives the driver behind some extra thinking time. No brainer really.
The only drawback is you get super brilliant uber drivers (my buttocks!) overtaking and undertaking to get into your gap so you have to stay cool, back off and just feel sorry for them.

Like I said above, it only works in theory.

I beg your pardon, I meant 2 seconds, not 2 car lengths..... I think if you count the two chevrons it's approximately that.....When I did my advanced driving course with a police instructor, that's what he recommended......it was however over 25 years ago, so recommendations may have changed. Anyway, common sense dictates whatever speed you are doing, you allow room to stop if the car in front does so. Simples

benjimano":1ljgrakb said:
Unless the car in front has the ability to stop dead in less than 1 second, then this graph is redundant as a 'recommended gap distance' guide, which it doesn't even say it is.

Clearly you've never seen a tractor shoot onto the road from a field without warning. Also, quite clearly, the graph doesn't apply to uberdrivers, just the poor schmoes they're forced to share a road with.

benjimano":1uc41wu4 said:
Jacob":1uc41wu4 said:
benjimano":1uc41wu4 said:

Like I said above, it only works in theory.
It works in practice, but only for those who do it!
I take it you are another inexperienced motorway driver like phil.p. Have a bit of practice in fine weather but read the highway code first!

Hello,,
Just had a quick scroll thro" to see where you fellas live,, so assuming you primarily drive in your own locality mostly,,It will only be BugBear and Jinx (who has only just come down here so must fit in with us), who I might come across when out giving the mighty Kawasaki an airing,,,,,,makes me feel better not having to contend with the rest of you,,,,
,,,,joe,,,,

Graph is OK in moving traffic but might not help if something in front is stationary, or crossing the road, but that is very unlikely on a motorway.

"Some motorways may have special
chevron markings in the centre of the
traffic lanes. These are spaced 40 metres
apart, and keeping two marks between
your vehicle and the one in front will
provide a safe driving distance at 70 mph.
There will be signs advising you to check
your distance, keep two chevrons apart
and keep your distance."

KevM":sc0ya1iv said:
benjimano":sc0ya1iv said:

Clearly you've never seen a tractor shoot onto the road from a field without warning. Also, quite clearly, the graph doesn't apply to uberdrivers, just the poor schmoes they're forced to share a road with.

So whats the minimum recommended speed you should be doing to avoid these dangerous sounding tractors? 20? 30? 10? I am curious.

Again, you miss the point.....if you were on a road where there was for example, an opening, or a junction or something that indicated a possible hazard, you cover the brakes and slow to a speed that will enable you to react safely if someone or something pulls out of said junction. Same with any potential hazard on the road...a cyclist, a slow vehicle etc........If you are on a motorway, it's empty, the weather is good and you want to put some speed on, you could very safely drive at 90 or 100 mph in complete safety....then, lets say the weather changes or the road gets crowded etc...you slow down to the appropriate speed.....did you notice that word ? Appropriate ? Its all about reading the conditions and possible hazards on the road ahead. No one is suggesting that you can drive fast everywhere and nor would I....Just where its SAFE.....and APPROPRIATE...Got it?????????? and if that happens to be a little above the recommended speed limit for that bit of open road...So What!!!!!

I have to say though that in all my years, I have never seen a tractor leave the field as described...but I do live in London, so maybe that's why.

" Anyway, common sense dictates whatever speed you are doing, you allow room to stop if the car in front does so."
Well, I'm glad we agree on something. Maybe you'd like to tell 90% of the drivers in the right-hand lane of the M25 about this, as they seem to think it's one car length at 80MPH.

Latest posts

Back