Mobile machine bases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to get myself a mobile base for the t/s, and was thinking of something like this

708118_xl.jpg

It has two fixed castors at the back though - will this mean much less manouverabililty? I need to be able to spin the base through 90 degrees.

Cheers

Karl

I've really been put off by these mobile bases, but it might just be my dodgy floor. What I did with the SuperSaw was buy two bases so I could use half and half to make a 4 corner castoring base. It worked ok but, as I say, my floor meant it used to run aground a lot. I have the normal 2 swiveling castors on my p/t and it's a complete nightmare having to shift it out and then back and then left and then right and then out and then back.... agghh

I think you would be much better off having one welded up to your design. Most industrial estates have a welder tucked away somewhere. I had a large trolley made up out of 40mm box section for about 90 a couple of years ago. So I'm sure it'll only cost you a bit more than the cost of one of these bases.

I have a very similar base on my spindle moulder (ie with two fixed wheels at the rear and swivelling ones at the front).

It works fine and gives surprisingly good manoevrability in a tight space and good stability when positioned to run the machine.

I got mine from NMA to go with the Scheppach moulder - I am pretty certain it is identical to this one that Rutlands stock http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-a ... obile-base - looks reasonable value aat £29.95.

I recall that the trickiest part was lifting the machine onto the base...

cheers

What's wrong with castors fitted to the base of your machines or like me, pick up a cheap s/h arc welder and weld your own mobile bases.
It's dead easy to get reasonable results and fun too.

I bought mine about 10 years ago and it's surprising how often it comes out to do repairs otherwise not possible.
metal bits are easy to find and often given or salvaged foc

Worth a thought, mine has paid for itself many times over.

Karl":29flsb7l said:
I need to get myself a mobile base for the t/s, and was thinking of something like this

708118_xl.jpg

It has two fixed castors at the back though - will this mean much less manouverabililty? I need to be able to spin the base through 90 degrees.

Cheers

Karl

Karl,

Either weld (or commission the welding of) your own design or buy two commercial ones and use the castoring wheels from each to give you a four castor unit to allow spinning on the spot.
Axi/rutlands sometimes have offers on their bases that are quite similar if not the same.

HTH

Bob

When I can justify buying the wood I'm going to make a whole new base for my saw to utilise some of the wasted space where the current stand is and also the "wings" for the extension and sliding table. May even incorporate a router table in to it.

Thanks guys.

I've ordered one of the Rutland ones just to see how it works under the Jet p/t.

The Xcalibur is 260 kg, so is over the recommended weight limit of the Rutland mobile base. The heavy duty base in Axminster is £90, but as pictured above, has two fixed castors.

As suggested, i'll make some local enquiries about getting a base fabricated - I have lots of castors knocking around.

Cheers

Karl

I just built a base for my DeWalt DW50 P/T which needs two people to lift it is so old and solid.

I put two legs at the back and the two front legs were cut to length shorter to fit two large lockable castors (another bootfair £1) which slotted straight into holes with pegs on the castors.

I unlock the castors...lift the back slightly and wheel it around with ease. No problem with unlevel flooring (and believe me, mine is NOT level) and it pulls back out just as easily.

I will take some pictures if anyone wants tomorrow but it is pretty simple stuff!

Jim

I`ve just fitted the Axminster 1 to my startrite TA275 and it works well in my shed, the floor is 18mm osb x2 so I don`t get the problems Wizer does

I can't abide these things :twisted: useful though they may be. I've planned out my 'shop so that each machine is fixed and bolted to the floor. With a bit of care and some thoughtful planning, I reckon it could be done in most 'shops...that way there are no trailing cables (another thing I hate :evil: )
Even with my planned machinery replacements next year, which will be ci, bigger and heavier I'm still going to have permanent positions for each...it'll be cosy, but doable :wink:
The problem comes Karl, when you buy tablesaurs which may be too big for the space they've got to fit 8-[ :wink: - Rob

Karl, I've got 2 of the ones in your picture and they're not bad, though the castors do flex a little under load. Got mine from Axminster, the second of which was badged as Jet, though it was identical. I swapped the corners round so have one under the bandsaw with 4 castors for tight turns, and the other with the 4 rollers under my Jet P/T which only ever needs pulling out from the wall for extra in/outfeed space.
I had to grind a little off one of the arms of the locks on each of the castors to stop them fouling the frame during tight manouvres. This didn't become apparent till there was some weight on them, so required a second shot at installing. I recommend you do this first for obvious reasons.

woodbloke":3h4zfmur said:
The problem comes Karl, when you buy tablesaurs which may be too big for the space they've got to fit 8-[ :wink: - Rob

Ah, but then you need one of these 8) :idea: :wink:

WellsWood":11bpt3km said:
woodbloke":11bpt3km said:

Ah, but then you need one of these 8) :idea: :wink:

I think Rob is playing mind games and hoping to persuade me to sell the Xcalibur :lol:

The turntable is a great idea, but I don't have the room. The saw has to be butted up against a wall, meaning that it won't have room to rotate on the table.

Cheers

Karl

Zambus casters are getting rave reviews and a lot of attention in US woodworking at the moment: http://www.zambus.com/index.php

They mount to your machine, but have a facility where you can easily drop it on to a fixed foot at each caster. They are purpose made for machine moving.

I thought i found a UK distributor a couple of months ago, but can't seem to track them again down now....

ian

ondablade":314ayxl7 said:
Zambus casters are getting rave reviews and a lot of attention in US woodworking at the moment: http://www.zambus.com/index.php

They mount to your machine, but have a facility where you can easily drop it on to a fixed foot at each caster. They are purpose made for machine moving.

I thought i found a UK distributor a couple of months ago, but can't seem to track them again down now....

ian

I think these are similar and i haven't looked but I'm sure there must be others (footmaster)
http://www.rosshandling.co.uk/jacking-castors.asp#foot

Ok guys, I got one of the Dakota mobile bases from Rutlands and put it under the Jet. Works fine, and is more manouverable than I expected (my 'shop floor is chipboard though).

Xcalibur sell a similair mobile base rated upto 500kg, so would be suitable for the t/s, and it's only £40. So I am going to order one of those next week - will let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back