Mobile Base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to buy mobile base(s) with castors to put on machine stands. Used for: bench grinder / pillar drill / bobbin sander. I am looking for the moveable base to me able to move 360 degrees. Can you recommend one that does that?

There's a fair choice. If your workshop floor is nice and flat you may get away with having 4 castors and brakes, whether all the castors are swivel or only 2 swivel is down to personal preference. I have both types and they each have their advantages depending on what your moving and the space your moving it into. Are you looking to be able to move something 360 degree whilst remaining on a fixed spot?

However, my preference is for one with 2 fixed castors, 2 swivel castors and then 2 wind down feet. This allows any floor undulations to be taken out and the stand is rock solid with the feet down. I have the Axminster light mobile bases and they're good but expensive when compared to other makes from the likes of, Charnwood, Rutlands, Yandles etc, I can't speak for they're quality but I'm sure someone on here can.

How about a 500mm kitchen unit with castors on the bottom and a door.

You could trim one down so your mitre saw / p/t were at the same level as the workbench. Then you need a track saw just sayin.....!

Are they already on stands? Or do you need those too?
Some stands you can just bolt castors to and they’re fine, e.g. a jet drum sander and £8 worth of casters is now fully mobile for me.
Pillar drill… high centre of mass, be cautious there.

Back