Felder Hammer mobile base dimensions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have ordered Hammer A2-26 jointer/thickness planer, which is due to arrive in January 2024. I need it to be mobile, but it is ridiculous to pay over 200 € for their mobile base. Does anyone own this base (it is shared among all Hammer machines)? Can you tell me the wheel diameter and the shaft diameter? I will build my own base as it looks very simple and made of few purchased parts.

Thank you.

Do you have a link to the product?

Can you find any photos of the product?

Do Felder provide a user manual or installation instructions for the product?

You can use something of a known dimension from the photo to scale the size of the wheels.

Do you have a link to the product?

Can you find any photos of the product?

Do Felder provide a user manual or installation instructions for the product?

You can use something of a known dimension from the photo to scale the size of the wheels.
Thank you.

Here is the link to the product Planer-thicknesser Hammer A2-26 1 x 230V 50Hz

Here is a picture from the manual. It would be difficult to scale, especially the inner hole in the wheel. That is why I wanted real dimensions, as many people who have Hammer machines also bought this mobility kit.
1698062066888.png

Here is the link to the product

Sorry. I should have been clearer. When I said 'product', I meant the mobility kit itself. I looked at the weekend and they have numerous wheel kits and I could not immediately see which was the correct one.

Whatever the size of the wheel, it will likely have a standard size hole in it. In other words, if you buy a 100mm diameter nylon wheel from 10 suppliers, every one of them will have the same size hole in it.

I have a Hammer A3 31 with the Hammer wheel kit and lifting bar fitted to it....I'm not sure if it would be identical to the wheel kit for the A2 26, but I'm happy to measure mine for you and give you those dimensions...?

Edit.
I just looked at the details for that kit that you linked to and it states that the wheel kit does indeed fit both machines and it looks as though the lifting bar is universal.

Here is a link to the wheel kit that is shown as an accessory on the A2 26 page...

https://www.felder-group.com/en-gb/...-hammer-series-3-without-lifting-bar-sp124048

Last edited:
I have a Hammer A3 31 with the Hammer wheel kit and lifting bar fitted to it....I'm not sure if it would be identical to the wheel kit for the A2 26, but I'm happy to measure mine for you and give you those dimensions...?

Edit.
I just looked at the details for that kit that you linked to and it states that the wheel kit does indeed fit both machines and it looks as though the lifting bar is universal.

Here is a link to the wheel kit that is shown as an accessory on the A2 26 page...

https://www.felder-group.com/en-gb/...-hammer-series-3-without-lifting-bar-sp124048
Thank you very much. It should be universal for all Hammer machines. Can you please tell me outer dimension of the wheel, outer dimension and length of the shaft?

Thanks.

I have a B3 that I am just overhauling (if you had asked last week, the wheel kit would have been off for cleaning…)

The shaft is 15mm diameter. The wheels are 100mm diameter. If you are making up your own, you will need to work out the length as width of cabinet + 2 x width of wheel bosses + 2 x retaining collars + 2 x spacing washer (between wheel and cabinet) + a couple of mm (see pic below). There are also retaining collars on the inside of the cabinet). I make the overall length of the shaft on the B3 to be 860mm.

IMG_6698.jpeg

The wheels have roller bearings that the axle runs on.

TBF I don't think the price of the kit is unreasonable (shipping does add a bit though).

Cheers

Edit
I just looked at this guide - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...usg=AOvVaw1DAJ7QTmoo_RDry8Bj2MlZ&opi=89978449 - the Hammer A3-31 evidently has both collars outboard of the cabinet - perhaps fitting the inner ones inboard is not possible or perhaps it needs this for stability, I don't know.

Last edited:
I have a B3 that I am just overhauling (if you had asked last week, the wheel kit would have been off for cleaning…)

The shaft is 15mm diameter. The wheels are 100mm diameter. If you are making up your own, you will need to work out the length as width of cabinet + 2 x width of wheel bosses + 2 x retaining collars + 2 x spacing washer (between wheel and cabinet) + a couple of mm (see pic below). There are also retaining collars on the inside of the cabinet). I make the overall length of the shaft on the B3 to be 860mm.

View attachment 168482

The wheels have roller bearings that the axle runs on.

TBF I don't think the price of the kit is unreasonable (shipping does add a bit though).

Cheers

Edit
I just looked at this guide - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjPpqPfnYyCAxVMXUEAHShOBNoQwqsBegQICRAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q78n6xJhqVw&usg=AOvVaw1DAJ7QTmoo_RDry8Bj2MlZ&opi=89978449 - the Hammer A3-31 evidently has both collars outboard of the cabinet - perhaps fitting the inner ones inboard is not possible or perhaps it needs this for stability, I don't know.
Thank you very much for the advice and dimensions. Maybe I will buy just castors with a hole for screw (see the image below).
1698066948860.png

my only concern is that if I lift the tables for thicknessing operation, if there will be enough stability as the mass of the tables is lifted sideways.

Attachments

• 1698066869951.png
    1698066869951.png
    740.8 KB · Views: 0
I don’t think those wheels would be stable enough - probably the best solution is the Felder kit (you need the lifting handle as well, but that adds manoeuvrability as it has a pair of wheels itself).

Having said that, I prefer the arrangement I have on my big (Scheppach/Ixes) planer where the wheels are only engaged when the other end is lifted with the lifting handle (ie normally it has four feet on the ground). Also the wheels are at the end rather than transverse as with the Hammer kit.
IMG_6700.jpeg

Cheers

Back