Mitre saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
At the start of the year I considered buying the SIP 12" SCMS when it was on offer at my local Costco for £100 + vat. After looking at it I decided that it was just too big a beast for my single garage workshop. At the weekend I was fitting some skirting board in one of our bedrooms and I cut the mitres with one of those plastic Stanley mitre boxes. There were a couple of fiddly bits with internal and external mitres in short sections of skirting around the window. In the end I did a reasonable job but it was not a happy experience. I don't think I would have been happy cutting these short sections with a power saw but my miter box is frankly rubbish. I am planning to replace other skirting and architrave around the house in the not too distant future so I guess my dilemma is; do I go for a power tool, like the SCMS or a better mitre box like the Axminster Deluxe or the Nobex Champion. I can accurately crosscut to length on my Triton Workcentre either using my crosscut sled or with the Workcentre in crosscut mode so it is mainly mitre work that I would want to do. What does "The Panel" think?

ps. I don't want to start a hand tools vs power tools argument I'd just like some informed opinion.

if your really after a good SCMS then the ELU /DEWALT are a good bet, then the MAKITA are also pdg :)
I have a ELU PS274E for sale mentioned elsewhere :oops: forgot its location
in damn good nick and with a reserve blade.PM me if interested.

HS sweating in Friesland finishing the roof membrane 8)

Have you ever tried using a sacrificial base in the Workcentre (in crosscut mode) and setting the saw to 45 degrees? You have to adjust the height of the crosscut table, but other than that it's straightforward. I think it's even in the accompanying video/DVD.

Otherwise, Makita - great straight out of the box.

Ray.

Argee":7ik1zx8y said:
Have you ever tried using a sacrificial base in the Workcentre (in crosscut mode) and setting the saw to 45 degrees? You have to adjust the height of the crosscut table, but other than that it's straightforward. I think it's even in the accompanying video/DVD.

Otherwise, Makita - great straight out of the box.

Ray.

I've tended not to use the Workcentre in crosscut mode much, especially since I fitted the dustbag but I think I'll investigate that option before I spend "more money on tools". I have the Triton saw, how easy is it to set up for an accurate 45 degree bevel?

George
If you want to go the hand-tool route, I have a Nobex Champion gathering dust. It's in excellent condition. It has a blade in it, but that needs polishing up a bit. Sharp, though, had very little use.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Steve

George_N":3cwmqn08 said:
I have the Triton saw, how easy is it to set up for an accurate 45 degree bevel?
Providing that it's installed correctly in the cradle, then it's as easy as setting the angle - use the fine tuner if necessary, but the indent is spot on in my saw.

It's good practice to reposition or renew the MDF crosscut fence to gain the best support when making the initial cut.

HTH :)

Ray.

Back