Mitre saw recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benwer34

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’m looking for recommendations for the best small mitre saw, I’m pretty restricted for space currently and don’t handle much large stock so small is good.

Thanks
Ben

Must confess I've never owned one, but obviously there are lots of cheap 'copies' of the Nobex these days that might be less accurate.

If you want to go the electric route then consider the Bosch GCM 8 SJL. It’s an excellent saw, robust, precise, easy to calibrate, with a large cutting capacity (for a saw of its size). Great for furniture projects and smaller items like picture frames, boxes, etc. Probably a bit small for carpentry. The stock 48T Bosch blade is pretty good but it’s worth getting a 60T negative rake Freud blade for extra clean cuts. Only weak points are that it takes up a fair bit of space because of the slide rails and also the dust collection isn’t that great. But these issues are fairly universal to sliding mitre saws, not specific to this model in particular.

Dewalt DWS774 slide mitre saw. Smidgen over £200.(Usually no more than 205)
250x62mm cross cut, soft start etc etc. Small, basic, capable.
The enclosed sliding rails mean its going to sit close to the wall.Unlike the Bosch GCM 8 SJL as recommended above.
I've got this in its old original format(DW700), its been an excellent saw, capabilities fine for me. I do like the enclose rail system. Way better than having them stick out the back.

Last edited:
Got one of these years ago - can't fault it.

eyJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo0OTJ9fSwiYnVja2V0IjoiZmluZXdvb2R3b3JraW5nLnMzLnRhdW50b25jbG91ZC5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJhcHBcL3VwbG9hZHNcLzIwMTZcLzA5XC8wNTE4NTE1NlwvMDExMTg2MDUxXzAyLW1haW4uanBnIn0=

But it ain't small.

Hi all,
I also find myself in the market for a new miter saw. Plus like many others on the forum space in my shop is at a premium! Thus forward facing rails is the kind of thing I’m looking for. So my question is which miter saws DON’T require space behind the machine/which ones will work when butted up to the wall behind?
So far, as far as I can make out the choices are limited to;
painfully expensive versions
Bosch glide
Festool kapex
Makita
And the more affordable Dewalt mentioned above - truth be told I didn’t realise it had enclosed rails, every time it came up in my searches I didn’t even look at it as I assumed it was just a chop saw type of machine. So thanks for the heads up Triton!
But it now begs the question are there any others I have missed? Plus one assumes the only ”real” sacrifice with the Dewalt is slightly diminished capacity compared with the other machines?
Many thanks in advance for your help and support.
K

A downside of the Dewalt is that because the rails tilt, it isn't suitable for regulated trenching cuts.
Ah, thanks hadn’t thought of that, but I tend not to use miter saw for trench cuts as I find either the table saw or a router to be more accurate!
THANK YOU!

Hi all,
I also find myself in the market for a new miter saw. Plus like many others on the forum space in my shop is at a premium! Thus forward facing rails is the kind of thing I’m looking for. So my question is which miter saws DON’T require space behind the machine/which ones will work when butted up to the wall behind?
So far, as far as I can make out the choices are limited to;
painfully expensive versions
Bosch glide
Festool kapex
Makita
And the more affordable Dewalt mentioned above - truth be told I didn’t realise it had enclosed rails, every time it came up in my searches I didn’t even look at it as I assumed it was just a chop saw type of machine. So thanks for the heads up Triton!
But it now begs the question are there any others I have missed? Plus one assumes the only ”real” sacrifice with the Dewalt is slightly diminished capacity compared with the other machines?
Many thanks in advance for your help and support.
K
Excell small 210mm and large 305mm saws are bar forward. The 250mm is annoyingly bar behind.

https://tools4trade.co.uk/products/...iBUZX8zFt1GSz45w0OKI_QljLRVAa4jsaAgiTEALw_wcB

From personal experience, I can recommend the Makita XGT 40V. I was on the waiting list way before they were released. I am using the small 216mm LS002 and is a beast, I've used it for both wood and metal it is unstoppable and a joy to work with swinging angles in both directions, plus it has a wireless vacuum switch. Like many here, I would recommend spending a bit more and getting the good stuff if possible. 9/10 times I went cheap I was sorry. BTW almost every week eBay has 10-20% discount offers I bought many tools for bargain prices look out for these.

Whatever you get stand it away from a wall. You will need 360 degree access to hover up all the sawdust it produces. A hood to enclose it is a good idea but any design I've seen sacrifices the tilt function.

Hello,
I have just purchased this one to fit a kitchen. I was looking to find one similar to a Hitachi machine that I once had but is no longer made. The Makita is of similar high quality with and easy ambidextrous handle and easy to carry around. Some are just too big and heavy, this on fits the bill. It was recently on offer from FFX but today £100 more. It also takes 254mm saw blades which is the same size as the Bosch GTS10J so I don’t need to buy any extra fine tooth blades. With the blade stowed in down position and turned to full bevel the rails don’t stick out the back and stowage is very slim and neat. The rails are very smooth, the laser a good feature and it bevels both ways. Very accurate cuts with a soft start motor. Good to use, makes cutting easy.
Regards
681FC701-591C-4D0E-8A03-D43DB792AAAC.png

Makita LS1018LN 240V 260mm Slide Compound Mitre Saw Laser

The Bosch Glide saw, a compact saw that can be placed close to a rear wall and will retain a good resale price. I currently use a 315mm Bosch and when that gets replaced it will be with the Bosch GCM 12 glide simply because I like Bosch quality and it will take less room.

Bosch seem to have the best deals on these and their professional range is really quite good. I'd be looking to one of those personally as vfm is very good and quality is good enough for serious work.

Back