Mitre saw recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lal5000

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a sliding mitre saw in the boxing day sales and would like some advice.

I am an amateur woodworker (very amateur) but will soon be embarking on buying my first house and would like to be able to have a go at putting down flooring, skirting boards etc.

I also like to make things out of pallets - cabinets, fireplaces.

Rarely would i need to cut anything super deep but occasionally may use it to cut 4 inch sleepers but not really prepared to get a 12inch saw due to space and more importantly budget.

So im looking for an 8 inch or 10 inch saw and have narrowed it down to these three and would really appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the suitability.

Front runner:

bosch gcm 8 sjl

Second place:

DeWalt DWS778-GB 250mm

Third place:

Fury 3XL

My reasons behind these choices are as follows:

1. my budget is £300ish and the top two are £300
2. I like Bosch tools and the 3 year warranty for blue tools
3. I like the functionality of the bosch
4. The dewalt offers an extra 15mm depth of cut over the bosch at the expense of a few added extras (laser, trench cutting)
5. the fury is way cheaper.

Sorry if this has been discussed a million times before but really would appreciate some advice from some people in the know.

i look forward to your responses.

Laurence

I wouldn't bother with the fury. The other two are proper saws. The fury is a bit gimmicky. I gave mine away.

IMO you will happiest with the saw that is the most rigid and has the least flex to attain the best accuracy. Where ever you are looking at the saws I would pull, push and abuse them as much as possible with the saw both docked and at the full length of the track. The one that wiggles around the least is the one to buy.

I agree with deema above. Just to say that when I went through the same process earlier on this year I landed with the Makita LS1018 which has been excellent in all aspects. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for an accurate sliding mitre saw with high capacity and good build quality.

I have a dewalt not the one mentioned but its a great saw and it gets used alot sturdy bit of kit Dont get the fury as its already been said they are rubbish

Agree with the comments on the Fury, it's cheap for a reason.

I have an old DeWalt DW712 and the thing is built like a tank. I also have a Kapex and have to say I think the DeWalt is a lot more sturdier in build.

That said, plenty of happy Bosch slider users around as well.

Hi laurence
I have the bosch 216mm saw and is very good but you wont be able to cut 4inch with any of the 8 inch saws you wiould need to get the 250mm saw of which brand you prefer
hth David

davem62":40molw8e said:
Hi laurence
I have the bosch 216mm saw and is very good but you wont be able to cut 4inch with any of the 8 inch saws you wiould need to get the 250mm saw of which brand you prefer
hth David

I'm not aware of any 250mm saw which will cut 4"; that would require clearance from the bore centre of 1". You will get close but I suspect 90mm give or take 5 or 6mm. You could of course just cut either side and clean up, I can't imagine your making cabinet grade furniture with sleepers. For 4" you would need to be in 300mm territory.

David, what's the dust extraction like on the Bosch. The DeWalt's are almost useless in my experience, how does the Bosch fare?

i find the extraction very good now I've modified it courtesy of the Steve Maskery video tips,
ie ,using a piece of thin rubber,similar to car inner tubing, cut to shape and used in place of the small original dust catcher behind the blade.because its soft it easily pulls over the timber but still collects 90% of the dust.will try an upload some photos , pictures to me speak more than words
regards david

Attachments

• 20141228_193521.jpg
    20141228_193521.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 2,986
  • 20141228_193701.jpg
    20141228_193701.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 2,986
Back