Mitre Block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanG

Established Member
Reaction score
Wise Ones

I need to make a mitre block (like the one Steve was using for his mantle) to allow accurate trimming with a chisel.

I was planning on cutting a handy lump of hardwood on a SCMS, trueing it with a block plane until it's spot on 45deg' and then routing a rebate in the bottom so it will fit over the piece I need to shape.

Does this sound like a good plan? or have I missed a blindingly obvious point :?:

Hi Sean--it's a good plan. Seen bunches of them in a pattern maker's shop once. Different angles.

Made one or two myself once upon a time. They don't need to be very big. A lower profile is better than a taller one so the chisel can make it all the way down through what you are trimming and not have the bolster or shank foul the top of the guide.

Take care, Mike

That's almost how I make them, too. Plane and thickness a block, work the rebate (in my case on the spindle moulder), saw on the SCMS then a light sand off or a pass with a low-angle plane. I'd suggest sealing them with shellac or something as they can move if they get even a whiff of moisture.

Scrit

Back