Flip top mitre saw work bench. Looking for tips and ideas. TIA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Cheetham

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to start desiging and building a flip top mitre saw bench to house my mitre saw and have it flip away under the bench when not in use. Ive watched quite a few videos on how to make these.

What I would like to know though is has anyone got any good ideas or tips that I should throw in to the equation when designing it. I will be using sketchup to design it.

So far the things I want it to do/features are as follows

* House my scrool saw undernath so I can roll it out when needed.
* House my festool extractor underneath possibly (if enough room)
* Possible bench vice (any ideas for a vice are welcome)
* Storage in any remaining room (draws/cupboards - which are best. Views welcome)
* T track on top to accomdate stop blocks etc
* Measure tape

The width of the space is 3.2m. I know its not that bigger space but it will do me for I only see myself doing smaller projects anyway and can use space outside to cut longer lengths if ever needed.

Any other ideas that would be handy or that you have put in on your own builds would be greatly appreicated.

Picture of space below. Its wider than it looks in the photo btw lol.

Look forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks

20221101_095343.jpg

Built in mitersaw stands have become the in thing on youtube woodworking but the mitersaw takes up a fair bit of room if its in a fixed position. Wherever it is there has to be room for the sliding arms. Flipped over it still takes up space. I have found that I like the folding metal stand for my miter saw and set it up outside whenever I can. Dust extraction on them is hardly worth the effort in any case. A metal stand will also be cheaper than the ply to build a stand. That just what suits me and the miter saw is only an occasional use tool for me. If I want accurate I use the tablesaw. If it was a main use tool then perhaps I would see things differently. Working in the space available is always a compromise and with small spaces the best advice is have most of the equipment mobile.
Regards
John

1 * House my scrool saw undernath so I can roll it out when needed.
2 * House my festool extractor underneath possibly (if enough room)
3 * Possible bench vice (any ideas for a vice are welcome)
4 * Storage in any remaining room (draws/cupboards - which are best. Views welcome)
5 * T track on top to accommodate stop blocks etc
6 * Measure tape
1) under the bench, no problem, under the mitre saw, no chance.
2) under the bench, no problem, under the mitre saw, no chance.
3) no comment
4) draws and open shelves
5) excellent idea
6) excellent idea

you may well find that a docking station that can be easily rolled out to be used in a different location if you need to cut longer pieces.
My saw is under the current state is here
163AA3B1-DB34-4840-AA7F-99A95CA18947.jpeg

48D5D90B-0B0D-452C-918F-A91A16167DD6.jpeg

it was made in 2009
19F9A1AF-366E-4C2C-B114-54E82D8669BE.jpeg
BA5615B9-0A7F-45BA-A4BB-620B0A071059.jpeg

unless I've missed the point.....
I had a brand new DeWalt flip saw, and regret selling quite often...Makita make a copy.....
The way I see it, as have a bench top saw this does both jobs very well and accurate....
if it has to built into a base unit just bin the legs.....simples.....
everything is done for u....
Plus point they can be had quite cheap if u go 110volt....

Have a look at casual diy on YouTube, here's a couple of links

And his update after 3 years use

Rob
just noticed the floor covering.....comfy but it will drive u nuts......
worth the effort to use a decent vynal/lino type ....
still not so bad if u drop sharp tools but a site easyier to sweep up.......
have u any idea how much shavings u'll make even if u have decent dust collection.......
for long periods of bench work just a short mat will be fine....

I had a polished concrete floor and was suprised at the tools and varied dross I found in the corners and behind stuff......
I always totaly emptied my workshop of machines etc once a year.....
about now actually....gets u away from family n visitors....a big brew and a few non Christmas tunes.....brill........

Back