Microsoft.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i had a phone call the other day they said they were from micro soft, he then asked "are you having trouble with your computer crashing" "yes" i answered " ok" he said" turn your computer on " " i have not got time now" before i replied he said "what not got time" i replied "ring back on friday" "ok" he said then click no goodbye.
then i started to think about it and i thought that's strange still at this point thinking it to be true phone call,
so i went to micro softs webb site put in search a bingo it's a bl**dy scam,
thing is i had the flu when he rang so was not interested but if i had been ok i would have believed him now i think i must have been stupid to almost go along with it
me thinks very close call :oops:
they say thay can fix your computer from a distant and it won't cost a lot to sort out (small fee) they even ask for details of bank or card according to micro soft.
lets be careful out there keep sharp :shock: =D> =D>

One of my neighbours had something similar a few months ago and he kept the guy on the phone for 10 minutes before saying he doesn't have a computer. (He does and is very savvy). This scammer wasn't easily put off so said "you must have a smartphone with internet access" - another 5 minutes of saying "what's a smartphone" "I think I've probably got one, explain please" before the guy gave it up as a bad job.

Definately a scam, they'll do anything to get your details

Bob

I regularly get calls claiming to be in response to an error in my micro$oft computer as logged on their server. I just have fun with them now, nice and polite and see how long you can string them along with bull$hit ;)

We got these calls every other day until one I told the very nice man that I think had an apple, he told me he would remove my number from the list and to this day no more calls, Oh I forgot to tell him it was a Royal Gala APPLE that I was eating :lol:

adidat":372ol69x said:
daily basis here, my 90 YO Granddad winds them up good and proper!

adidat

The dirty old man. :)

BTW . My wife got a call congratulating her on the birth of her son. Not bad for a 75 year old! (or me for that matter)

I have had several of these calls, the last time I told them it was a scam, he then told me to F off. Also be careful about keeping them on the phone some can make your phone ring them, a delay when you pick up the phone can be a clue. They are total parasites, Microsoft would never contact you on the phone for anything.

newt":15u2v51s said:
a delay when you pick up the phone can be a clue.

My understanding is that a delay when you pick up the phone is due to them using a device at their end which calls your number, then once you pick up, connects you to the next available operator in their call centre. Like that, their operators don't have to waste 'valuable' minutes waiting for you to pick up the phone...

JakeS":13m646v0 said:
newt":13m646v0 said:
a delay when you pick up the phone can be a clue.

My understanding is that a delay when you pick up the phone is due to them using a device at their end which calls your number, then once you pick up, connects you to the next available operator in their call centre. Like that, their operators don't have to waste 'valuable' minutes waiting for you to pick up the phone...

Jake understand the logic and hope you are right , but I have picked up and then heard a dialling tone. I understand from a telecomm expert that it is possible to cause you to ring them, similar to ring back. I put the phone down straight away, not worth taking a chance.

I get them all the time, I have posted on this forum what I do to get them to hang up, but the Mods took it off (not sure why because using an acme thunder whistle is not illegal)

Stew

DIY Stew":2ijgfv3k said:
I get them all the time, I have posted on this forum what I do to get them to hang up, but the Mods took it off (not sure why because using an acme thunder whistle is not illegal)

Stew

Stew, can't understand why they removed it, being rude to these parasites is the only way to react, unless someone has any other ideas. I am close to changing my phone number.

newt":2ly75sgv said:
DIY Stew":2ly75sgv said:

Stew

Stew, can't understand why they removed it, being rude to these parasites is the only way to react, unless someone has any other ideas. I am close to changing my phone number.

A very loud whistle usually does the trick.

RogerS":3pntkln4 said:
newt":3pntkln4 said:
DIY Stew":3pntkln4 said:

Stew

A very loud whistle usually does the trick.
At the risk of having another post removed.........
RogerS I recommend this one
http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/pro ... t=1&page=2

Stew

As a public service I usually try to keep them talking as long as possible:

• Simply answering "yes" to every question or "I think so" works for a while.
  • If you have a cordless 'phone, say "can I put you on hold for as sec just to sort this out" and put the phone down next to a radio.
  • I occasionally say I'm the local police station, or that I now have enough technical information from the call to be able to locate and arrest them. They watch TV: they believe it.

Sometimes I even preach at them :)

Be under no illusions: they want to steal from you and will do whatever they think they can get away with. Once they have sufficient of your details, they also have your credit card and your money. Credit card security is very lax, incidentally.

Never, ever acknowledge who you are or where you are to an unknown/unexpected caller. These people often refer to you by name, and also claim to be running a survey. Poor English is a dead giveaway, too.

Caller ID

I pay a slight surcharge to Virgin for caller ID. If you don't have it, you may not know that it is sent down the line before the phone even starts to ring, giving you ample time to decide what sort of call it is before answering. With most phones, it links to your stored numbers, so that you see a name on the display for any incoming calls it recognises.

Anything with the wrong number of digits (should be eleven for a UK call or more for genuine international ones) is immediately suspicious, as is anything not starting with zero. Sometimes these calls display my own number as caller ID (or my number as part of the ID no)! There are several web sites listing dodgy numbers too, such as "Who calls me". I've used them, but can't vouch for them. A quick check is to just type the number straight into Google's search, and see what it turns up.

There are legit reasons for "Withheld" - it's an actual flag certain types of UK organisation can set, such as doctors using direct dial-out to contact patients. But "unknown" or "no. unavailable" or "out of area" are all used mainly by scammers. Most commercial companies in the UK set their main incoming number as their caller ID for all outgoing calls (this is legal too), so that incoming calls go to their management system.

Caller ID also lets you spot any premium-rate numbers trying to encourage you to call back. I recommend the "Say No to 0870-" web site, which holds alternatives to "local call rate", "national call rate" and "premium" (0900-) numbers. I have it bookmarked and it probably saves me several quid a year, at least.

I know of several people now, including myself, who've had their details cloned and used in fraud. It is very common, and even if the money stolen is refunded, there is still the need to change passwords, credit cards and even bank accounts.

That doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with them though :)

E.

PS: If you get those texts to your mobile claiming they've recovered money for you or similar, don't ever text back. If you're feeling keen you can report them I believe, but I've never bothered.

One call recently I played it all compliant then asked if I should get my bank details now. When asked 'why?' I said because they wanted to take something from me, 'clunk' call ended. I think if you go too far from the scripted options they just give up.
You've got to pay attention to the foreplay or the fun ends too soon.

This is an old scam but is definitely worth a reminder when it happens.

It's never happened to me (yet).

If you think about it, Microsoft would never contact people in this way and you did right to check their website.

I like the idea os a whistle - must make one :)

regards

Brian

Latest posts

Back