MHG Bevel Edge Chisel Set @ Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a quick search for MHG chisels on this site and only came up with a couple of comments, one good and one bad. I've no experience of them myself, no not much help really...sorry.

I have no personal experience of MHG, but the boast about "chrome vanadium steel" would put me off. I always associate this stuff with non-edge tools (wrenches, screwdrivers and the like).

Seems like the chrome and vanadium are good at making things shiny and rustproof at the expense of things woodworkers want - the ability to take and hold a good, sharp edge.

Here's what Ron Hock has to say on the subject.

They might be worth the price as a set of general purpose, DIY beaters, though.

Just my humble opinion.

Pete

PS: One of the things that most annoys me about Rutlands is that 'Voted best on test' line they have about these chisels. Their catalogues are full of similar 'Editor's Choice' stuff - but they never justify it, or quote sources. Looks like blatant lies to me.

I always think of it as best on test of the editor of the catalogue. It makes a bit more sense like that. It is slightly misleading but I have to say that the design on the rutlands catalogue is first rate and I like getting it through the door.
I know people have had issues with them but I have always had good service and because they stock ranges for such a short period of time I have had some great buys from them ( I got a 0.5 micron scheppach air filter for £50.00). It has occured to me if you are are not in a rush they are a usefull source of items and there Dakota line has a few low priced gems.
Owen

The editors choice - never occurred to me, and I'm a cynical beast at the best of times.

I have a few general beaters - just after something a bit middle ground. I think I might save the pennies and see what is on offer at Harrogate - failing that might get a set of Japanese std chisels from www.dick-gmbh.de

At 120 'ish delivered can't complain, especially for a set of 10\11 or thereabouts.

I have a set of these - great for taking out on site - fitting doors is about 90% of their use. But don't think they're upto shop use in hardwoods - i've got a set of japanese chisels for that.

Cheers

Karl

Corset":455hmeac said:
I have to say that the design on the rutlands catalogue is first rate and I like getting it through the door.

Agreed, on both counts :) On the one occasion I bought from Rutlands (a Fein shopvac a few years back) the service was faultless. And there's plenty of stuff in the catalogue I'd be buying, funds permitting.

All of which makes the silly deceptions even more annoying - they just don't need to do it.

Well I might have been a source of a bad review of these chisels on this site, and others. I had a set and they felt nice in the hand but the steel was awful :x
I used them for joiner in hard wood and the edges would crumble and fold over very easily. so easily that I could only cut a few dovetails in cherry before they needed more sharpening.

The steel really is bad and that was with about a 35 degree microbevel.

Sparky

I bought a set last time Rutlands offered £20 off and I find them to be good honest work horses. In fact, I took up another offer to buy a couple of extras to broaden the a set.

They sharpen nicely on the Tormek, but require re-touching reasonably often if working hardwood. They don’t compare with my Blue Spruce chisels, but I can’t bring myself to whack the BS’s with a mallet…!

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them for anyone needing an everyday set of chisels. In fact, my Dad is getting a set for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back