MFT Style Work Surfaces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu_2

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
*** If you're looking for the CNC template produced MFT- style bench tops, see the following topic: topic79021.html ***

Evening All

Made a couple of 4x2 sacrificial work surfaces similar to the MFT ones, the other day. Rather than making a template, or having the hassle of marking out subsequent replacements, I’ve used an identical piece of material to eliminate breakout, which is then automatically marked out ready for when it’s time for a replacement. Once drilled, I’ve used the underside as the upper surface, as the holes are slightly neater.

Drilled using a standard drill with a 20mm flat bit. Not in a hurry to repeat that process, though :D

Just thought I'd share this in case it helps somebody thinking of doing something similar.

Cheers
Stu

Attachments

• IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 252
What method did you use for spacing out the holes ? That seems to cause a lot of consternation with MFT users.

Random Orbital Bob":2i0ngi0o said:
Brilliant Stu....a very neat trick. So you did the holes freehand? Is the mdf anything special (medite or moisture resistant etc) or just the regular cheapo stuff?
Cheers Bob, drilled using a Bosch 240v drill (which doesn’t see the light of day very often) using a cheapo Toolstation 20mm flat bit (pic below). I bought a couple for about 85p each as I didn’t want to use my normal set for this. They actually proved to be ok for this task, and I only used one in the end. The mdf is just the standard stuff from Selco, which is about £13 +VAT for 8x4 sheets. Turned out that their panel saw wasn't cutting square, which I sorted for them and ended up getting a fair bit of MDF free of charge, along with the offer a free coffee and breakfast in their in-store cafe, for my troubles. :D

Grahamshed":2i0ngi0o said:
What method did you use for spacing out the holes ? That seems to cause a lot of consternation with MFT users.
Just marked out a grid with tape measure and straight edge. Based the holes on 100mm centres, and marked with a punch. Pretty painless process to be honest.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 182
I have seen these in the flesh and the photo does not do them justice :) They are very cool :)

Jon.

Thanks for sharing your method. That's my job for the weekend sorted :)

Latest posts

Back